• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of Foreign Versions of Comics?
1 1

49 posts in this topic

I have several German comics, but never knew what they are actually worth.

Here is an example.

img015.jpg

Nice book ! German collectors have the bag and board culture so you can find highgrades: Z 0 - or Z 1 as German grade them

Value depends too on the year they where printed . Some silver age books where printed the same year or the next year of the US print for example La Prensa publishing and of course the pence editions..

Hey Guys,

What are people's thoughts on foreign versions of comic books and their value relative to the U.S. versions.

From what I've seen on eBay, U.K. versions of key Silver Age books, go for about the same as the U.S. versions. Does that seem correct?

What about non-English versions like those distributed in Mexico and elsewhere?

The Mexican silver Age La Prensa´s have been gaining a lot of value . An Argentinian collector just sold his entire collection at Ebay and some copies where sold more than the US versions grade to grade ... one example was Fantastic Four 48 , some Cap America and Tales to astonish books.

If you have enough money you can get easily get any US silver age book you want ... but if you want a foreign book that´s another story , you have to wait until a copy is available .. if you are lucky of course

Here are some big graded key´s la Prensa´s on the market i have on my watch list

First Ant Man

FF 1

Some Foreign Comic collectors I know have mentioned the very high desirability of that La Prensa FF1.

It's so early (1962), roughly one year after the US one, and from what I have heard, very few are known to exist. Others with greater knowledge please chime in.

There is also "Foreign Comic Collector" magazine (or a name very similar to that), that comes out in digital format every so often, I believe. Don't have the link to it at the moment.

Yes, there sure is.... archived back issues here....

http://foreigncomiccollector.webs.com/archive

As far as the La Prensa FF1, yes its extremely tough! Many are locked up in there forever homes in Mexican collections. Very few come to market so a buying opportunity of amy grade is rare.... :gossip:

On 12/7/2013 at 1:43 PM, RockMapleCasbah said:

Hey Guys,

What are people's thoughts on foreign versions of comic books and their value relative to the U.S. versions.

From what I've seen on eBay, U.K. versions of key Silver Age books, go for about the same as the U.S. versions. Does that seem correct?

What about non-English versions like those distributed in Mexico and elsewhere?

UK versions in mind are a lot better, they are printed at the same time and same paper the only difference is price, look at Amazing Fantasy 15 U.S. there are 4000 CGC graded copies, an Amazing Fantasy 15 UK there are less than 75, silver age US marvel books are a lot more common, its a mystery to me why collectors think the UK counterpart is inferior, when it 50 times more rare, Star Wars #1 35 cent price variant is worth significantly more due to the scarcity, UK editions should be and i believe will be, anybody can find U.S. silver age key, try finding a UK one