• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long before my ceiling caves in.

53 posts in this topic

10-15,000 pounds. If the comics are bagged and boarded it is on the high side of that number.

If you are stacking them 6 long boxes tall, then you are probably around 100 pounds per square foot. I think most modern frame buildings are designed around 40psf.

I wouldn't be sitting under it....

:eek: Anyone wanna buy some books.

Can you get access into the joist space/ceiling from below and see what size/depth you have in the floor system?

A good home inspector should be able to determine whether there is a structural issue, as well if the weight concerns you have are real and/or if there are other contributing factors.

I would go for a structural engineer. That is most likely what a good home inspector is going to recommend anyway.

Stick built homes need to be reinforced if you have a pool table on the second floor. I imagine the weight of these books is tenfold the weight of a pool table.

My house is brick

Yes, but your flooring/joists are wood, and depending on where the load-bearing support(s) are that hold up the second floor - you may be experiencing sagging. Depending on what is in the room below it, the simple, easy solution is to get floor/screw jacks to assist holding up the second floor. I've used those before in an older home I owned (120 years old)

Agreed. Most floors are not perfectly flat. They just look so to the naked eye.

Sagging is a normal thing and on older houses you can have quite a bit of bowing going on.

If you're worried, a few $100 for an inspection is cheap insurance.

Last week I was working in my main comic room on a bookshelf set up and wanted to take some photos of the end result.

When I am working in this room I normally just have the light on, the blind and curtains are always shut and have been for years.

To get a better photo, I decide to open the curtains and let in some light, I was shocked at the gap between my window frame.

In this room is about 70,000 comics in filing cabinets and long boxes, also about 500+ Hardcovers & slipcases.

I wonder what weight is in all this and how long before I am killed in my computer room directly below. :tonofbricks:

5-1.jpg

6.jpg

Considering that's an external wall I would be surprised if the weight of the comics had created that gap. The sill has actually pulled away from the window and the floor moving wouldn't do that I don't think. If the curtains have been shut for years there won't have been any air getting to the window, so it wouldn't surprise me if the frame and sill had got damp and warped. Check around your skirting and see if there's any movement there.

That much weight in a room probably isn't safe, but I doubt it's directly responsible for that problem.

When I remodeled, I knew my comic collection would be headed upstairs (35,000+ books, statues, and toys). Since it was going to be new construction, I had the outside footing poured deeper than what was required, and my joists were all 2x12's underneath. The shelving I built for my books ended up being anchored to the wall to help distribute the weight better. Seeing what might happen, I'm glad I thought about the potential weight before we started construction.

Good luck with whatever you go with as a solution. :wishluck:

A good home inspector should be able to determine whether there is a structural issue, as well if the weight concerns you have are real and/or if there are other contributing factors.

I would go for a structural engineer. That is most likely what a good home inspector is going to recommend anyway.

Stick built homes need to be reinforced if you have a pool table on the second floor. I imagine the weight of these books is tenfold the weight of a pool table.

My house is brick

Yes, but your flooring/joists are wood, and depending on where the load-bearing support(s) are that hold up the second floor - you may be experiencing sagging. Depending on what is in the room below it, the simple, easy solution is to get floor/screw jacks to assist holding up the second floor. I've used those before in an older home I owned (120 years old)

I dont think she will be happy with that. :fear:

I havent said anything to her yet, she rarely goes into this room.

I'm kinda impressed you have 70,000 comics AND a wife.

I had a look of the outside today and everything looks okay, the next room to my main room is a bathroom, there is no concern to be seen at the window sill.

The next room along is another comic room what used to have 25000 comics in it until recently. There is slight cracking but no separation.

Comicroom2.jpg

My main bedroom ( No comics ) and the other room at the front of the house ( 10000 comics ) is perfect

Bedroom.jpg

Its gotta be the comics and I guess I need to reduce the books in this room. :(

I'd say first thing is to take those doublestacked filed cabinest down that cuts the weight at that point in half (assuming both cabinets are full)

Move them to a room that is not overloaded and put them wherever there is the most support (corner?)

I'd say first thing is to take those doublestacked filed cabinest down that cuts the weight at that point in half (assuming both cabinets are full)

Move them to a room that is not overloaded and put them wherever there is the most support (corner?)

All cabinets are full, they are only stacked because I havent got anywhere else to put them, I even have a couple in the garage, I guess I need a bigger house or a smaller collection. :cry:

I had a look of the outside today and everything looks okay, the next room to my main room is a bathroom, there is no concern to be seen at the window sill.

The next room along is another comic room what used to have 25000 comics in it until recently. There is slight cracking but no separation.

Comicroom2.jpg

My main bedroom ( No comics ) and the other room at the front of the house ( 10000 comics ) is perfect

Bedroom.jpg

Its gotta be the comics and I guess I need to reduce the books in this room. :(

Feel free to ship any horror titles to me. I'll store them for you. :foryou: