• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,984 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2020 at 8:58 PM,  ChrispyC66 said: 

Modern Mag (No FT) - 2 books

• Delivered - 12/16
  • Received - 12/18
  • Scheduled for Grading - 1/13
  • Grading/QC - 1/17
  • Finalized/Imaged/Shipped - 1/24 (+28 WD) 
  • Due to Arrive - 1/28

Closer to getting back my 1st print New Mutants GN and Marvel Preview #21 Moon Knight back. :wishluck:

28 days Start to Finish for Modern Mag doesn’t sound too bad. 

Edited by ChrispyC66

On 1/23/2020 at 7:55 PM, ChrispyC66 said:

Wait! Are you saying you weren’t charged for your order until 1/20, the day it was graded?

Somewhere in one of these threads last week we were discussing the billing of CGC grading. I've been sending books in since 2003 and 99% of the time i dont get charged until the books show shipped. That being said i was charged last week for 25 books when recieved in a "cheap" modern tier. But my last submission last week is at grading, 3 books, higher value....no charges yet. So not sure what to make of the billing cycles lately.

My comment in the other thread was basically i'm getting charged sooner or later, i really don't care when they do it

Edited by KryptoSpidey

I don’t understand how the whole timing and pricing thing works. Why should a grader care how old the book is?  Does it take more special training for old books?  Do old books go to a special department?  Why?

i want to pre screen my ff 50 to 100. If it’s below 9 I don’t pay right?

I understand first class standard and economy based on economics. I don’t understand why modern books get a massive price break.

I sent in 4 books economy for pressing and grading. Silver age. Still well over 100 buck a pop. I don’t think people are paying 100 a pop for their moderns...

3 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

I don’t understand how the whole timing and pricing thing works. Why should a grader care how old the book is?  Does it take more special training for old books?  Do old books go to a special department?  Why?

I understand first class standard and economy based on economics. I don’t understand why modern books get a massive price break.

I sent in 4 books economy for pressing and grading. Silver age. Still well over 100 buck a pop. I don’t think people are paying 100 a pop for their moderns...

If you pre-screened your FF #50 at "9", if it didn't hit at least a "9", you'd pay $5 rejection fee, plus shipping, that book deserves to go ahead and be graded.....lol if you're into that :) 

As to the rest of your question, it all comes down to what it is insured for and how fast you want it back....

The reason "Moderns are Cheap" is because they are insured for under $200, if they're not, up the tier's they go :foryou: @Karl Liebl

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

If you pre-screened your FF #50 at "9", if it didn't hit at least a "9", you'd pay $5 rejection fee, plus shipping, that book deserves to go ahead and be graded.....lol if you're into that :) 

5 buck rejection fee and postage hmm. Might be worthwhile for my 60 to 100 books

21 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

If I'm understanding you correctly...

I'm right there with you. I don't understand the different TATs. I would think a 50 year old issue of FF and a 1 year old Spiderman would take the same amount of time to grade. As far as the different costs, I think it has something to do with insurance (although I don't fully understand it), but why should a FF 153 cost more to grade than a FF 154?

1 minute ago, Gaard said:

If I'm understanding you correctly...

I'm right there with you. I don't understand the different TATs. I would think a 50 year old issue of FF and a 1 year old Spiderman would take the same amount of time to grade. As far as the different costs, I think it has something to do with insurance (although I don't fully understand it), but why should a FF 153 cost more to grade than a FF 154?

Yeahhhh lol and what is so economical about 100 buck a book??  It dont seem cheap to me!  If all moderns 100 buck too if if. And don’t say they don’t need pressing because I know people press new stuff!

1 hour ago, Karl Liebl said:

200 each or total?

$200 each under the modern tier for $20... a piece, if you have a premium account which gives you $150 credit, it only costs $18 a piece and only costs $150 and you get that in credit so might as well.... right?

Value tier is $27 a piece with the $200 insurance for pre -1975 books bit takes a long time unless you do fast track, with a premium account it's only $25 And some change a piece.... plus there is the $150 credit to be used

On 1/23/2020 at 6:55 PM, ChrispyC66 said:

Wait! Are you saying you weren’t charged for your order until 1/20, the day it was graded?

That's right. It was a radical departure from what I'm used to (charged at time of Received).

I haven't posted it yet because it hasn't reached F/I/S status, but I had another submission (Standard) tier, that had a Pressing. I was charged by CCS and then charged by CGC for grading after they received it back from CCS. 

Maybe CGC is changing up how they bill people? I mean, I see the point when you're a dealer who could have thousands of dollars tied up at the front end and have to wait upwards of months before you receive a product back that you can sell.