• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Statue Collections
23 23

5,036 posts in this topic

I actually think SS is right in that regard.

Look at XM and the coin.

If the incentive absolutely demolishes the regular, than nobody would buy the regular onces the EX is sold out. It would really diminish the desireability of the Reg. It would only be good for the early bird.

This way, they make them fairly similar, but with a minor incentive for us pre-order folks. But for the most part, they aren't *absolutely essential*.

This allows everyone to feel like they got a great looking statue, instead of just the first 500 or 1,000 people and then the REG sits in the warehouse for an eternity.

I'm glad SS doesn't make the EX MUST haves.

Luckily they stopped with the coins and just have the low ES.

Edited by AnthaiHERO

Any of you collect the Hot Toys movie figures? I was big into Bowen Statues back in the day, recently got into these statue/figures and I'm in love. I've got a growing collection of Cap and Ironman. lol

I started collecting about 2 months ago and have 13 Hot Toys now. Still waiting for my 1st sideshow pice to come in, DR Doom

Anyone want to share their overall thoughts on XM vs Sideshow? I see that XM has a Star Wars license, and I'm curious to know which you think will be better. Granted, we have no idea what XM will produce, but still...

My knowledge of statues so far is pretty much limited to SS so far, which is one reason why I'm interested in your thoughts.

Do any Statue Collectors think there'll be a 'disruptor' at some point? Some company who offers 3D printed statues? No shipping, just a file sent to be desktop printed or printed out locally?

I really enjoy looking at ZBrush Central and all the amazing digital sculpts. So 3D printing seems the next logical step, a way to speed things along from sculptor to customer's display. Maybe local 'finishers' in between. Thoughts?

batman2s.jpg

Anyone want to share their overall thoughts on XM vs Sideshow? I see that XM has a Star Wars license, and I'm curious to know which you think will be better. Granted, we have no idea what XM will produce, but still...

My knowledge of statues so far is pretty much limited to SS so far, which is one reason why I'm interested in your thoughts.

XM imo has had consistently great quality, QC, packaging, and collectibility with it's ES never exceeding 999. However, it'll cost you both in shipping and secondary market in the likelihood you can't secure one. My gripe is they don't sell to the US and some of their skin/flesh tones and actor renditions are not that impressive. I've recently started with XM and only have the wolverine and will soon preorder the Daredevil and Classic Ironman. I regret not jumping on Magneto and Thanos.

With SS they're so up and down its hard to tell. They're slaying it with their DC line (just look at Lobo), which I'm not really interested in. They struggle with their Marvel line at times and fail when it comes to science fiction movie related stuff. It all depends on what you collect. If you want movie props/replicas, or just licensed movie stuff look at Chronicle. SS has such a high ES as of late so resale is almost out the door. Regardless I still have faith in SS. Currently have the ASM pf, Boba Fett pf, and Predator LSB on preorder.

In the end just buy the stuff you want. Both have their pros and cons and both have great customer service regarding returns and exchanges.

Edited by AnthaiHERO

Do any Statue Collectors think there'll be a 'disruptor' at some point? Some company who offers 3D printed statues? No shipping, just a file sent to be desktop printed or printed out locally?

I really enjoy looking at ZBrush Central and all the amazing digital sculpts. So 3D printing seems the next logical step, a way to speed things along from sculptor to customer's display. Maybe local 'finishers' in between. Thoughts?

batman2s.jpg

A lot of artist taking private commissions do this and have resulted in some great customs i.e. Sosa's Spiderman and the Resinworks Wolverine.

batman2s.jpg

i remember when zbrush came out when i was takening computer animetion classes it was new and different that schools didn't even teach it yet. the market is their for statues companys to come in and wow people if the design look awesome.

Preordered with the intentions of having a custom headsculpt. Not a fan of either sculpt.

3001161-product-silo_zps5orriizn.png

I like the head sculpt in and of itself, but judging by the pics SST put up, it doesn't really seem to fit the body. Not sure what is off about it. Too big? Something, I dunno. But it's weird.

Still, altogether it looks like a really nice piece. I will probably hold off on ordering because I don't care about the exclusive, and with it being a character like Wolvie, the edition size will probably be through the roof.

batman2s.jpg

I'd guess they wouldn't be much different than garage kits are now; interesting to people with the creativity and skill to assemble/paint/tailor, but a different market than the licensed, fully manufactured stuff. Even out of the printer, I think sanding/detailing is required, not to mention paint.

I think XM is too new to make comparisons. They're off to a good start, but we'll see how they handle their business as they expand. But people are excited, as they're the new kid on the block, and it's fashionable to bash Sideshow these days.

Preordered with the intentions of having a custom headsculpt. Not a fan of either sculpt.

I like the head sculpt in and of itself, but judging by the pics SST put up, it doesn't really seem to fit the body. Not sure what is off about it. Too big? Something, I dunno. But it's weird.

Still, altogether it looks like a really nice piece. I will probably hold off on ordering because I don't care about the exclusive, and with it being a character like Wolvie, the edition size will probably be through the roof.

I like it, and will probably order it, but not until after SDCC where we'll get a better look at it, not to mention, at whatever else SS has in store for next year. I tend to halt all pre-ordering/buying until SDCC is finished.

I like it, and will probably order it, but not until after SDCC where we'll get a better look at it, not to mention, at whatever else SS has in store for next year. I tend to halt all pre-ordering/buying until SDCC is finished.

love it, ordered it

When do you think is the best time to buy a statue?

I'm interested in some of the upcoming Star Wars PF statues from Sideshow, however, when paying that much for a collectible, I want to ensure I get a good one. Is it best to pre-order to get the special, limited item? Or wait until they go on sale to read reviews and make sure the production matches the prototype?

They need to make a PF Rancor.

batman2s.jpg

I'd guess they wouldn't be much different than garage kits are now; interesting to people with the creativity and skill to assemble/paint/tailor, but a different market than the licensed, fully manufactured stuff. Even out of the printer, I think sanding/detailing is required, not to mention paint.

I guess what I meant by 'disruptor' is a company offering both. Authorized local finishers, for those that want shelf-ready statues. And bare bones kits for the artistic types.

Just wondering if the ability to send a file will soon offset labor/shipping costs. Digital sculpts and the massive dollar amounts involved leave plenty of room for 'doing it better, cheaper' entrepreneurs to begin eyeballing the market. The barrier to entry being exclusive licensing deals used to keep competition out of it.

Question: Could a 'rock star' comic book artist of today skip the middleman entirely, commission a digital sculpt and set up an 'official studio' of finishers? Design, authorize and sell direct?

batman2s.jpg

I guess what I meant by 'disruptor' is a company offering both. Authorized local finishers, for those that want shelf-ready statues. And bare bones kits for the artistic types.

Just wondering if the ability to send a file will soon offset labor/shipping costs. Digital sculpts and the massive dollar amounts involved leave plenty of room for 'doing it better, cheaper' entrepreneurs to begin eyeballing the market. The barrier to entry being exclusive licensing deals used to keep competition out of it.

Question: Could a 'rock star' comic book artist of today skip the middleman entirely, commission a digital sculpt and set up an 'official studio' of finishers? Design, authorize and sell direct?

I'm not sure if sending a file would offset labor costs all that much, as painting/tailoring is still the lion's share of the work when it comes to manufacturing statues. To distribute and be profitable, a license is still needed, and to justify the cost of the license you'd have to work in quantities requiring skilled factory labor, so it's back to square one.

What digital printing may do is undercut licensed manufacturers by making it easier for independent collectors/artists to make more unlicensed customs.