• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When will/will the WALKING DEAD bubble burst?
7 7

3,607 posts in this topic

I recently read all 100 issues for the first time in a week and from my perspective, issue 100s death was just part of the entire storyline. I was watching main characters die over and over... so I had the sense that the original characters would all disappear at whatever point in the story Kirkman chose.

and it wasnt a wasted death. it illustrated the danger Dagen poses to Rick, as well as Ricks overconfidence leading into that issue. It was the first time he was really feeing like he had the "new reality" figured out, both the zombie AND human dangers.

THIS new threat will harden him for good, maybe turn him into an unlikable character... Which will make it easier for us when its HIS time to go.

I think Kirkman want WD to be different from other hero character series. The kind you are talking about where all the heroes are always gonna be around. Even in a zombie apocalypse world... does that sound realistic to you? The anarchic world Kirkman sees rings pretty real to me. People are the real monsters!

Good points. I guess I just feel like with the event in issue 100 the series has become different, thus jumping the shark. Personally I have lost interest.

Professionally I've had two complete runs get traded in by customers in the last ten days.

I get what you're saying

Glenn was sacrificed to make issue 100 significant, nothing more

but at the same time, in a survival horror situation I think death should feel completely random and often completely unexpected. I always thought a good ending to one of those "shoot-em-up" action movies would be in the middle of an epic shootout the main character gets a chunk of his head blown off completely without warning, in the middle of an edge of your seat action scene, by a gun fired off camera by a filler character without a single line of dialogue, and then the screen just goes black, and credits. It would be jarring to interrupt the action that way, and just make the ending pointless and sudden and without a sense of closure. Cutting off the plot, never showing that final battle where the main character saves the day or sacrifices himself to save another or something. He just becomes another one of the hundreds of guys that dies in a shootout in an action movie. Ever wonder what the story is with those sacrificial extras with polyester suits and machine guns that get wasted the second they step in front of a camera? What was their agenda for that day? Were they trying to scratch up the dough to save a hostage? Did they just get out of prison and fall back into the life they found redemption from? I think it could work if done once by a good director.

Edited by dupont2005

I recently read all 100 issues for the first time in a week and from my perspective, issue 100s death was just part of the entire storyline. I was watching main characters die over and over... so I had the sense that the original characters would all disappear at whatever point in the story Kirkman chose.

and it wasnt a wasted death. it illustrated the danger Dagen poses to Rick, as well as Ricks overconfidence leading into that issue. It was the first time he was really feeing like he had the "new reality" figured out, both the zombie AND human dangers.

THIS new threat will harden him for good, maybe turn him into an unlikable character... Which will make it easier for us when its HIS time to go.

I think Kirkman want WD to be different from other hero character series. The kind you are talking about where all the heroes are always gonna be around. Even in a zombie apocalypse world... does that sound realistic to you? The anarchic world Kirkman sees rings pretty real to me. People are the real monsters!

Good points. I guess I just feel like with the event in issue 100 the series has become different, thus jumping the shark. Personally I have lost interest.

Professionally I've had two complete runs get traded in by customers in the last ten days.

i guess, from my perspective, having known these characters for only a week. some of them maybe a day or two, 12 years of stories flew by quickly. But to you guys slogging it out over the last 100 months it must be very different feeling to see them die. I dont miss any of them because Kirkman kept repopulating the cast with new people.

its funny. i read Cerebus month by month for the last 264 issues. I often got bored and forgot where I was in the story because of the in between time. I always wondered how reading Cerebus felt to the phonebook readers who got to gobble up years of issues in one sitting.

now I know!

The bubble will burst immediately preceding my decision to sell my run.

The bubble will burst for all issues except for keys like 1,19,and 27 eventually.

Those three are the keepers. Anybody investing in the Walking Dead Weekly should think to unload them soon.

The bigger burst will be all those moderns #1s that are not Walking Dead related. A lot of people are banking that these #1s will be the new Walking Dead. The odds are there will not be another Walking Dead like mania for a long time in comics. It took Walking Dead from 2003 to grow like it did, unlike these fly by nighters who come out, and a month later their number one issues go for $30 plus on EBay. Those are the kinda speculative books that will have their bubble burst first.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

When it's $2500 on a consistent basis in November these people might look like geniuses. :whistle:

Jim

That would be buying for a 'quick flip' NOT investing over the long term. This book will NOT; in my opinion, hold its value within three to five years after the last episode of the show airs. Like I have to tell most people who read my posts dealing with speculation; time will tell.

Anyone who wants to make a quick flip on this book may do well buying raw, pressing, and getting it graded; for immediate sale. Of course, with CGC turnaround times, the bubble may burst by the time you get the darn book back to sell!

What is funny about speculative bubbles is that when you are in the 'bubble' no one sees anything but dollar signs and 'rose colored glasses.' It is the people who go against the grain who are attacked, called names, and ridiculed. Then the bubble bursts and everyone says; hey remember that guy who said this would happen; now there is a genius!

Edited by mintcollector

When it's $2500 on a consistent basis in November these people might look like geniuses. :whistle:

Jim

That would be buying for a 'quick flip' NOT investing over the long term. This book will NOT; in my opinion, hold its value within three to five years after the last episode of the show airs. Like I have to tell most people who read my posts dealing with speculation; time will tell.

Anyone who wants to make a quick flip on this book may do well buying raw, pressing, and getting it graded; for immediate sale. Of course, with CGC turnaround times, the bubble may burst by the time you get the darn book back to sell!

What is funny about speculative bubbles is that when you are in the 'bubble' no one sees anything but dollar signs and 'rose colored glasses.' It is the people who go against the grain who are attacked, called names, and ridiculed. Then the bubble bursts and everyone says; hey remember that guy who said this would happen; now there is a genius!

I think the issue with this is how low print the first few issues of the series were. That is not something that can be replaced. Supply and demand is a very real thing. Interest may wain a bit sure, but you can't replace the fact that there are so few issues out there.

I think the first issue is going to hold its value. I could see it dropping slightly, but just not that much to make it be worthless. Where I do think the bubble will burst is on non key issues of the series. The fact that random issues are going for a lot of money seems off to me.

Jim

I think the issue with this is how low print the first few issues of the series were. That is not something that can be replaced. Supply and demand is a very real thing. Interest may wain a bit sure, but you can't replace the fact that there are so few issues out there.

I think the first issue is going to hold its value. I could see it dropping slightly, but just not that much to make it be worthless. Where I do think the bubble will burst is on non key issues of the series. The fact that random issues are going for a lot of money seems off to me.

but there are 400+ 9.8's or better (and climbing). to someone that collects silver age DC, that's a ridiculously high number. that being said, i think i did a back of the envelope calculation and the 'market cap' of the slabbed TWD #1's was slightly north of $1mm, Hulk #181 (for comparisons sake) was something like $4mm.

but there are 400+ 9.8's or better (and climbing). to someone that collects silver age DC, that's a ridiculously high number.

That's what? 15-20% of the entire run? That's pretty amazing.

When the # of flippers exceeds the # of fans buying books - watch the prices fall since they're looking for a quick $ and get desperate. I don't see any signs of that happening yet. If Chew gets made and spinoffs make it to TV, it will only add fuel to the fire. Still, not buying at the prices - I guess I missed the boat. :whatev:

When the # of flippers exceeds the # of fans buying books - watch the prices fall since they're looking for a quick $ and get desperate. I don't see any signs of that happening yet. If Chew gets made and spinoffs make it to TV, it will only add fuel to the fire. Still, not buying at the prices - I guess I missed the boat. :whatev:
Not when the number of flippers of issue one exceed the number of buyers of current issues, but the number of people buying number one for four figures. Might be sooner than you think. Not everybody that buys the compendium is even remotely interested in owning a thousand dollar comic.

Not when the number of flippers of issue one exceed the number of buyers of current issues, but the number of people buying number one for four figures. Might be sooner than you think. Not everybody that buys the compendium is even remotely interested in owning a thousand dollar comic.

Good point. $1000 issues take a lot of the fans out of the market. I don't see many old school collectors dropping that kind of coin for a new series when they can pick up some relatively rare bronze age keys in 9.8 for that $$$. hm

I once found out a comic I had sitting in my collection was worth four figures, it had to go. Even though it didn't cost me that, I am just not the kind of guy to own something like that. It makes me uncomfortable for some reason.

Good point. $1000 issues take a lot of the fans out of the market. I don't see many old school collectors dropping that kind of coin for a new series when they can pick up some relatively rare bronze age keys in 9.8 for that $$$. hm

And thats the crux right there.

A few collectors of older comics are getting royally pissed that a 'modern' can command so much money.

Its simple.

Quite a few people nowadays find those older comics plain boring.

Most moderns contain dialogue and storylines that would be considered obscene/immoral/add your own term, back then, but are relevant to how society is now. So younger people find relevance with characters in modern books but couldn't give a rats-behind about some guy who looks like a lizard (or whatever).

The only exception is Batman, as he has been remade into a character for the 2010's - the last 3 films were masterpieces as stand alone movies,but as a triogy, unsurpassable.

With the exception of Iron-Man I have found the Marvel Films as exciting as paint drying.

Next-up - a talking Racoon. Really? Please.

How many times has an older character died??

Unless they are a zombie, in moderns,its just once.

At least collectors and sellers of modern comics don't go onto other age forums and be disrespectful about things those people collect.

If TWD bombs - so be it.

I would never go onto another 'age' forum and be so classless as to basically hope someones hardwon collection would go down the toilet.

And thats the crux right there.

A few collectors of older comics are getting royally pissed that a 'modern' can command so much money.

Its simple.

Quite a few people nowadays find those older comics plain boring.

Most moderns contain dialogue and storylines that would be considered obscene/immoral/add your own term, back then, but are relevant to how society is now. So younger people find relevance with characters in modern books but couldn't give a rats-behind about some guy who looks like a lizard (or whatever).

The only exception is Batman, as he has been remade into a character for the 2010's - the last 3 films were masterpieces as stand alone movies,but as a triogy, unsurpassable.

With the exception of Iron-Man I have found the Marvel Films as exciting as paint drying.

Next-up - a talking Racoon. Really? Please.

How many times has an older character died??

Unless they are a zombie, in moderns,its just once.

At least collectors and sellers of modern comics don't go onto other age forums and be disrespectful about things those people collect.

If TWD bombs - so be it.

I would never go onto another 'age' forum and be so classless as to basically hope someones hardwon collection would go down the toilet.

This. End thread.