• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four reboot is already screwed up...

1,093 posts in this topic

we'll be having a black Batman next...(being white is integral to the character)

Being a billionaire is integral to that character.

and white...

Batman's father was a surgeon that age wise would have been a profession that would have had 0% black people

tell me i'm wrong

That assumes there's something about the 1940s that is inevitably tied to what makes Batman Batman. There isn't. Burton's Batman and Nolan's Batman were not set in that era, they were set in the era that the movies were released. It's difficult to think of any superhero whose identity is tied to the era they were created in, but I'm sure there are some. You could say this applies to the Black Panther, but Stan didn't name them after the political group--that group hadn't gained national recognition when Stan introduced T'Challa. As far as I've been able to tell, it was coincidence that the group later took on the same name as his character.

we'll be having a black Batman next...(being white is integral to the character)

and white...

Batman's father was a surgeon that age wise would have been a profession that would have had 0% black people

tell me i'm wrong

His dad being a surgeon was integral to the character?

eventually yes, Tommy Elliot's mother was saved by Thomas Wayne which lead to him despising Bruce and eventually Batman to become Hush, a book which ressurrected Jason Todd who became Red Hood. Now sure you could have a film were none of this happens but as a comic character its pretty integral. And he was rich...it's not racist to say that black people in America in the 40's were not billionaires

Alicia was played by an African-American and no one said a thing (I think). No one complained that she wasn't really blind either.

I'm still surprised that Lt. Dan had legs in real life. (He wasn't that famous prior to the Forrest Gump movie...)

If Johnny and his sister are both African-American, it shouldn't be a problem in my mind.

If they meet up with the InHumans, that'd be a multi-racial cast as well.

Serious question. Would it have been ridiculous if Tom Cruise had been cast as Bruce Lee in Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story? Of course it would, because Bruce was Chinese.

And no, it doesn't matter that one is based on fact ( Dragon was about as factual as a Saturday morning cartoon ).

Bruce Lee was born in San Francisco, California and his parents were from Hong Kong, so he's Cantonese. He speaks Cantonese and not Mandarin.

Jason Scott Lee (no relation) who played him in the movie Dragon is of Chinese-Hawaiian descent which is close enough I guess. He was born in LA.

Now, David Carradine is another matter...

Dragon is one of my favorite all-time movies.

As far as a black human torch. Actually he sounds like the perfect character to change. I'm all for it as long as they can do it right for once.

Speaking of "minority" characters. There really are not that many at all.

Black Panther, Luke Cage, Cloak, the falcon are about all I can think of, and they are all black. I can't even think of any other ethnicities besides white.

If you're a comicbook fan on these boards I'm not surprised ;) If one is a fan of Bruce Lee the person, I don't see how they can like Dragon. For a person who led a VERY interesting life, H'Wood certainly took quite a few liberties in the telling of his story.

I don't know what you mean about the quip of me being a comic book fan and liking the dragon movie. I like the movie because it has a great soundtrack, solid acting, killer fight scenes, I like Jason Scott Lee and I knew the director.

Sure, they took a few liberties in making the film, all for the sake of drama, but it is based on Bruce's wife's biography on him. You show me a biography film that is 100 percent true to the facts and timeline, and I'll show you a 7-hour long lifetime special.

A few liberties? That's like saying the Grand Canyon is a ditch.

I suppose you knew Bruce better than Linda... anywho. I liked the flick, you didn't. Whoopdy doo. Let's agree to disagee.

That's a joke right? Did you ever read the book the movie is "based" on? I have and the movie was NOTHING like the book...at all.

Really? I only recently started watching Mad Men and I like her a lot, and Emma Frost was great. Having said that, I may be liking mainly her looks and certain cute gestures which I suspect I will grow quite tired of by the time I've watched the whole series!

I couldn't tell any difference between Betty Draper and Emma Frost--they're both cold and distant. I'm used to Emma also being haughty and superior, but I detected none of that from her in the film. Might not be her fault and just the way the character was (or wasn't) written. Jury's still out as to whether or not she's a character actor.

Really? I only recently started watching Mad Men and I like her a lot, and Emma Frost was great. Having said that, I may be liking mainly her looks and certain cute gestures which I suspect I will grow quite tired of by the time I've watched the whole series!

I couldn't tell any difference between Betty Draper and Emma Frost--they're both cold and distant. I'm used to Emma also being haughty and superior, but I detected none of that from her in the film. Might not be her fault and just the way the character was (or wasn't) written. Jury's still out as to whether or not she's a character actor.

Gotta love the bondage scene with Magneto though. That was hot.

Guest Grails
After thinking about this further, I do recall one instance in a movie where a character's race/ethnicity was changed successfully from the original source material. The actor said he would take the role as long as none of the character's dialogue was changed. This resulted in a humorous scene where he was asked "Why do they call you 'Red'?" and he responded "Maybe because I'm Irish."

Of course this was Morgan Freeman in the Shawshank Redemption.

However, this casting decision added a new element to the story and was not an arbitrary change. If change is made for a good creative decision rather than to pander to a demographic, then it's worth consideration. In other words, if you're going to change something, have a good reason for doing it. We don't know yet which category applies with Johnny Storm.

Different Seasons is one of my favorite reads and Freeman successfully made the character his own. I can't read that story without his voice narrating in my head now.

She wasn't great as Emma Frost that's for sure.

Having said that, I may be liking mainly her looks and certain cute gestures which I suspect I will grow quite tired of by the time I've watched the whole series!

You will. She is quite useless in that show. But, definitely worth watching! (although this season is a bit slow so far)

Gotta love the bondage scene with Magneto though. That was hot.

It was, but I credit the writer, director, and January's body for that. She's definitely a hottie. :cloud9:

and white...

tell me i'm wrong

Well? Through history, I guess you are proven wrong. Right?

got it, people wont accept something that doesnt look like their 50+ years of continuity...

wait did someone say something?

I'm not saying people won't accept it, but to take 50 years of continuity and throw it out to cast someone completely different in attitude and appearance is a pretty idiotic business decision. Black Nick Fury does absolutely nothing for the character of Nick Fury. Marvel created market confusion for absolutely no reason - because people could care less what color he is, yet they have now split the persona into two different entities.

Market confusion? Are you sure?

Positive. Granted, people are able to figure out who's who - that's not the issue. What the issue is is that there is no need for a company to convolute it's own trademarks - it goes against the who purpose of protecting your property.

If I created a character called "Nick Fury" I would get a cease-and-desist letter from Marvel. Yet, they have split their own "Nick Fury" into two very different characters - they have gone against the principals of protecting their licensed characters for the sole purpose of generating buzz. Yes, they have the right to do what they want, but it doesn't make sense to do something that causes more work and doesn't create additional revenue in the long run.

And in the long term - that buzz did nothing but create two separate fronts that they have to maintain concerning the one character. Two fronts = two different editorial criteria, two different standards of illustration, etc, etc. I'm sure they can explain away the logic and how incredibly successful black Nick Fury is - but in it's base principal, creating market confusion by splitting your brand in two separate entites with the same name/purpose is not the way to handle a licensed property.

Anybody being confused because there are two different people with the same name will have palpitations when reading the phone book.

Absolutely right. That's why I said it wasn't about people not being able to tell who is who. In the second sentence.

It's difficult to think of any superhero whose identity is tied to the era they were created in, but I'm sure there are some.

Rocketeer maybe?

Captain America is the one that comes to mind the most to me.

Having said that, I may be liking mainly her looks and certain cute gestures which I suspect I will grow quite tired of by the time I've watched the whole series!

You will. She is quite useless in that show. But, definitely worth watching! (although this season is a bit slow so far)

I don't blame January Jones for this, but I have no idea why she's even been in the series since Don Draper remarried. She's barely in the show, and when she is, she's written to serve zero purpose to the story, yet they keep showing her.

It's difficult to think of any superhero whose identity is tied to the era they were created in, but I'm sure there are some.

Rocketeer maybe?

Captain America is the one that comes to mind the most to me.

Agreed