• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Displaying comics - UV protection

22 posts in this topic

So, I'm sure that this was discussed here a multitude of times. I did a search and found a bunch of topics that didn't directly relate to what I'm looking for. I have a few comics that I would love to display. Due to both the emotional and financial value I've been reluctant to do so because I don't want them to fade.

I would never hang them in direct sun, but is there anything else that you do to keep the colors crisp when showing them off (these would be slabs)?

Opinions vary.

From never display your slabs. Keep them in a dark dry place.

To just keep them out of direct sunlight.

A happy middle ground if you are worried is to use a frame with UV glass. And/or rotate which slabs you are displaying at any one time.

Get a high res scan of the slab you want to display and print that out. Display the print out and store the slab. Best of both worlds

Thanks for the suggestions.

This is a pretty brilliant solution. I have a large format printer sitting right here that I never use. It's not quite as sexie as a slab, but if done right I bet it would be hard to tell from a distance.

Get a high res scan of the slab you want to display and print that out. Display the print out and store the slab. Best of both worlds

This is a pretty brilliant solution. I have a large format printer sitting right here that I never use. It's not quite as sexie as a slab, but if done right I bet it would be hard to tell from a distance.

Get some cracked out slab cases and create a printed-out wrap of your prized comic, tape it to a drek book, put it in the slab with a photocopied CGC label and there is your prop book, while the other one sits in storage.

Get some cracked out slab cases and create a printed-out wrap of your prized comic, tape it to a drek book, put it in the slab with a photocopied CGC label and there is your prop book, while the other one sits in storage.

hm

Repeat this process with high-grade key comics you don't own and post the pictures of your setup in the "Got a comic room?" thread. Be the envy of others. :jokealert:

Actually, I did blowups of some of my favorite covers from my collection, to 12"x18" and I like the results.

I have a couple of old photographic prints which I put behind UV-resistant acrylic instead of glass. I still keep them away from any direct light. I would treat comics the same way, whether slabbed or displayed raw.

^^

I have a couple of mine hung on the wall, but in places where sunlight never gets to, and even the lamps in the room don't produce much light, and I change them out about every other month.

they are great conversation starters.

I use LED lightbulbs (Philips Hue). They do not emit any UV but can be changed to emulate any color in the rainbow. Thus I can emulate sunlight but not worry about damaging my books.

Oh no not another light thread :ohnoez:

Paper has a life of 300 years under the right conditions. UV, heat, and humidity are the killer.

Keep them out of direct sunlight. Most of your UV problems are resolved right there. Fluorescent bulbs emit UV, but there is something called the Inverse Square law that applies to little things like light and gravity. For every doubling of distance, the amount of energy (pull) is ¼. A row of 25w fluorescent bulb will not harm your books unless your wrap your bulb with it and then check on them in a few years. I personally have LEDs. They came out with these omnidirectional ones that work pretty well. I don’t like that they are not 5500 degrees and look off; not a true daylight color.

Heat will harm your books. If they are behind UV glass (99.9%) the heat from direct sunlight will cause a breakdown of the paper and inks. Behind glass, it actually has a greenhouse effect and it can get near 180 degrees.

Humidity will harm your books. It could allow molds and fungi to grow. It can also cause problems with your staples. Fire retardants used in some safes will chemically react to exposed metals too. This is why guns are blued or stainless. Metals love to react with everything out there. Damn those electrons. If they are not blued or stainless, they need to be oiled before storing. Note: Don’t oil your staples. :screwy:

Display them!!!! You’ll be dead a long time. Better to see them than have them locked away in a safe for your kids to divide them up and buy senseless things when you’re worm meal.

Display them!!!! You’ll be dead a long time. Better to see them than have them locked away in a safe for your kids to divide them up and buy senseless things when you’re worm meal.

:roflmao: worm meal

I know it's silly, and thanks for the advice. Here's where I'm coming from: I go into midtown comics and see this one x-men 94 that been on display for as long as I can remember. It's really faded.

I'm not nearly new to comics but I am relatively new to owning books in the 1k+ category. I recently got my hands on something that I've been wanting my whole life and want to display it.

Honestly, I imagine that the slabs do a pretty good job of cutting the light damage just by way of diffusion, etc. and I'm sure that they will be fine. I just don't want to turn it into that x-men 94 in midtown.

Like I said, I know this has been covered before, but I couldn't find the thread. Blame senility or my age limiting my ability to use standard forum search-ability. Your information is great though and I do very much appreciate it!

Paper has a life of 300 years under the right conditions. UV, heat, and humidity are the killer.

Keep them out of direct sunlight. Most of your UV problems are resolved right there. Fluorescent bulbs emit UV, but there is something called the Inverse Square law that applies to little things like light and gravity. For every doubling of distance, the amount of energy (pull) is ¼. A row of 25w fluorescent bulb will not harm your books unless your wrap your bulb with it and then check on them in a few years. I personally have LEDs. They came out with these omnidirectional ones that work pretty well. I don’t like that they are not 5500 degrees and look off; not a true daylight color.

Heat will harm your books. If they are behind UV glass (99.9%) the heat from direct sunlight will cause a breakdown of the paper and inks. Behind glass, it actually has a greenhouse effect and it can get near 180 degrees.

Humidity will harm your books. It could allow molds and fungi to grow. It can also cause problems with your staples. Fire retardants used in some safes will chemically react to exposed metals too. This is why guns are blued or stainless. Metals love to react with everything out there. Damn those electrons. If they are not blued or stainless, they need to be oiled before storing. Note: Don’t oil your staples. :screwy:

deGNM0T.gif

Great post. I display... I just do so in a room that has a huge double glass door to the outside - I keep the curtain drawn. The glass doesn't get direct sunlight so the room is very dark when the light is off. It's nice to be able to open the curtain for natural light now and then.

But it's all about enjoying them.

That said, if the idea of even the tiniest bit of fading wakes you in a cold sweat in the middle of the night - you might enjoy it more with them in a dark closet.

I know it's silly

Blame senility or my age limiting my ability to use standard forum search-ability. Your information is great though and I do very much appreciate it!

It's not at all silly. It's an incredibly common query,

and, you're not at all incapable - the forum search is _renowned_ for being a piece of cutlery.

I display as well. Mine are in my stairwell going upstairs and get no sunlight. I switch out which slabs I have on display and have noticed no fading in the three years I have been displaying them. Your results may vary.

Not really a solution, but I have 9 comics always on display. I put them in a corner that doesn't get any light. My main "solution" is to have low grade copies on display, and keep my nicer ones hidden. I.e. my favorite displays are a 3rd print of TMNT #1, and a 2.0 Iron Man 1. They still look great displayed (in my opinion) and I'm not losing enough value from fading to worry.

I just thought of something. I wonder if I could get these 1/8th inch thick UV plexiglass sheets they use for museum conservation and mount them to the front of my Sam's Frames. I would need to pick up a drill press, measure twice, cut once.

You can absolutely do that, we use .118 thick (1/8" respectively) 98% Museum Grade OP-3 Acrylic in our UV safe frames. If you would like I can help you out with the pieces you need, we stock full sheets of the material and cut it ourselves. This would keep you from having to pay A LOT for full sheets and cutting them up.

-not at all trying to spam just offering our services to help a fellow comic book display advocate protect their collection!

It's even better than displaying an actual comic because you can't see a comic from across the room since they're so small; you have to walk within a few feet to even see the details. A print can be blown up though, so not only does it avoid sunlight on your comics, it presents better as well.

For people who prefer the real deal up on the wall, look at what museums do and either do that or compromise on some of their display techniques. Museums avoid both direct sunlight and ambient sunlight on paper and art, and they try to use a particular type of artificial light--I think low-wattage incandescent light is what they usually use. Memory is telling me fluorescent lights are the worst, but I haven't thought about this in a few years, so I'd check on that.