• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Superman 4 from the overprinted 1987 series has finally become something. 1st Bloodsport.. I never picked it up because the cover art was ugly to me.. but I had a feeling over the years it could one day become something and today is that day

Looks like it was yesterday. Those flew off the bay...

16 hours ago, littledoom said:

Superman 4 from the overprinted 1987 series has finally become something. 1st Bloodsport.. I never picked it up because the cover art was ugly to me.. but I had a feeling over the years it could one day become something and today is that day

Also the 1st Maggie Sawyer

On 8/24/2020 at 3:53 AM, littledoom said:

Superman from the overprinted 1987 series has finally become something. 1st ... I never picked it up because the cover art was ugly to me.. but I had a feeling over the years it could one day become something and today is that day

On 8/24/2020 at 4:37 AM, PeterPark said:

Looks like it was yesterday. Those flew off the bay...

16 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Also the 1st Maggie

Managed to take 9 of them off eBay for £52 the moment that Elba was announced  lol

Going through the Usagi sold listings, it's another reminder to me how arbitrary and weird comic collectors are. Even the 1st print of Usagi #1 is selling for 2x or more the price of Usagi Summer Special #1, which is the first solo issue of Usagi, predating the regular #1 by almost a full year. I think Summer Special is really overlooked at the moment, and I also think the other appearances between Albedo #4 and the regular #1 are still under the radar. 

29 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

... I also think the other appearances between Albedo #4 and the regular #1 are still under the radar. 

Why did you skip over Albedo #3?  That back cover is great. 

2 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

Going through the Usagi sold listings, it's another reminder to me how arbitrary and weird comic collectors are. Even the 1st print of Usagi #1 is selling for 2x or more the price of Usagi Summer Special #1, which is the first solo issue of Usagi, predating the regular #1 by almost a full year. I think Summer Special is really overlooked at the moment, and I also think the other appearances between Albedo #4 and the regular #1 are still under the radar. 

Probably because the first issue of a character's ongoing series tends to be one of the more collectible things after their first appearances.

36 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Probably because the first issue of a character's ongoing series tends to be one of the more collectible things after their first appearances.

That's kind of my point. It's an arbitrary collector mentality that doesn't always make sense, the addiction to what number is on the cover.

Summer Special #1 is the same publisher as the later #1, same logo... it's really the first issue of the same series. But solely because the numbering restarts, its not as valuable. It happens all the time in comic collecting, but when you think about it, it's a little silly. 

26 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

Summer Special #1 is the same publisher as the later #1, same logo... it's really the first issue of the same series. But solely because the numbering restarts, its not as valuable. It happens all the time in comic collecting, but when you think about it, it's a little silly. 

You need to start the "speculation argument" that Summer Special #1 is a lot like Giant-Size X-Men #1 while the regular #1 is more like Wolverine #1. :grin:

47 minutes ago, valiantman said:

You need to start the "speculation argument" that Summer Special #1 is a lot like Giant-Size X-Men #1 while the regular #1 is more like Wolverine #1. :grin:

I'm trying to think of a good comp, but I'm struggling. The importance of Summer Special, beyond the story stuff inside, is that it's the first solo comic dedicated to Usagi. For me, that makes it more important than Usagi #1. 

I'll also point out that the first Usagi trade collection actually came out prior to Usagi #1 as well. First prints of the first Fantagraphics trade were released between Summer Special #1 and the regular #1, and reprint all the Usagi stories prior to the regular #1. 

When it comes to speculating, well, I guess we'll see what happens with the cartoon and how much they draw from any of the source material, especially in terms of characters. Albedo #3 may have the highest print run of the three original issues, but I believe it's also the first appearance of Tomoe.

And Critters #1 is still overlooked and undervalued, though I don't know the print run for that - besides being the 4th appearance of Usagi, a #1 issue, and featuring him on the cover, I believe it's also the first appearance of Gen. I don't know if some version of Gen will be in the new show, but the show description does mention a "roguish bounty hunter" which could apply, plus Gen has appeared in TMNT, including the cartoons, and has had a TMNT action figure. I got a VF Critters #1 last week on ebay for $18 including shipping, which seems pretty cheap to me right now.

Finally, Critters #10 is the first appearance of Usagi's son Jotaro, and Jotaro's mother Mariko. There are a couple other main characters whose first appearances could theoretically be important at some point in time, namely Jei, but for me these are the big ones. 

1204885185_s-l1600(1).jpg.2969dc226019bdcc7ab0e42f4811936a.jpgs-l1600.thumb.jpg.ea86e991326f827163aafcda04fffc22.jpg

3 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

100% correct. Run builders need #1 not appearances in between. Any of the 1968 Marvel #1s (or 102 or 100) are a perfect example. All are way more valuable than the appearances in TTTA and TOS. If you want a more applicable example that just came to me as I typed this...Iron Man 1 AND Sub-Mariner 1 > Iron Man & Sub-Mariner 1 which predates both. 

I guess it would be a little different in Usagi case as Summer Special is a solo book and not a random appearance. 

Edited by Hey Kids, Comics!

8 hours ago, valiantman said:
8 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

You need to start the "speculation argument" that Summer Special #1 is a lot like Giant-Size X-Men #1 while the regular #1 is more like Wolverine #1. 

Absolutely, and a superior issue by all accounts! :sumo:

It also reprints the first Usagi Yojimbo story published and done by Stan Sakai from Albedo #2 (November 1984) and the Usagi Yojimbo story from Albedo #3 - It's huge!!! Never mind the killer wraparound cover:

N0wXCn.jpg

rUppIF.jpg

Edited by divad

21 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

That's kind of my point. It's an arbitrary collector mentality that doesn't always make sense, the addiction to what number is on the cover.

Reminds me of Iron Man/Sub-Mariner 1...predates both individual #1's, is a number one, and yet is still underappreciated...