• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patsy Walker

9 posts in this topic

Who is she?

I recently purchased a nice copy of Amazing Adventures 15 for my collection of Xmen appearances and decided to reread the story for like the fifth time. This issue features the first appearance of the Griffin and an appearance by Patsy Walker and the X-men. I'm thinking to myself, who is this Patsy Walker that she warrants a CGC appearance designation on the slab? So I looked her up.

Turns out she is a character who had her own romance comic back in the Golden Age. Im sure you Golden Age collectors out there knew this, but this was news to me. Anyway, she married her Air Force boyfriend and ended up making an appearance in this issue of Amazing Adventures. The storyline between her and the Beast then continued in Avengers 141 where she threatened...OK, I wont spoil it for anyone who hasnt read it, but I will say that in a later issue of Avengers she ends up donning the costume of the former heroine, the Cat, thus becoming a new heroine altogether named Hellcat. She goes on to join the Defenders, divorce her husband, and marry the Son of Satan. Quite a leap from romance books to super heroine if you ask me...and she looks amazing for her age, but then again this is the world of comics where anything is possible. Her full story can be found here... http://marvel.wikia.com/Patricia_Walker_%28Earth-616%29

Til next time...

12780.jpg

See more journals by surfer99

What a stange and lurid character bio... she went from golden age Romance to Superheroine to Denizen of Hell!

Marvel seems to punish beautiful redheads!

Thanks for sharing!

HNY

SW3D

That was a great link, I had no idea! Speaking of redheads, I always thought that would be an interesting theme to collect, covers with pretty redheads. Have you ever seen the cover of Claire Voyant #1 from 1946? Good luck with the collection of Bronze X-Men appearances outside their own title and keep posting!

That was a great link, I had no idea! Speaking of redheads, I always thought that would be an interesting theme to collect, covers with pretty redheads. Have you ever seen the cover of Claire Voyant #1 from 1946? Good luck with the collection of Bronze X-Men appearances outside their own title and keep posting!

Thanks Brandon. Hadn't seen that Claire Voyant comic, pretty cool. http://www.comicvine.com/claire-voyant-claire-voyant/37-190512/

You're right, what's up with Marvel and the demise of pretty redheads? Maybe Stan Lee had his heart broke by one so he's taking out his aggressions through comics, lol.

First issue

TOP25009.jpg

Two very nice books, especially the one above. The black is very rich and the cover has an overall period cuteness to it. No credits to the cover art on the GCD site. Too bad.

I collect Patsy Walkers for their wonderful Al Hartley covers and interior art.

PH91FDec63.jpg

My thanks to the OP for introducing an interesting sidebar to the collecting of Marvel Comics and its earlier incarnations.

Great books, thanks for posting! I'm not a romance novel person, but I can definitely appreciate those cool covers from a much simpler time. Suddenly I want to grab a glass of Country Time Lemonade and goes relax on the front porch swing while waving politely at my neighbors driving by. Seriously, that sounds very relaxing.

sig.jpg