• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Acquires Classics Inc - Response to your Questions

1,162 posts in this topic

Resto removal?

Classics will still offer this service. However, Classics can now work with CGC to ensure all removal is achieved before grading which will eliminate wasted CGC fees.

:banana:

got a couple of double covers with resto on the outer cover i was not sending in because i didn't want to chance them coming back purple. now i can get 'er done.

That's an interesting scenario there. The outer cover has resto but the inner cover is the one that gets the grade hm

Resto removal?

Classics will still offer this service. However, Classics can now work with CGC to ensure all removal is achieved before grading which will eliminate wasted CGC fees.

got a couple of double covers with resto on the outer cover i was not sending in because i didn't want to chance them coming back purple. now i can get 'er done.

That's an interesting scenario there. The outer cover has resto but the inner cover is the one that gets the grade hm

I'd just remove the cover myself.

Resto removal?

I'd just remove the cover myself.

Why? I wouldn't as the book is going to be more valuable as a double cover regardless of what the outer cover grade is.

And I can't imagine taking the out cover of a book :shrug:

Still didn't address the main problem.

"We are working as hard as we can to catch up"

Here's a couple of idea's.

Don't send graders to cons for witnessing sigs.

Run more than one shift on the encapsulation machine

Hire more unqualified guys to do the grunt work.

Graders should grade - not answer phones,go to cons or be posting on here.

That annoyed the hell out of me to see a grader posting in moderns.

It doesn't take a mental giant to operate a machine,put slabs in boxes,type stuff and drive a van to the post office.

If you have 8 graders then rotate them so the facility is going 24/7.

Pay them overtime.

If you can't hire more - pay more.

You are making a mint here guys.

This isn't a rant,its plain old common sense.

Spot on Andy (thumbs u

I like your proposition though to at least have such information linked to the CGC book number. As an example, it could be included with the grader's notes (even though you still need to pay for them..). This would be better than nothing.
My only concern is that by NOT providing this information, they are perpetuating ignorance which means they are not aiding customers in making decisions with information that THEY do know and have on hand. If they don't do this as a mitigation factor of acquiring the company into the fold it will impact my level of trust with them.

They can't simply aquire a conservation company to help increase income by selling services and then keep customers in the dark as to which books they have or have not performed the service on. If they do try and do this there will be a serious push back and repercussions for them. Obviously, this can only be done in a moving forward format.

I'm hoping that they actually do respond as quickly as possible on how information regarding services ordered from CI while under the CCG umbrella will be available for customers.. It would actually make grader's notes worthwhile, and do a lot to minimize the CPR mess (which is going to be a negative effect of the acquisition but may help improve our TATs).

I totally agree with you. I hope CGC administrators are taking notes here and will answer these concerns.

How do you know he was posting on company time? Maybe he wasn't at work, or if he was, he was on lunch/coffee/cig break? (shrug)

And apart from anything else, I think we should see more of the CGC employees here. I would certain help some with the less-than-stellar PR they currently get.

Thank you all for your feedback on our latest acquisition. While it is difficult to get into an ongoing dialogue with the many CGC users, we would like, at a minimum, to respond to some of the questions that have been raised.

We have every intention to continue to operate transparently and welcome both criticism and thoughts on how we can best serve the hobby.

While many of you are very critical about some of our business decisions and other operating issues, I will address the following:

Turnaround times

No one is more frustrated than all of us at CGC with how far behind we have fallen and we are doing everything in our power to get caught up. Grading is not a business that can be rushed for obvious reasons. Being a CGC grader is not as easy as some of you may think and hiring qualified people that want to grade all day versus working in the marketplace is not an easy hire. We are constantly looking for qualified graders and if any of you would like to apply, we will be happy to evaluate your skills.

What are the necessary qualifications?

I'd love to grade comics all day :cloud9:

It would certainly be less stressful than the way I earn a living now

How do you know he was posting on company time? Maybe he wasn't at work, or if he was, he was on lunch/coffee/cig break? (shrug)

And apart from anything else, I think we should see more of the CGC employees here. I would certain help some with the less-than-stellar PR they currently get.

Because it was during working hours.

I would rather have hoped that someone with your respect on these boards would have supported some of my other suggestions rather than nit-picking.

TaT are very annoying for some of us.

Constant contests between long standing members of this forum:

a) Don't help solve a problem

b) Present a united front with which CGC might actually take our concerns seriously

c) Do anything but discourage new members to join.

This thread has again turned into a press v non-press, dealer vs dealer and a chance to score some points.

Meanwhile CGC are sitting back with a cuban stogie, a 40 yr old malt and laughing.

It is nothing short of disgraceful that a company has crept out to a 6 month delay without any consequences at all, as the only people with the clout to make them accountable are too busy playing 'my knobs bigger than yours'.

And its not even Friday Night for you blokes.

Because it was during working hours.

I would rather have hoped that someone with your respect on these boards would have supported some of my other suggestions rather than nit-picking.

TaT are very annoying for some of us.

Constant contests between long standing members of this forum:

a) Don't help solve a problem

b) Present a united front with which CGC might actually take our concerns seriously

c) Do anything but discourage new members to join.

This thread has again turned into a press v non-press, dealer vs dealer and a chance to score some points.

Meanwhile CGC are sitting back with a cuban stogie, a 40 yr old malt and laughing.

It is nothing short of disgraceful that a company has crept out to a 6 month delay without any consequences at all, as the only people with the clout to make them accountable are too busy playing 'my knobs bigger than yours'.

And its not even Friday Night for you blokes.

No clue why you've got the hump, but you need to chill.

I was not 'nit-picking', I was simply picking up on an aspect that I think CGC get wrong and have got wrong since Borock left and that is of presenting a public face. It might help them with all manner of current problems, including turn-around times.

So get off your high horse and go flounce somewhere else.

Will CGC disclose pressing on the label for the books they will now know for 100% sure have been pressed ?

It would be unwise on their part. 2c

Because the general public will begin assuming books without that note were not pressed. Which would be untrue.

+1

Curious, why do the graders have to 'grade all day'? I can see how that would be a difficult sell and would result in some quick burnout. Why not set up a job rotation process where a grader grades books for 4 hours per day then swaps with someone else (another grader) and moves to encapsulation, customer service or something else for the remainder of the day.

FT

Pat

Dale

Bob

Bedrock

namisgr

Miles

Roy

Theagenes

Waid

I add dave - humantorch

How about Mark Zaid?

How about no.

Alright already. I'll throw in my hat as a sane and reasonable collector with only one or two boardies that hate me. :sumo:

Now re-stating the obvious that if CGC can confirm that Matt has removed enough resto to confirm a unrestored status, then they know where the book came from and are working too closely to be considered separate. Otherwise every book with resto would have to be a call to Matt's office to confirm or deny his efforts, be it his work or just another restored book that was found wanting.

A quick call to the owner of said book and a form update and now Matt's on the case to remove the resto.

What. You received a call about your OO book that has resto....no problem. It can be removed for a price. But you bought it off the stands....how's that possible? Don't ask, just fill out the form. You'll be billed later and will be happy with the grade as the grade is the grade is the grade.

Please explain away the connundrum I see?

No. Why would they? They haven't in the past and what would make you think they would change that stance now?

My question was directed to Steve Eichenbaum, I didn't know you were working for CGC and could answer for them.

As for why they would, one of the reasons that was given in the past is that pressing was very hard to detect and then that there was no way for CGC to confirm that a book has been pressed or not.

Now that this is going to change for several books, I would like to know what will be CGC stance for the books that they now know for sure that have been pressed.

Thank you in advance Mr Eichenbaum for your upcoming answer to my question.

My man, my opinion (and I don't think CGC is going to answer it which is why I'm giving it) is that CGC will not notate pressing on the label because it's impossible to detect with any great degree of accuracy.

Even if they notated all the books that came through the new service that were known to be pressed, the playing field would not be the same because they would not be able to notate (or detect it) on books that did not come through the new service.

The job of the grader is simply to grade the book as it sits in front of them with no prior knowledge of the book.