• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Inhuman Fiend said:

Sorry to sidetrack but seeing this just reminds me of the amazing, epic thread in General where Neal Adams popped in maybe 12-13 years ago. The OP was some former comic artist (Michael something, I had vaguely heard of him) arguing about the earth's tectonic plates (or something along those lines) and apparently he's friends with Adams who is passionate about that topic...and Neal himself jumped into the discussion. Somewhere in the thread they strayed off the topic (thank God, lol) and he responded to a question about why he drew Batman shirtless on that cover even though it's a one-piece costume. It was fascinating. Of course after that he was hit with an avalanche of other questions and disappeared. Anybody else remember that?

:hi:

That was awesome.

Sorry to sidetrack but seeing this just reminds me of the amazing, epic thread in General where Neal Adams popped in maybe 12-13 years ago. The OP was some former comic artist (Michael something, I had vaguely heard of him) arguing about the earth's tectonic plates (or something along those lines) and apparently he's friends with Adams who is passionate about that topic...and Neal himself jumped into the discussion. Somewhere in the thread they strayed off the topic (thank God, lol) and he responded to a question about why he drew Batman shirtless on that cover even though it's a one-piece costume. It was fascinating. Of course after that he was hit with an avalanche of other questions and disappeared. Anybody else remember that?

So what was the answer? 

3 hours ago, Inhuman Fiend said:

no. but his son spyda used to frequent here a bit. maybe he still does, i dunno.

@dikran1 Heck I don't even remember exactly, I think he said something about the fight being bare-chested but he didn't want to leave Batman lying there with no pants on even though R'as was actually holding them, lol

underoos

9 minutes ago, Rip said:

And I argued with them about the earth tectonic plates. It's a bunch a woo-woo.

I've met him a couple times in person since but didn't want to pester him on it. He's still one of my favorite artists.

I met him at a big contemporary art show at the javitz, not a comic convention. I dunno if he is brusk with folks at comic conventions, but he seemed very pleasant there surrounded by non-comic folks, a few of whom knew him, a few more recognized his images, over half of the crowd being women, not smelly guys...

3 hours ago, I am not Glenda said:

Its clear you don't need charts, data, math or anything else to know in general newsstands are harder to find and even harder to find in high grade & anyone who has been collecting comics for any period of time knows this to be a fact,. I grew up buying my books at either my local comic shop or at 7/11 and anyone who has had any experience buying from a 7/11 rack know just how bent, beat and damaged those books were in the 1970/80s finding a 9.8 today from one of those racks is like finding gold. That's if you can get my Laffie Taffi finger prints off the book.

That's a great individual experience you had. Good for you!

Some people just don't know when to stop. doh!

1 hour ago, the blob said:
4 hours ago, Inhuman Fiend said:

no. but his son spyda used to frequent here a bit. maybe he still does, i dunno.

Did you actually miss Neal Adams' epic introduction here?

2 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

That's a great individual experience you had. Good for you!

Some people just don't know when to stop. doh!

"in general newsstands are harder to find and even harder to find in high grade", no, not necessarily for books from the early into mid-80s, actually, often the opposite, which is the point folks were making. I'm still going to list my books from 1983 as "newsstands" and hope to make more money from it, basically because  I am a terrible person

3 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Did you actually miss Neal Adams' epic introduction here?

I don't see any comment from me in that thread, so possibly, yes. I did not waste as much time here then, back in August 2005, my wife was 8 months pregnant, so I was worrying about a lot of other things.

33 minutes ago, the blob said:

I don't see any comment from me in that thread, so possibly, yes. I did not waste as much time here then, back in August 2005, my wife was 8 months pregnant, so I was worrying about a lot of other things.

It was 24 pages of mind-numbing scientific debate...mostly...with some priceless Neal Adams nuggets scattered in. Easy to miss! The only two things I remember about the thread was that my favorite artist participated, and, that I never realized how many geologists we have on the boards! lol

1 minute ago, Inhuman Fiend said:

It was 24 pages of mind-numbing scientific debate...mostly...with some priceless Neal Adams nuggets scattered in. Easy to miss! The only two things I remember about the thread was that my favorite artist participated, and, that I never realized how many geologists we have on the boards! lol

honestly, i tend not to get sucked into those types of threads nowadays either