• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP: CARMINE INFANTINO

16 posts in this topic

475033_3358453773320_87650537_o_zpsedd70a6b.jpg

Just read on FB from friends J David Spurlock and Arlen Schumer that our mutal buddy Carmine Infantino has passed on today. I was so glad to hang out with him once again for a spell at Michael Carbonaro's Comic Fest in New York City a year ago last March. I especially thank Carbo for calling me, inviting me to participate in his relaunch of his NYC shows, looking forward to the next one, made a bit less cheerier knowing Carmine is no longer with us. May he RIP for eternity....

Carmine Infantino and Robert Beerbohm NYC March 31 2012

Wow that's sad all the greats are leaving us alone,Carmine was one of my favs along with Murphy Anderson i had just seen him not to long ago.Rip Carmine you were one of the best of the Silverage!

[font:Times New Roman]Some of my fondest childhood memories involve searching the spinner racks for the latest copy of Mystery in Space featuring Adam Strange back in the early 1960's.

Alas, another early participant in the GA of both DC & Marvel universes moves on to the next great adventure. Farewell, old friend.[/font] ..... smiley-sad049.gif

Comes in a solid third, behind only Kirby and Ditko, as my favorite SA artist.

His work on Mystery in Space makes it one of my fave titles to this day.

It's a sad day for those that love comics :sorry:

About 15 years ago my late friend Julius Schwartz who helped me connect with a lot of SF fandom old timers, virtually all of whom are now gone, for purposes of tracking down origin concepts of the creation of Superman, portions of which went in to my article Gary Carter titled The Big Bang Theory of Comic Book History inside Comic Book Marketplace #50, introduced me up close and personal to Carmine in his NYC apartment. Julie vouched for me.

I taped interviews with Carmine for some seven hours. I walked him back thru that last full week of his DC employment hour by hour day by day from when he had spent the week end with Mario Puzo basicly writing the first Superman movie which had Marlon Brando as Jor-El.

He wrote so much of the Superman movie, some thing Puzo received seven figures for, I have been convinced for some time, based on my understanding of Hollywood movie writer trips, Warners would have had to pay Carmine equal to Mario - and was fired because Warner's did not feel like paying out millions more to him.

I think most all else which has been written about Carmine leaving DC to be so much window dressing. These day long interview tapes have never been transcribed and/or broadast.

In addition, we went thru his career, his days as editorial director, his tenure as DC Publisher, garnering his old friend Jack Kirby when JK finally cut loose from Marvel, other aspects of his world and time in comics.

As I continue my recovery and healing processes, as I continue to sort out my "life" in this 4000 square foot warehouse, as I re-gather my files on my comics business history book Comic Book Store Wars centering mainly on the 60s 70s 80s on the evolution and rise of the comic book store trip coupled with the myriad origins of the Direct Market, I recently came across these tapes again and now have them in a semi-secure area of my warehouse.

Heck, I have some 18 hours of interviews with Irwin Donenfeld conducted over three years back in 1997-2000 among others. Might be time to do some thing with these interviews i conducted many moons ago now. YouTube for its visual aid concepts? Trying to free up time so as I can devote more of same back in to "research." Carmine's passing has me full of reflecting since i learned yesterday.

3526176834_1c97f8fbf8_z.jpg

My earliest memories of Carmine's work were of the Showcase Flash story.

I had all of the series at one time. I think Anderson did a lot on the Adam Strange covers but I still enjoyed those Infantino illustrated stories.

MysteryInSpace077VG_zps91b69b7f.jpg

My earliest conscious memory of tuning in to Carmine's comic book work was this issue Mystery In Space #77 cover dated Aug 1962 which came out around my 10th birthday in June.

I had been reading at Flash prior to this MIS ish, but for some reason the angle positioning of the giant ray gun captured my imagination and I then added Adam Strange in to my quests for back issues to read and enjoy.

MysteryInSpace077VG_zps91b69b7f.jpg

My earliest conscious memory of tuning in to Carmine's comic book work was this issue Mystery In Space #77 cover dated Aug 1962 which came out around my 10th birthday in June.

I had been reading at Flash prior to this MIS ish, but for some reason the angle positioning of the giant ray gun captured my imagination and I then added Adam Strange in to my quests for back issues to read and enjoy.

I still have most of the Mystery in Space issues that I purchased back when I was in high school. Infantino and Anderson were a great combination.

5985282678_db077d9b48_b.jpg