WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
39 39

1,803 posts in this topic

3 posts

Hello,

My collecting began when my step-father purchased Avengers #363 and Web of Spider-Man Annual #9 while getting slurpees at 7-11.  I cannot recall if he suggested getting them, or if I wanted them, but initially neither comic held my interest.  While Spider-Man and the Avengers are great heroes, they would quickly get overshadowed by the X-Men, X-Factor, Wolverine, and Deadpool.  It also helped that I liked Jim Lee and Joe Mad's art, and would constantly draw these characters in my room at night.  If I wasn't reading a comic then I would usually be reading a Wizard magazine.  Then I quit collecting around the late 90s to early 2000s.  I was fatigued from characters getting killed only to come back again, or books restarting at #1.  I see it still happens now quite a bit, so I just try and pick stuff that catches my eye.  Currently I've been reading the Batman Who Laughs series and already ordered a copy of Detective Comics #1000.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
89 posts
Posted (edited)

Hi everyone!  This is me.  Jake.  "lordisam" based on a cool Wheel of Time villain, Isam.  Love those books, the comics are well done, and look forward to the Amazon TV show.

Just did my very first C2E2.  Got New Mutants #98, and immediately took that sweet baby to CGC for grading, and she scored a 9.4!  (Also grabbed a couple good condition first print G.I. Joe #21.)

Also managed to get George Perez to sign three Infinity Gauntlets at C2E2, got a CGC witness, and gave to them for off site grading for SS.  

Love comedy, showbiz, GI, Joe, Wheel of Time (already mentioned, but bears repeating).

Two great comic book regrets of my life?

1) Selling.................. don't kill me..... please remain calm..... hold....hold....HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD..... Hulk 181 (!!!)   in the early 90's to buy a Super Nintendo.  Probably sold her for 55 bucks..  YOU DAMN buffoon!!   She would easily have been an 8.0.

2) In the same batch - sold X-Men 12 in the 90's.  NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I've been trying to correct those mistakes ever since.  Now that I have a bit more money I plan to somehow get them back!

Glad to be here!

 

C2E2-NM98.jpg

C2E2-GI Joe 21.jpg

Edited by lordisam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
89 posts

Thanks, ADAMANTIUM!  Yeah, it's a goal!  Yes, I got tons of fun out of my SNES!  Good to meet you! :banana:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 post

Hello,my name is Luis Jr. can some one tell me why when I dial the phone for CGC 1-877-nm-comics the operator says "I'm sorry please check the number and dial again". I'm new to this I will be a paid memeber I have 3 comic's I would like to have graded. thank 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,001 posts
49 minutes ago, Luis jr. said:

Hello,my name is Luis Jr. can some one tell me why when I dial the phone for CGC 1-877-nm-comics the operator says "I'm sorry please check the number and dial again". I'm new to this I will be a paid memeber I have 3 comic's I would like to have graded. thank 

1-877-662-6642..... :foryou:

And welcome to the Boards, hope you get the grades you want!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,704 posts
54 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
1 hour ago, Luis jr. said:

Hello,my name is Luis Jr. can some one tell me why when I dial the phone for CGC 1-877-nm-comics the operator says "I'm sorry please check the number and dial again". I'm new to this I will be a paid memeber I have 3 comic's I would like to have graded. thank 

1-877-662-6642..... :foryou:

And welcome to the Boards, hope you get the grades you want!

Or call 1-800-THE- DOCX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,939 posts
On 3/26/2019 at 12:52 PM, lordisam said:

1) Selling.................. don't kill me..... please remain calm..... hold....hold....HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD..... Hulk 181 (!!!)   in the early 90's to buy a Super Nintendo.  Probably sold her for 55 bucks..  YOU DAMN buffoon!!   She would easily have been an 8.0.

i'm sure you got a couple grands worth of enjoyment on the nintendo !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 posts

Hello everyone! I have recently returned to comic collecting and learning all I can to get up to speed. Comics admittedly have been a love/hate relationship for me for many years, but I still enjoy them. DC Comics is my preferred brand, it was Batman and The Watchmen that started it all for me as a kid as well as a few Marvel titles, most notably The Uncanny X-Men, Spider-man, and The Punisher which I still enjoy to this day. Batman is my absolute top favorite. 

My most memorable comic book experience was (and still is!) without a doubt Superman 75, The Death of Superman. I still remember reading it for the first time like it was yesterday. 

Comic grading is something completely new for me, and I’ve recently sent a few books in to get started so I hope they come back with a good grade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 posts
Posted (edited)

I started collecting comics at age 12 in 1991 when a cousin gave me some 1970s Amazing Adventures and Defenders comics. I later came to enjoy 1970s Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel comics, which helped seal my love for Bronze Age comics. The first modern titles I purchased were G.I. Joe and Uncanny X-Men (during Jim Lee's run). In particular, I especially remember Uncanny X-Men #274, which introduced me to Jim Lee's art, and the hotness of jungle Rogue. When I was a young teen, I wrote a letter to the president of Wal-Mart, asking him to stop the practice of placing price stickers on comics. He sent me a letter and said that this practice would be halted, and it actually was. However, it's been some time now since Wal-Mart has sold comic books, so I of course began visiting comic shops frequently and eventually buying on eBay. I was quite dedicated to Image Comics during the early years of the company, especially Jim Lee's WildC.A.T.s as well as Cyberforce, Deathblow/Cybernary, Witchblade, and The Tenth. I named the letters pages for a few now-defunct Image titles (Hazard and Allegra). Around this time I also enjoyed titles such as Shi, Tomoe, Dawn, Darkchylde, Mosaic, and Harpy. For my high school senior trip, I attended the 1997 Wizard World Chicago Comicon, which due to just being sold to Wizard had one-fifth of the usual attendance and thus allowed me to meet Jim Lee, Tony Daniel, Billy Tucci, Randy Queen, and Dan Parsons, including getting something signed by each and having conversations with most. I even got a WildC.A.T.s comic signed by Jim Lee and then got back in line to shake his hand, which made him smile, all free of charge. Between 2005 and 2008, I sold nearly my entire comic collection on eBay to help finance grad school, including 25 long boxes of bagged and boarded comics. I've only been a Power Seller on eBay twice, but I still periodically buy and sell comics on eBay. During my time in Los Angeles as a postdoctoral researcher in 2013-2016, I was able to attend several comic book conventions (WonderCon multiple times, Long Beach Comic Con once), which was the first time since 1997, during which I again had conversations with Dan Parsons (cool guy) and met Karl Alstaetter, Ale Garza, Jonboy Meyers, Matt "Batt" Banning, and Jamie Tyndall (who told me he was moving to New Orleans soon, which I connected with due to being from Louisiana). As of now (2019), I have moved to the DFW area in Texas for work, and my renewed comic collection is much smaller than it used to be; but I tend to focus on key issues (mostly from the Bronze Age on up, though some Silver too), issues having sentimental value to me, and newer issues that I just enjoy for the story or artwork. I have not attended any additional comic book conventions since moving but plan to hit the ones in Dallas and New Orleans eventually (and perhaps the budding comic book convention in Lafayette, LA at the Cajundome).

Edited by comicdiablo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,001 posts
20 minutes ago, digilink said:

Hello everyone! I have recently returned to comic collecting and learning all I can to get up to speed. Comics admittedly have been a love/hate relationship for me for many years, but I still enjoy them. DC Comics is my preferred brand, it was Batman and The Watchmen that started it all for me as a kid as well as a few Marvel titles, most notably The Uncanny X-Men, Spider-man, and The Punisher which I still enjoy to this day. Batman is my absolute top favorite. 

My most memorable comic book experience was (and still is!) without a doubt Superman 75, The Death of Superman. I still remember reading it for the first time like it was yesterday. 

Comic grading is something completely new for me, and I’ve recently sent a few books in to get started so I hope they come back with a good grade. 

Good luck on the grades! :wishluck:

And welcome to the Boards ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,001 posts
11 minutes ago, comicdiablo said:

I started collecting comics at age 12 in 1991 when a cousin gave me some 1970s Amazing Adventures and Defenders comics. I later came to enjoy 1970s Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel comics, which helped seal my love for Bronze Age comics. The first modern titles I purchased were G.I. Joe and Uncanny X-Men (during Jim Lee's run). In particular, I especially remember Uncanny X-Men #274, which introduced me to Jim Lee's art, and the hotness of jungle Rogue. When I was a young teen, I wrote a letter to the president of Wal-Mart, asking him to stop the practice of placing price stickers on comics. He sent me a letter and said that this practice would be halted, and it actually was. However, it's been some time now since Wal-Mart has sold comic books, so I of course began visiting comic shops frequently and eventually buying on eBay. I was quite dedicated to Image Comics during the early years of the company, especially Jim Lee's WildC.A.T.s as well as Cyberforce, Deathblow/Cybernary, Witchblade, and The Tenth. I named the letters pages for a few now-defunct Image titles (Hazard and Allegra). Around this time I also have enjoyed titles such as Shi, Tomoe, Dawn, Darkchylde, Mosaic, and Harpy. For my high school senior trip, I attended the 1997 Wizard World Chicago Comicon, which due to just being sold to Wizard had 1/5 of the usual attendance and thus allowed me to meet Jim Lee, Tony Daniel, Billy Tucci, Randy Queen, and Dan Parsons, including getting something signed by each and having conversations with most. I even got a WildC.A.T.s comic signed by Jim Lee and then got back in line to shake his hand, which made him smile, all free of charge. Between 2005 and 2008, I sold nearly my entire comic collection on eBay to help finance grad school, including 25 long boxes of bagged and boarded comics. I've only been a Power Seller on eBay twice, but I still periodically buy and sell comics on eBay. As of now, my renewed comic collection is much smaller than it used to be, but I tend to focus on key issues (mostly from the Bronze Age on up, but some Silver too), issues having sentimental value to me, and newer issues that I just enjoy for the story or artwork.

Glad that you put pen to paper! :whee:

Welcome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 posts
6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Glad that you put pen to paper! :whee:

Welcome!

Thanks! Sorry about changing some of the content of my original post after you quoted it, but there were a few parts I remembered I wanted to add!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 posts

Hello!

 

My name is James and I go by next level collector as that is my FB and YouTube name...please check me out !

Anyway I've been a collector since I was 13 which may be later than some people and I started collecting graphic novels of ultimate spider Man...(I know graphic novels aren't worth squat) but alas started my adventure into learning and collecting. I don't have any graded comics yet but I don't 100% know how to do that 

I'm here to listen and learn from the pros! And I'm enjoying interacting with people who have similar interests!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,001 posts
12 hours ago, Next level collector said:

Hello!

 

My name is James and I go by next level collector as that is my FB and YouTube name...please check me out !

Anyway I've been a collector since I was 13 which may be later than some people and I started collecting graphic novels of ultimate spider Man...(I know graphic novels aren't worth squat) but alas started my adventure into learning and collecting. I don't have any graded comics yet but I don't 100% know how to do that 

I'm here to listen and learn from the pros! And I'm enjoying interacting with people who have similar interests!

Welcome to the HIVE, I mean Boards! lol :foryou: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,060 posts
On 3/26/2019 at 12:52 PM, lordisam said:

Hi everyone!  This is me.  Jake.  "lordisam" based on a cool Wheel of Time villain, Isam.  Love those books, the comics are well done, and look forward to the Amazon TV show.

Just did my very first C2E2.  Got New Mutants #98, and immediately took that sweet baby to CGC for grading, and she scored a 9.4!  (Also grabbed a couple good condition first print G.I. Joe #21.)

Also managed to get George Perez to sign three Infinity Gauntlets at C2E2, got a CGC witness, and gave to them for off site grading for SS.  

Love comedy, showbiz, GI, Joe, Wheel of Time (already mentioned, but bears repeating).

Two great comic book regrets of my life?

1) Selling.................. don't kill me..... please remain calm..... hold....hold....HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD..... Hulk 181 (!!!)   in the early 90's to buy a Super Nintendo.  Probably sold her for 55 bucks..  YOU DAMN buffoon!!   She would easily have been an 8.0.

2) In the same batch - sold X-Men 12 in the 90's.  NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

I've been trying to correct those mistakes ever since.  Now that I have a bit more money I plan to somehow get them back!

Glad to be here!

 

C2E2-NM98.jpg

C2E2-GI Joe 21.jpg

welcome to the Boards !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 posts

Hi, everyone!  My name is Scott, and I've been reading and collecting comics as an actual hobby since 1984.  The first comics I actually remember reading were my brother's Star Wars 1-6 back in 1977.  I was a Star Wars freak as a kid, so of course I had to sneak those whenever I could.  I distinctly remember that he had stapled some of the pages together where there were double-page ads, so those ads wouldn't interrupt your reading.  ???

In 1982, I became obsessed with GI Joe, and during one fateful trip to the grocery store, I stumbled across GI Joe #7.  I didn't even know there was a GI Joe comic until I laid eyes on it, and I instantly fell in love.  That was the first comic I ever bought with my own money, and it now occupies a place of honor in my geek room.  (Yeah, it's been read to death and is only about a 4.0, but as far as I'm concerned, it's one of the centerpieces of my collection.) :luhv:

From there, I bought as many Star Wars and GI Joe comics as I could find (not many in my small town and with very limited resources), and I remember famously saying to anyone who would listen that the only good comics were GI Joe and Star Wars and that superhero comics were for losers and dorks.  doh!

I soon discovered that I was apparently a loser and a dork, and I've been hooked ever since.  (It was Secret Wars that got me...)  I've now been buying and reading steadily for the last 35 years with only a couple small breaks, and I've amassed a collection that has pretty much taken over my basement. I'm currently in the process of re-bagging everything, and it's been a ton of fun seeing great old books that I haven't pulled out in years.

I plan to submit a few of my gems to CGC in the near future, and that's how I discovered the boards.  I've been lurking for a couple months, but hopefully I'll come out of my shell and post every now and then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 posts

Alright, been looking around a bit, joined up today and figured I would just start here.  

I'm Will, I was into comics a bunch as a kid (Copper Age), took a 20+ year break and have started back up, trying to grab up some of the stuff I loved as a kid that is getting wildly popular now and soon to be out of budget (read NM98.... which I traded as a kid sigh).  I've been a competitive shooter (USPSA) for 20 years or so and started doing BJJ the last few years.  

I'm into Copper Age keys, have my New Mutants run almost complete, Love Hulk, Punisher, DD, Xmen but also the dark and horror type comics.  I'm in the process of getting higher grade silver age Neal Adams Batman Covers with each of the bad guys or most of on the cover.  Getting them/have them CGC'd and plan on putting them up on display in my comic room/study/drawing room/reading room/wife yoga area...  I currently have  Batman 294/296 + Detective Comics 407.  Also in the process of starting a Hulk 340 homage cover collection....

Been on other boards for a while, I promise to use search.  Thanks in advance for the help and knowledge.  I am going straight to the for sale section after this....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
39 39