• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Ten Key Spider-Man issues

81 posts in this topic

Pretty spot on list.

As far as "key" I think ASM 1 has most of its importance tied up in being the #1 issue of the title, less about content. In my list its below #14 where spidey's main ongoing arch enemy is introduced.

I'd also pick #39 over #50. Sure the #50 has the Kingpin, but he's a DDevil enemy, and it has the iconic cover & 1st splash page, but in #39 we get the reveal that his arch enemy is is best friends father, and we get the first appearance of Romita, plus the reveal that Osborn knows Spidey is Peter... way more important, and goes with your #119/#120 pick later.

Pretty spot on list.

As far as "key" I think ASM 1 has most of its importance tied up in being the #1 issue of the title, less about content. In my list its below #14 where spidey's main ongoing arch enemy is introduced.

I'd also pick #39 over #50. Sure the #50 has the Kingpin, but he's a DDevil enemy, and it has the iconic cover & 1st splash page, but in #39 we get the reveal that his arch enemy is is best friends father, and we get the first appearance of Romita, plus the reveal that Osborn knows Spidey is Peter... way more important, and goes with your #119/#120 pick later.

:o You know Kingpin was a Spidey villain before Daredevil right. :eyeroll:

We recently did an article on the Top 10 Key issues of Spider-man Spidey Article Here . I wanted to know what you thought of the article and which issues would you add and/or remove.

And #10 on your list is Spidey Annual #1 not #6 as you've got it listed.

We recently did an article on the Top 10 Key issues of Spider-man Spidey Article Here . I wanted to know what you thought of the article and which issues would you add and/or remove.

And #10 on your list is Spidey Annual #1 not #6 as you've got it listed.

Good catch thank you :headbang:

:gossip: The caption to the pic as well.

Pretty spot on list.

yes, his first appearance was in Spidey #50, but Kingpin is better known for his opposition to Daredevil (which came later) than his scuffles with Spidey. So while Kingpins first appearance is key to the Marvel Universe, I dont think its key to the Spidey universe.

Pretty spot on list.

yes, his first appearance was in Spidey #50, but Kingpin is better known for his opposition to Daredevil (which came later) than his scuffles with Spidey. So while Kingpins first appearance is key to the Marvel Universe, I dont think its key to the Spidey universe.

:o

AF 15, ASM 1, 3, 14, 31, 50, 121/122, 129, 298, 300.

I would get rid of the annual for 31, Gwen and Harry's 1st appearance is more important than a villain team up.

Then in order of villian importance I would rate Green Goblin> Dr Octopus> Venom>The Lizard> Electro.

So for me Todd McFarlane's art in 298 ranks above the appearance of these fourth and fifth teir villains.

Of course this is debatable and I wouldn't have much issue with swapping 6 or 9 for 298.

Of course this is debatable and I wouldn't have much issue with swapping 6 or 9 for 298.

If 39 doesn't make the list there's no way I support 298. I think 300 adequately encompasses the era, the moment, and what it signified.

Personally, one of my favorite issues has always been 15. Kraven just kept coming back, and has always been a great villain, and gave Spidey one of the greatest copper age storylines in Kraven's Last Hunt.

To me he's had more impact that either the Lizard or Electro, but I have a lot of love for ASM #9.

I do not have the time to rank them in order but I will list my top ten numerically.

To me, Spider-man represents doing the right thing at the right time for the right reason, no matter who is watching despite the threat of personal tragedy, sacrifice and loss. First appearances are nice, but I am left with one question when selecting books, "Does this define the character?" After that I am left with selecting the first appearances of characters that have plagued Spider-man or Peter over the years. I only had about half of the same issues on my list that was in the article

1 - Amazing Fantasy 15 - 1st Spider-man / Peter Parker

2 - Amazing Spider-man 14 - 1st Green Goblin

3 - Amazing Spider-man 31 - 1st Gwen Stacy

4 - Amazing Spider-man 39 - Green Goblin discovers Spider-man's identity

5 - Amazing Spider-man 43 - 1st Mary Jane

6 - Amazing Spider-man 121 - Death of Gwen

7 - Amazing Spider-man 200 - Death of the robber that killed Uncle Ben

8 - Amazing Spider-man Annual 21 - Wedding of Peter and MJ

9 - Amazing Spider-man 300 - 1st Venom

10 - Amazing Spider-man 545 - Dissolution of the Peter / MJ Marriage.

ASM 545 is a stupid issue but I understand what they attempted to do albeit my belief that they did it poorly.

If 39 doesn't make the list there's no way I support 298. I think 300 adequately encompasses the era, the moment, and what it signified.

Personally, one of my favorite issues has always been 15. Kraven just kept coming back, and has always been a great villain, and gave Spidey one of the greatest copper age storylines in Kraven's Last Hunt.

To me he's had more impact that either the Lizard or Electro, but I have a lot of love for ASM #9.

Yes on Kraven,but what about Mysterio?

Yes on Kraven,but what about Mysterio?

Love the issue, but Mysterio has always been hamstrung by the voice they gave him during the 1966 series. Made him sound like a fishbowl for a hat wearin' person_without_enough_empathy.

This isn't the real voice over, but it gets the point across.

Ok, the list is great. After much debate, this is my list for greatest moments related to SPIDEY's history (ASM title only) - Events/people that impacted his crime fighting and personal life. There are some great villains that are not on this list (if you went by villains alone the list would miss a lot) but I tried to make a list that also had a profound effect on Spideys/Peter's personal life too. I am sure I will change it as soon as I hit 'submit'...

1. AF#15 - duh

2. ASM #14 - 1st Green Goblin

3. ASM #1 - 1st J.Jonah Jameson, sets up the whole Daily Bugle thing and a host of villains as a result of JJJ's hate for Spidey (Scorpion, Spider Slayers)

4. ASM #3 - 1st Doc Ock, 1st to 'beat' Spidey, leader of Sinister Six, current events...

4. ASM #39 Green Goblin I.D. revealed, GG reveals he knows Spidey is Peter - Q: Was this one of the first times a villain discovered a hero's secret identity in comics?

5. ASM #121 and #122 - Death of Gwen Stacy, "Death" of Green Goblin

6. ASM #42 - 1st Full Mary Jane (even the devil can't completely get rid of her!)

7. ASM# 300 - 1st Venom - No one has terrorized Spidey like Venom did, except GG, but I don't think Spidey was actually 'afraid' of GG like he was of Venom at first.

8. ASM #50 - 1st Kingpin while he primarily became a DD villain, Spidey has had more than his share of headaches with b/c of the Kingpin of Crime

9. ASM #194 - 1st Black Cat, long time supporting character, love interest and partner always bad luck for our hero

10. ASM #149 - Launch of original clone saga, included the Jackal, eventually the mess that was the 2nd clone saga, but we got Ben Reilly (the REAL Scarlet Spider) and now have another clone in the role of Scarlet Spider (Kane)

Honourable Mentions - ASM Annual #5 - Peter finds out at last about his parents

ASM Annual #21 - Peter and MJ's wedding (YES, it actually happened)

ASM #90 - Death of George Stacy

ACK - I forgot about ASM #31....My bad...That needs to be crammed in the list and would bump something off the list...

Pretty spot on list.

Kingpin is huge in Spider-man lore though. DD never fought him until the Miller issues, yet Kingpin was intricately tied into most issues of Spider-man in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and then again in the 160s, long before DD ever thought of him.

#39 is a key to be sure and a great cover, but #40 is a more important book, as it has the origin of the Goblin. My list would go like this..

AF #15

AS #1

AS #14 1st Goblin, 1st meeting/battle with the Hulk

AS #31 1st Gwen Stacy/Harry Osborne/Prof Warren

AS #42 1st "appearance" of Mary Jane Watson

AS #3 1st Doc Ock

AS #121 - Death of Gwen

AS #122 - Death of Norman Osborn

AS #50 1st Kingpin

AS #129 1st Punisher

AS #300 1st Venom

AS #238 1st Hobgoblin (dominated a 50 issue run)

AS #40 Origin of the Goblin

AS #39 Spider-man/Goblin learn each other's ids, 1st Romita

AS #6 1st Lizard

AS #252 1st Black Costume (Venom)

AS #4 1st Sandman

AS #15 1st Kraven

AS #13 1st Mysterio

AS #2 1st Vulture

AS #100 Spider-man gains 4 extra arms

AS #101 1st Morbius

AS #20 1st Scorpion

AS #149 1st Spider-clone