• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3 colored recreations by Mike Royer

16 posts in this topic

I asked Mike if I could share these and he agreed. These are 3 commissions he just finished (probably still in transit) for a client.

There was an additional piece, Orion (that lead to this commission), but it was shipped before either one of us thought of me taking a picture of it.

These recreations are on 22 x 34 bristol.

PixfoMike003_zps52fa1329.jpgPixfoMike002_zpsa7aecc53.jpgPixfoMike001_zpsc6472c8f.jpg

These are amazingly meticulous. If it were me, I'd have asked Mike to ink them in his own style, but I imagine the original pencils might not be available. His recreation of Heck's inks is crazy accurate. Over on WhatifKirby.com there's a controversy about Lightray: many think it was inked by Giacoia, despite Kirby's recollection that Heck did them all. I wonder if Mike has an opinion on that?

While Mike might have an opinion, weren't these done before Jack hired him?

Mike is a crazy good mimic.

I like that you can see some of MIke's western stuff behind them. Dear lord, the man loves his westerns... ;)

Thanks for sharing! If you talk to him soon, tell him I said "howdy"! These are great!

While Mike might have an opinion, weren't these done before Jack hired him? I believe so.

Mike is a crazy good mimic.

I like that you can see some of MIke's western stuff behind them. Dear lord, the man loves his westerns... ;)His home is literally covered with western movie posters and autograph's. His movie collection is mind boggling.

Thanks for sharing! If you talk to him soon, tell him I said "howdy"! These are great! Will do, Dave :hi:

These are amazingly meticulous. If it were me, I'd have asked Mike to ink them in his own style, but I imagine the original pencils might not be available. His recreation of Heck's inks is crazy accurate. Over on WhatifKirby.com there's a controversy about Lightray: many think it was inked by Giacoia, despite Kirby's recollection that Heck did them all. I wonder if Mike has an opinion on that?

I'll ask him what he knows about the originals :)

I agree with you about wanting these with his inking style, but I think the client wanted them to look as close to the OA as possible.

Mike had a bit of a hard time trying to interpret the true colors from the scans he was given. The yellows used for Mr. Miracle were too "garish", Mike felt, so he changed it a little. The blues on light ray looked almost gray toned so his blues are a bit brighter.

He hasn't colored artwork for many years, and he was pleased to learn he still has it.

I agree with you about wanting these with his inking style, but I think the client wanted them to look as close to the OA as possible.

Mike had a bit of a hard time trying to interpret the true colors from the scans he was given. The yellows used for Mr. Miracle were too "garish", Mike felt, so he changed it a little. The blues on light ray looked almost gray toned so his blues are a bit brighter.

He hasn't colored artwork for many years, and he was pleased to learn he still has it.

Kirby's color sense was totally weird. I like it, but weird. I thought Mike's versions looked slightly more rational than I remembered!

I asked Mike if he thought Heck inked all the characters and he immediately said no. He thinks Giacoia did Lightray, and a couple more. Ramses was definitely Heck.