• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,984 posts in this topic

We are now approaching a 6 month elapsed time turn around for Moderns (at least 21 elapsed weeks for the grading wait and then add a few more weeks for registration, encapsulation and shipping). Delays are now also building on so called Fast Track, it is becoming a real mess.

As an aside, I really hope CGC remove the "lie" of estimated turn-around times (20 days for Moderns!), they only exist in the same dream as flying pigs, they are just nonsense. Also business days means little, change this back to the order arrival date you are now shipping on (we can understand this).

I have five small batches of comics in progress and I can't see any of them arriving before Christmas and some were with CGC in late June. I might get lucky but I'm losing faith now. Someone give me hope!

We are now approaching a 6 month elapsed time turn around for Moderns (at least 21 elapsed weeks for the grading wait and then add a few more weeks for registration, encapsulation and shipping). Delays are now also building on so called Fast Track, it is becoming a real mess.

As an aside, I really hope CGC remove the "lie" of estimated turn-around times (20 days for Moderns!), they only exist in the same dream as flying pigs, they are just nonsense. Also business days means little, change this back to the order arrival date you are now shipping on (we can understand this).

I have five small batches of comics in progress and I can't see any of them arriving before Christmas and some were with CGC in late June. I might get lucky but I'm losing faith now. Someone give me hope!

+1

It seem's even if you have a monopoly you can still kind of "screw the pooch" and self sabatoge a great business model where you really have no competition. It is kind of hard to fathom why they are letting this happen.

-Is it apathy or just not having the ability to acquire the new grader's and required support staff, if so the "investors" would pipe up because of potential profit loss?

-Is this a possible lead up to a "new" grading company to "compete" with CGC with the illusion of competition to kick start the market with "new" and "improved" grades?

-Or just the beginning of the end of this cycle of graded comic collecting (shrug)

-Or just a innocent victim of there own success and there investor's are not paying attention or care?

I am very frustrated as you can probably tell; it can't be that hard to train graders on Moderns as the breadth of grades is quite narrow in comparison with older comics so I am sure you could get some reasonable graders up and running within a few months under the supervision of a more experienced grader. Also, if there are good graders available elsewhere (who don't want to move to the Sarasota area), maybe CGC could set up a satellite grading unit there to take up some of the workload and then expand it as required. Having CGC in Canada and the UK could help as well as other parts of the US.

It does seem a little silly not taking advantage of all this demand for their services as more people will get frustrated and Fast Track will start getting some really big delays as the basic services become unusable; then some will stop using the services altogether once everything is clogged up. I have a large set I would like graded but I am holding back at the moment as I don't think I could wait 6 months for them to come back and I can't afford fast track.

A competitor would be really good to have but there isn't a viable company out there at the moment (unfortunately PGX can't be trusted due to a number of well reported issues in the past).

I would like to think CGC are a victim of their own success and some of this is down to poor planning but I do hope they can turn this problem around before it is too late.

I really think there is more complexity than just "hiring more graders." Setting up another site could take months, as would training any new people. Pulling off an experienced grader to train, and the monitor anything a new employee is checking pulls more productive employees off the production "line."

Then, once you go through the training process, retaining employees is another problem.

Honestly, I do logistics and scheduling like this at work. Not that they don't have someone who can do this, but I'd love to have access to their whole process, facilities, and production numbers to see if there's an efficiency issues I could see. . . just for giggles mostly.

My Fast Track value and economis dated 10//01/12 show one "graded" last Thursday. The other two showed scheduled to be graded, so I assume Monday. By my count 25-27 days and the encapsulation, as noted,may take a couple of weeks.

Forget hiring new graders, how about starting with encapsulators. That cannot be rocket science and would clear up some of the bottleneck.

I agree but the point is they have had many many months to sort this out.

I really think there is more complexity than just "hiring more graders." Setting up another site could take months, as would training any new people. Pulling off an experienced grader to train, and the monitor anything a new employee is checking pulls more productive employees off the production "line."

Then, once you go through the training process, retaining employees is another problem.

Honestly, I do logistics and scheduling like this at work. Not that they don't have someone who can do this, but I'd love to have access to their whole process, facilities, and production numbers to see if there's an efficiency issues I could see. . . just for giggles mostly.

I just sent In a sizable number of books in the economy tier. The form said average 20 days, I've been informed it is currently running 5-6 months. :censored::frustrated:

Assuming you must not have logged onto these boards in about a year. lol

Or checked the CGC services & fees page where the current turnaround time is listed:

http://www.cgccomics.com/services/Services.aspx

:ohnoez:

The most irritating thing is the fact that this is their board.

The bloody employees read this!

Is it so beneath them to comment on this topic.

If another competitor comes along or PGX clean up (ie get bought out) the CGC will have a rocket shoved so far up their jacksey,as people jump to the competition,they won't know what hit them.

As for UK boardies - there are enough respected ones out there to seriously give thought to setting up in competition surely?

This wait-list has to be addressed.

As for UK boardies - there are enough respected ones out there to seriously give thought to setting up in competition surely?

The initial outlay would be astronomical. Plus the desire for graded books over here is relatively miniscule so business would be sparse at best.