• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

60's art day!

7 posts in this topic

When you think of Steve Ditko, what comes to mind? Spider-man? Dr. Strange? How about The Incredible Hulk?

The Incredible Hulk? Really?

Yep! I’ve already spoken about the history of the Hulk in a prior note, but here is a quick refresher. The first five issues of The Incredible Hulk were penciled by Jack Kirby, with inks by Ayers, Reinman, and Ditko (yes, he inked Kirby at times). Issue #6 was penciled and inked by Steve Ditko. I’m sure that there was no direct correlation, but The Hulk was cancelled after that sixth issue, presumably due to a lack of sales. Rereading those issues is fascinating. The character went through more changes in six issues than most characters go through in six years. Initially set up like a horror book, the story evolved to more of a fugitive like storyline. The Hulk changed colors, and what triggered the transformation went from darkness to the use of a Gamma Ray machine. Still, Marvel stuck with the character and the concept and eventually figured out a way for him to interact with the rest of the Marvel universe. The Hulk resurfaced in Avengers #1, inadvertently helping to create the team. Then, I’m assuming there was some positive feedback, since the Hulk was given another chance at his own book, or at least a chance to share a book – Tales to Astonish. The Hulk appeared in Tales to Astonish #59, with art by Ayers (handling the pencils this time) with Reinman on inks, and the story evolved a little more; Bruce Banner started having the change triggered by anger, and the Gamma Ray machine was history.

With issue #60, the Hulk became a co-owner of the title. Steve Ditko continued on where he left off with issue #6, and penciled the Hulk stories in Tales to Astonish from issue #60 through #67. Right away, you can see the difference in the set up. As I mentioned above, in the first six issues of the Hulk, he was a feared and hunted monster. By the time he had joined Tales to Astonish, the focus was on making the character more sympathetic, and frankly, more “hip”. In fact, in his first issue as co-owner of the book, the lead in on the splash read “Can a man with green skin and a petulant personality find true happiness in today’s status-seeking society?” Does that sound like a horror book, or a comic book for that matter? Ditko was followed by Kirby, Kane, Powell, Esposito, Buscema, Romita, Marie Severin and a host of others, and the Hulk just continued to gain speed. By issue 102, the Hulk had kicked out Giant Man, and any other co-stars, and the book had changed its name from Tales to Astonish to The Incredible Hulk, and the run continued for many, many years.

But, to turn your attention to the reason for my rambling - take a look at the opening splash to the beginning of Tales to Astonish #60, by Steve Ditko and George Roussos (listed as George Bell); the first issue of The Incredible Hulk’s incredible run of continuous stories carrying through to today.

The link: http://cafurl.com?i=19424

Thanks for taking a look!

Ron Sonenthal

Very good write up, and a great page! Thanks for sharing!

One correction, though. Ditko penciled the Hulk stories in Astonish from issue #60 through #67. Kirby and Demeo/Esposito took over on TTA #68.