• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

I remember all the moaning about Iron Fist being whitewashed, was so annoying. I remember them even asking the asian actress if she was upset about the fact that Iron Fist was not asian as well.

I was not looking for it, it was everywhere when the show first came about, I was talking about this with some friends that if they wanted an asian martial artist, they have Shang Chai, no need to change IF.

22 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

U cannot compare projected demand on a property/books that haven't hatched yet

I'm not comparing projected demand, where did I say that?  Currently we're talking about a book that's a third-tier Marvel superhero with limited publishing history, selling for comparable amounts to B level characters.  What's next, this book will sell for what the first appearance of Ghost Rider is selling for?

1 hour ago, spreads said:

I'm not comparing projected demand, where did I say that?  Currently we're talking about a book that's a third-tier Marvel superhero with limited publishing history, selling for comparable amounts to B level characters.  What's next, this book will sell for what the first appearance of Ghost Rider is selling for?

It wouldn't surprise me if it did - the thing that confounds us comic collectors is the fact that movie spec price jumps do not take into account the things that we know about the market i.e. the relative scarceness of MS5 in comparison to SME15 so it looks ridiculous.  But movie spec-ers appear to be much more linear - Shang Chi hotter than Ghost Rider as a property so prices go crazy. I'm not defending it or even explaining it, just trying to make semblance of what it appears to be.

3 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

It wouldn't surprise me if it did - the thing that confounds us comic collectors is the fact that movie spec price jumps do not take into account the things that we know about the market i.e. the relative scarceness of MS5 in comparison to SME15 so it looks ridiculous.  But movie spec-ers appear to be much more linear - Shang Chi hotter than Ghost Rider as a property so prices go crazy. I'm not defending it or even explaining it, just trying to make semblance of what it appears to be.

If that happens, then god help us all....I think that would be the moment in time when we can pinpoint the collapse of the comic back issue market!

31 minutes ago, spreads said:

If that happens, then god help us all....I think that would be the moment in time when we can pinpoint the collapse of the comic back issue market!

It sort of has been happening though - 1st appearance of Groot, Carol Danvers, Ultron, Steppenwolf, Black Panther etc. to lesser or greater degree just skyrocketing and passing much more historically "important" 1st appearances

Avengers 195 & 196 - sell now or wait until a trailer comes out? I think I have 3 of each but was not sure when the price on these movie books typically peaks - with the announcement, the trailer, or when the movie comes out

Edited by rsouxlja7

6 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

It sort of has been happening though - 1st appearance of Groot, Carol Danvers, Ultron, Steppenwolf, Black Panther etc. to lesser or greater degree just skyrocketing and passing much more historically "important" 1st appearances

With these dramatic increase in prices for these books, maybe now is the time to cash in?  The next recession will surely drop the value of these books right?

It just appears the stars have aligned:  Current strong economic market, exceptionally great Marvel Movies driving up prices.  I haven't been to a comic convention in years. 

Is current demand really driving up these books or are scammers manipulating the market right now just to flip books for profit?

14 minutes ago, Mjolnir! said:

With these dramatic increase in prices for these books, maybe now is the time to cash in?  The next recession will surely drop the value of these books right?

It just appears the stars have aligned:  Current strong economic market, exceptionally great Marvel Movies driving up prices.  I haven't been to a comic convention in years. 

Is current demand really driving up these books or are scammers manipulating the market right now just to flip books for profit?

It's hard to tell. There have definitely been some hardcore manipulations of the market - the 1st magazine appearance of StarLord comes to mind.  I have gotten about 80% out of comics so that should tell you where I am at.

1 hour ago, Mjolnir! said:

No one really knows....let me give anecdotal evidence.  This past weekend I saw a good collection of comics, I was very very close to buying it but couldn't quite work out a dealer with the seller.  He ended up meeting the books from a larger out of town dealer that met him a distance away.

The point is, he tried to list this collection in 2012 and said no one (or very few) people were as interested in it compared to now.  Locally I've noticed there is a lot more competition for collections, and the individual buyers more and more seem to be flippers. 

For these key books from the bronze/silver/copper era I don't think the market could be manipulated by any one individual or group of individuals....at least not in anything but the shortest of time periods.

Edited by spreads

2 hours ago, Mjolnir! said:

It's been at these prices for years.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=avenger+196&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

I go to a con and it isn't about the books its about the character, the costume and the cos playing, this is why keys are going up in price fast. It is all based on non readers loving the character but not the book. We can complain or smile and sell when the book (Character) is hot... than buy another book we want with the profit. And sometimes repeat the whole thing. 

My problem is I love the books so I think I'll sell but hardly ever do. 

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Well that's my point.  The current financial bull market just hit 10 years in duration.  Prior to that, comics were not at these elevated levels for demand and pricing.  If memory serves, the last recession ended in 2008 which correlates to the time frame Marvel Movies began it's remarkable run to give these characters unprecedented exposure to the masses.

If you look at other sectors in the market, everything appears to be expensive:  Housing, higher education, vehicles...look now at current duration of contracts to pay back loans from the traditional 3-4 years to 7-10 years is yet another example.  People wouldn't be able to afford them if not for the extended contracts.  Healthcare is another example.  

I have my doubts how long this obsession with these characters will last.  The next national recession is inevitable.  How long and how deep it will be is anyone's guess.  

Maybe it is time to sell while the iron is hot for these titles right now.  I don't know, I could be wrong but It feels like the stars and planets are in perfect alignment right now.  There are no guarantees Marvel or Disney will/can keep producing great movies.  I don't know, but when you have this high of demand for obscure characters driving up prices to these levels, something isn't right.

It can't be right without some sort of manipulative deception going on.  Again I could be wrong.  Help, can anyone bring sanity/logic to this comic market frenzy that's going on right now?    

Edited by Mjolnir!

21 minutes ago, Mjolnir! said:

Well that's my point.  The current financial bull market just hit 10 years in duration.  Prior to that, comics were not at these elevated levels for demand and pricing.  If memory serves, the last recession ended in 2008 which correlates to the time frame Marvel Movies began it's remarkable run to give these characters unprecedented exposure to the masses.

If you look at other sectors in the market, everything appears to be expensive:  Housing, higher education, vehicles...look now at current duration of contracts to pay back loans from the traditional 3-4 years to 7-10 years is yet another example.  People wouldn't be able to afford them if not for the extended contracts.  Healthcare is another example.  

I have my doubts how long this obsession with these characters will last.  The next national recession is inevitable.  How long and how deep it will be is anyone's guess.  

Maybe it is time to sell while the iron is hot for these titles right now.  I don't know, I could be wrong but It feels like the stars and planets are in perfect alignment right now.  There are no guarantees Marvel or Disney will/can keep producing great movies.  I don't know, but when you have this high of demand for obscure characters driving up prices to these levels, something isn't right.

It can't be right without some sort of manipulative deception going on.  Again I could be wrong.  Help, can anyone bring sanity/logic to this comic market frenzy that's going on right now?    

Um, it was recently announced Taskmaster is going to be in the Black Widow movie.

8 hours ago, spreads said:

No one really knows....let me give anecdotal evidence.  This past weekend I saw a good collection of comics, I was very very close to buying it but couldn't quite work out a dealer with the seller.  He ended up meeting the books from a larger out of town dealer that met him a distance away.

The point is, he tried to list this collection in 2012 and said no one (or very few) people were as interested in it compared to now.  Locally I've noticed there is a lot more competition for collections, and the individual buyers more and more seem to be flippers. 

For these key books from the bronze/silver/copper era I don't think the market could be manipulated by any one individual or group of individuals....at least not in anything but the shortest of time periods.

Sounds like the housing market in 2007 . . . :whistle:

5 hours ago, Grib said:

I go to a con and it isn't about the books its about the character, the costume and the cos playing, this is why keys are going up in price fast. It is all based on non readers loving the character but not the book. We can complain or smile and sell when the book (Character) is hot... than buy another book we want with the profit. And sometimes repeat the whole thing. 

My problem is I love the books so I think I'll sell but hardly ever do. 

We all love the books - that's why we're here. :sumo: BUT, many of us have tens of thousands of books (seriously) so how can we resist cashing in on any one of them at any given time? We can't and we shouldn't, because we know we can pull any short box out and spend all freakin' day with it!  :luhv: Even IF the "keys" have been sold. For example, Iron Man #55 may be long gone from your collection, but I can dare say you'd love sitting down with IM 49 - 57 w/o 55. :grin:

Edited by divad

18 hours ago, rsouxlja7 said:

Avengers 195 & 196 - sell now or wait until a trailer comes out? I think I have 3 of each but was not sure when the price on these movie books typically peaks - with the announcement, the trailer, or when the movie comes out

Collectors keep one for themselves, right? Keep the best set and sell the rest.

19 hours ago, rsouxlja7 said:

Sell when the trailer comes out. These comics should continue to go up in value for a while.

My friend just told me it's going to be The Ultimate Taskmaster, the one that has the same mask as Crossbones, lol, guess they'll save a few bucks on props there then! Also, he has different powers, a bit more like absorbing man, lol, I give up with these disney films.