• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show off your 1st OA you ever bought
1 1

109 posts in this topic

Bought this in 1996 for $50 - it's from What If #84, nice X-Men team shot by Mark Pacella, include Jean Grey in her 90's uniform. :cloud9: Sorry it's blurry, I have it matted and shrink-wrapped, didn't have a flat pic of it.

What%20If%2084%20April%201996%20Page.jpg

Just started last year and I am hooked. Pretty exciting when you can grab a piece that you never dreamed would be available. This was my first purchase and I'm finding that I prefer pencil's over fully inked pieces as it really shows off the artist's talent.

stormbreaker5_cvr-1.jpg

This is certainly one of the first pages I bought and one of the only early pages I have still kept.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=573071

I sold the spidey 300 page I bought with this page for a fraction of its value on ebay I guess it was just a few years before the boom on OA. Glad I kept this but the 300 page is probably worth more.

James G

Pretty sure I showed this off in another thread about this topic, but I'll participate here also. My first original art purchase was a Spider Man con sketch by John Romita Jr at the Oakland comic con in 1999. That was a gift for the best man at my wedding that year. I neglected to get anything for myself from either Romita Jr or Romita Sr who were both at the con that year. My fiance got an original sketch of Betty and Veronica, from Archie Comics, from Dan DeCarlo who was there with his wife Josie.

For some reason I never really put it together that I could buy original comic book art pages so my first comic art page purchase would be a lengthy 10 years later in 2009 when I ran across the page on ebay while looking for animation cels. It was a page from one of my favorite comic series, Justice League of America, and it was from the first annual issue that was put out in 1983. Pencils by Rick Hoberg and inks by Giordano. Maybe not as exciting as a Sandman, Preacher, or Kirby page, but still pretty special to me.

Justice%20League%20Annual%201%20pg%2025%20Rick%20Hoberg.jpg

Deja vu as I just contributed to the same topic on another board :) My first experience in realising that it was possible to purchase originals by my fave comics artists occurred when I went into a Sydney comic shop called "The Land Beyond Beyond" in 1988 and sighted 2 framed pages on the wall for sale!

One was a Marshall Rogers Daughters of the Dragon splash page from Deadly Hands of Kung-Fu which I agonised over before finally making the purchase - after all it was $150.00 back in 1988!

Here's the page which is still in my collection many years later:

rogers1.jpg

I just picked this up in a trade and was going to try and sell it..... but it's really growing on me and I'm a lifelong Sherlock Holmes fan............ " and that which remains, however improbable.... " I think I may have landed my first page. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

101_1228.jpg

What a neat thread!  I almost started one like this, but found it while having fun going back and reading all the early threads...

My first - from my first SDCC in 1983.  I think I spent $25 on it - literally my first ever exposure to OA and I recognized the cover having bought the comic (then) recently.  

My dad had it framed for me that year for Christmas.  Unfortunately, they literally glued the art down to the orange board instead of matting it - and I didn't care, this stuff was basically worthless at the time, and I was a kid (I was maybe 11 or 12?)! 

So, one of these days, resto time!

Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 2.50.21 PM.png

Edit: the art was water damaged before I bought it, not a product of the way it was framed.

Edited by Flambit
see above

My first purchase was two Gene Colan Howard the Duck pages in early 2009 from Heritage. Average cost of the pages was $330. They're both from HTD #9 where Howard goes to Canada. Since then I've been trying to track down the rest of the pages from that issue, and I'm about half way home.

This page is interesting because it's the only HTD page that I'm aware of that's signed by all three creators: Gerber, Colan and Leialoha.

IMG_1349.PNG

Edited by drewincanada
I can't spell.