• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,913 posts in this topic

Hello everyone 👋. I'm a collector of several different collectibles. My first serious collection was comics and sportscards then toys, coins, local history, antique bottles(milk,historical flasks, bitters,figurals),signage,a few marbles, a few arrowheads and I'm sure I'm leaving one or two others out. Anyways I've come full circle and have begun going through my old comics and have begun buying again for the first time since about 93 I'm new to comic grading and about to send my first lot to be graded. Can't wait to see the results! P.S. im not a big fan of all these variant covers🤯.  think I'm gonna stick to the vintage issues.

1 minute ago, Historydigger said:

Hello everyone 👋. I'm a collector of several different collectibles. My first serious collection was comics and sportscards then toys, coins, local history, antique bottles(milk,historical flasks, bitters,figurals),signage,a few marbles, a few arrowheads and I'm sure I'm leaving one or two others out. Anyways I've come full circle and have begun going through my old comics and have begun buying again for the first time since about 93 I'm new to comic grading and about to send my first lot to be graded. Can't wait to see the results! P.S. im not a big fan of all these variant covers🤯.  think I'm gonna stick to the vintage issues.

Welcome aboard!!! (thumbsu

Hello, it’s nice to meet everyone! I’m pretty new to the comic scene, I recently purchased my first comic from my local shop and I think that’s when an addiction kicked in haha. I mainly collect for the cover art of the comic, since I don’t have too much free income to collect entire story arcs. I also mainly like ASM, black cat, Batman the adventures continue, and invincible. If you guys have any suggestions for comics, definitely let me know!

4 minutes ago, Hyperion213 said:

Hello, it’s nice to meet everyone! I’m pretty new to the comic scene, I recently purchased my first comic from my local shop and I think that’s when an addiction kicked in haha. I mainly collect for the cover art of the comic, since I don’t have too much free income to collect entire story arcs. I also mainly like ASM, black cat, Batman the adventures continue, and invincible. If you guys have any suggestions for comics, definitely let me know!

Welcome to the boards...and comic books!!! (thumbsu

10 hours ago, Historydigger said:

sounds like fun, wish you well in all your venture's :tink: 

10 minutes ago, Hyperion213 said:

Yes some can be rather long arcs, but there should be several self contained to one issue comics out there as well, covers aren't bad and still can be rewarding, so have fun! :tink: 

Very very long time lurker. 
Have used much of you all’s information for years.

Disabled Vet, who has been collecting comics off and on for 3+ decades. Just sold off a magic the gathering collection to re-jump back into comics. 
Future plans is wait patiently for the next year to have the 100 different keys I sent in come back graded to hopefully sell most of the bronze-moderns off and roll into a mega key SA book.

Collection wise at least at current pricing I have a House in a few comics.... who would have thought lol ...

Anyways I don’t post a ton because most times someone else already has a smart answer to any question and with simple use of a search bar I can find almost all answers I seek. So yeah cheers!

25 minutes ago, Smushi said:

Disabled Vet, who has been collecting comics off and on for 3+ decades. Just sold off a magic the gathering collection to re-jump back into comics. 
Future plans is wait patiently for the next year to have the 100 different keys I sent in come back graded to hopefully sell most of the bronze-moderns off and roll into a mega key SA book.

Collection wise at least at current pricing I have a House in a few comics.... who would have thought lol ...

Anyways I don’t post a ton because most times someone else already has a smart answer to any question and with simple use of a search bar I can find almost all answers I seek. So yeah cheers!

Sweet! Cheers :tink: 

42 minutes ago, Smushi said:

From one vet to another...welcome aboard!!! (thumbsu

2 minutes ago, TheOldCollector said:

I am new here to the forums but not new to collecting comics. I am just a collector not a seller. I collect impulsively meaning I buy way too much and then feel guilty about it and take some time off and then go back to buying more lol.

Welcome to the boards!!!! (thumbsu

3 minutes ago, TheOldCollector said:

I am new here to the forums but not new to collecting comics. I am just a collector not a seller. I collect impulsively meaning I buy way too much and then feel guilty about it and take some time off and then go back to buying more lol.

Yes, the circle of life!  :headbang:

Hopefully this place can give therapy! Ha! :takeit:

I am new to this forum but have been collecting comics since I was 7 years old and I'm 55 now.  I sold the largest portion of my collection 10 years ago to send my children to college.  I kept my "best" stuff but kick myself most days for the stuff I let go.  I just sold/ traded my Amazing Fantasy 15 on here and I'm getting ready to sell some other "keys".  I've been dealing on ebay for a lot of years but was just introduced to this forum. I still love comics and look forward to be connected to more like minded folks. 

Edited by comicbookkid21

I have been lurking for a while, and have been greatly enjoying the discussion, questions, pictures and sales.  It’s probably only fair that I come “on board” and apologize for the wall of text to follow.

As with several other posters, I recently woke up from a long winter’s nap with regard to my comic collection.  I started actually collecting in the mid-70s while in Junior High, but the first comics I bought that I still have are ASM 62 and FF 73.  Unfortunately I didn’t follow up with additional issues – at the time.  They were sold out of a cardboard box at Joe’s Market, easy walking distance from the house in which I grew up.  In the beginning, I had no concept of how to treat a comic – I loved reading them, and would fold them all the way over – leading to many “rolled spines” and other damage.  I suspect some found their way into the garbage (horrors!).  I also did not know there were places that sold back issues.  I used to have a recurring dream that Joe’s Market had a bunch of “old comics” in the back and they’d let me have them.

I don’t remember how I learned it, I may have read about it in the newspaper, but eventually I stumbled onto the fact that there were stores that sold back issues of comic books.  The first one I ever visited was called “Old Weird Harold’s.”  To get there, I had to take a bus to the other side of town – a ride of about an hour, with a transfer downtown.  As I walked in the door there, I was nothing like a “comic book collector.”  In fact, I probably didn’t have more than a dozen.  I know I had just bought ASM 122 at Joe’s, so working backwards from there is where I started.  I remember the issues immediately preceding ASM 122 were 3 for $1 (so at the time, I paid a premium to read about Gwen’s death).  That first day I probably spent $5.

Over the next several years, I discovered there were quite a few shops that sold “old comic books,” and acquired long runs of ASM, FF, JIM/Thor and Avengers, along with a bunch of other stuff Marvel was expanding into in 1973-1977.  I cared more about "completion" than "quality" unfortunately.  On the other hand, high quality locally-available back issues may not have even been available.  Once I started college, however, comics went to a far back burner.  Aside from a burst in the early 90s and the occasional visit to an LCS while on the road for work, that was it.

So here I am, back into a hobby that has changed dramatically, with more to learn than I had 45 years ago.  I’m not an investor or a speculator, and appreciate I accidently have some stuff that became valuable while I was looking the other way.  Appreciate the discussions and advice here.

On 5/15/2021 at 6:45 PM, comicbookkid21 said:

I am new to this forum but have been collecting comics since I was 7 years old and I'm 55 now.  I sold the largest portion of my collection 10 years ago to send my children to college.  I kept my "best" stuff but kick myself most days for the stuff I let go.  I just sold/ traded my Amazing Fantasy 15 on here and I'm getting ready to sell some other "keys".  I've been dealing on ebay for a lot of years but was just introduced to this forum. I still love comics and look forward to be connected to more like minded folks. 

Welcome aboard!!!  Definitely a tighter-knit group here than on eBay...more knowledge and experience too.  Soak it up!!! (thumbsu

13 hours ago, MattTheDuck said:

I have been lurking for a while, and have been greatly enjoying the discussion, questions, pictures and sales.  It’s probably only fair that I come “on board” and apologize for the wall of text to follow.

As with several other posters, I recently woke up from a long winter’s nap with regard to my comic collection.  I started actually collecting in the mid-70s while in Junior High, but the first comics I bought that I still have are ASM 62 and FF 73.  Unfortunately I didn’t follow up with additional issues – at the time.  They were sold out of a cardboard box at Joe’s Market, easy walking distance from the house in which I grew up.  In the beginning, I had no concept of how to treat a comic – I loved reading them, and would fold them all the way over – leading to many “rolled spines” and other damage.  I suspect some found their way into the garbage (horrors!).  I also did not know there were places that sold back issues.  I used to have a recurring dream that Joe’s Market had a bunch of “old comics” in the back and they’d let me have them.

I don’t remember how I learned it, I may have read about it in the newspaper, but eventually I stumbled onto the fact that there were stores that sold back issues of comic books.  The first one I ever visited was called “Old Weird Harold’s.”  To get there, I had to take a bus to the other side of town – a ride of about an hour, with a transfer downtown.  As I walked in the door there, I was nothing like a “comic book collector.”  In fact, I probably didn’t have more than a dozen.  I know I had just bought ASM 122 at Joe’s, so working backwards from there is where I started.  I remember the issues immediately preceding ASM 122 were 3 for $1 (so at the time, I paid a premium to read about Gwen’s death).  That first day I probably spent $5.

Over the next several years, I discovered there were quite a few shops that sold “old comic books,” and acquired long runs of ASM, FF, JIM/Thor and Avengers, along with a bunch of other stuff Marvel was expanding into in 1973-1977.  I cared more about "completion" than "quality" unfortunately.  On the other hand, high quality locally-available back issues may not have even been available.  Once I started college, however, comics went to a far back burner.  Aside from a burst in the early 90s and the occasional visit to an LCS while on the road for work, that was it.

So here I am, back into a hobby that has changed dramatically, with more to learn than I had 45 years ago.  I’m not an investor or a speculator, and appreciate I accidently have some stuff that became valuable while I was looking the other way.  Appreciate the discussions and advice here.

Welcome to the boards!!! 🖖. Hope you enjoy the threads!!! 😊

On 5/15/2021 at 7:45 PM, comicbookkid21 said:

Glad you have owned some things that you can enjoy, and here is to getting more :tink: 

13 hours ago, MattTheDuck said:

Glad that you had a time of it, I remember as a kid it was hard as well to get by a Local Comic Shop (LCS) and I'd ride my bike with a friend both far and wide :whee: 

On 5/15/2021 at 8:45 PM, comicbookkid21 said:

Welcome to the boards!!! We are always happy to have long time collectors here, and I look forward to making talking books with you!