• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there a book getting hot now just about every other day?

20 posts in this topic

Being on this forum has its advantages and disadvantages. Its such a great tool to use and you get to socialize about things I could never with other people I know. Its also great to buy, sell, and help with grading!

However…. it also causes my comic addiction to spike 3 levels higher than it was before. I hear all the news about various books that get hot (X-Factor 6 and Preacher ATM) and now I almost feel like I have no choice to go on a frenzy and get the book before it skyrockets.

This happened with X-Factor #6. I saw the book for a few months thinking "Apocalypse is cool and all… Not sure I wanna spend $10 + shipping on the book though." Then this Singer madness happened and I couldn't even find a copy for under $35!

It was like my worst OCD fears had come true and I couldn't find a reasonable copy. Now it only reinforces my habits of buying a book when I see it, otherwise the book might get hot. So are there going to be books spiking practically everyday? Defenders, Ultron, Thanos, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Guardians, Preacher, Deathstroke, Apocalypse, who's next?

On a side note… I ended up getting a hi-grade #6 for under $20. It's good and all, but still basically had to pay double instead of just buying a copy a month ago.

You'll get a lot more enjoyment out of this hobby if you just buy what you like and don't chase your tail.

You win some, you lose some, but if you're going to buy stuff as they get hot, you're in for a world of butthurt.

The question you need to be asking yourself is --

"Why do you want a copy?"

If it wasn't worth $10 to you a few months ago, why is it worth $20 to you now?

I don't chase hot books unless they are core to my collecting focus. There are far more cool books out there than I have money to collect, so it makes sense to focus my non-core collecting on cool books that are currently not hot.

I much prefer to be a seller of hot books than a buyer.

Time to dig that copy of X-factor 6 out of my drek box and start a sales thread. :D .

Being on this forum has its advantages and disadvantages. Its such a great tool to use and you get to socialize about things I could never with other people I know. Its also great to buy, sell, and help with grading!

However…. it also causes my comic addiction to spike 3 levels higher than it was before. I hear all the news about various books that get hot (X-Factor 6 and Preacher ATM) and now I almost feel like I have no choice to go on a frenzy and get the book before it skyrockets.

This happened with X-Factor #6. I saw the book for a few months thinking "Apocalypse is cool and all… Not sure I wanna spend $10 + shipping on the book though." Then this Singer madness happened and I couldn't even find a copy for under $35!

It was like my worst OCD fears had come true and I couldn't find a reasonable copy. Now it only reinforces my habits of buying a book when I see it, otherwise the book might get hot. So are there going to be books spiking practically everyday? Defenders, Ultron, Thanos, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Guardians, Preacher, Deathstroke, Apocalypse, who's next?

On a side note… I ended up getting a hi-grade #6 for under $20. It's good and all, but still basically had to pay double instead of just buying a copy a month ago.

I just looked on eBay. They're way more than $20. :o

Looks like I need to dig out my nice copies and cash in.

I sold all my junk copies a few months ago when they spiked. :whee:

The question you need to be asking yourself is --

"Why do you want a copy?"

I don't chase hot books unless they are core to my collecting focus. There are far more cool books out there than I have money to collect, so it makes sense to focus my non-core collecting on cool books that are currently not hot.

I much prefer to be a seller of hot books than a buyer.

Time to dig that copy of X-factor 6 out of my drek box and start a sales thread. :D .

Very true. In my mind.. I think the copy wasn't worth $10 a few months ago because I "thought" it wasn't going anywhere. Until it did haha.

The only other book I'm looking at that is hot is ASM #121 and thats only because I need it for my ASM run. Thanks for the advice.

You'll get a lot more enjoyment out of this hobby if you just buy what you like and don't chase your tail.

You win some, you lose some, but if you're going to buy stuff as they get hot, you're in for a world of butthurt.

Some of the best advice ever. :applause:

ASM #121 is a hot book? Is hotter than it's normal hot?

I can't keep up. :insane:

X-factor 6 has been hot for about 2 years now. I bought a few 9.8's only 2 years ago for about $100 each and a 9.4 unslabbed for $15.

To be fair though,

X-Factor 6 deserves its hotness. Its a tough book to find in high grades for a copper due to the black ink splashes on cover.. Its been undervalued for about 15 years.

Preacher #1, on the other hand,

should probably come back down considering there are hundreds if not thousands of 9.8's unslabbed and its an easy graded 9.8 since everyone horded them in the late 90's.

I'd avoid books like Preacher #1 and Batman Adventures #12 considering there are countless horded not on the census.

but books like

Spider-man #9, 41, 14

X-Factor #6

Fantastic Four #36,45,46,52

Avengers #55,57,28

Captain America #117,118

Iron Man #55

Ms Marvel 18

are white hot right now.

Villains are finally catching up, if not surpassing superheroes in popularity. Those Silver Age minor keys are extremely undervalued considering Disney/Fox and Sony are about to start digging deep into the Marvel universe for new products.

And the DC minor keys are worth it too.

Folks will regret not picking up books like Hawkman 4 and Flash 110 for virtually beans, now.

The DC list is actually pretty long and Im often shocked how inexpensive some of these books are considering there rarity.

whats happening is there is a golden/silver/bronze boom as more and more collectors cancel subscriptions they are spending that money on silver keys instead!

Go Silver!

I expect that the recent price increase will show that it isn't a tough book at all as copies start flying onto E-bay :D

X-factor 6 has been hot for about 2 years now. I bought a few 9.8's only 2 years ago for about $100 each and a 9.4 unslabbed for $15.

To be fair though,

X-Factor 6 deserves its hotness. Its a tough book to find in high grades for a copper due to the black ink splashes on cover.. Its been undervalued for about 15 years.

Yeah, the ASM 121 would be a frustrating book if I was missing it. It's pretty core to any Spidey collector's wants, but the recent prices have gotten crazy.

I'm in the same boat with FF 52. I'm missing it in my FF run, but there is no way I'm going to pay more for my copy of 52 than I did for my copy of 48.

Very true. In my mind.. I think the copy wasn't worth $10 a few months ago because I "thought" it wasn't going anywhere. Until it did haha.

The only other book I'm looking at that is hot is ASM #121 and thats only because I need it for my ASM run. Thanks for the advice.

"X-Factor 6 deserves its hotness. Its a tough book to find in high grades for a copper due to the black ink splashes on cover."

CGC census: 2 9.9s, 204 9.8s, 145 9.6s - and God knows how many more thousands are not CGC graded.

You're not looking in the right places, maybe?

"X-Factor 6 deserves its hotness. Its a tough book to find in high grades for a copper due to the black ink splashes on cover."

CGC census: 2 9.9s, 204 9.8s, 145 9.6s - and God knows how many more thousands are not CGC graded.

You're not looking in the right places, maybe?

Found me some XF6's for a decent price a little while back. Think I paid $10 each. All 9.8's.

9BE04C0D-234F-477B-9DA5-9B19A30DF2E3-11666-000008D42AC2C487.jpg

ABCCA189-67AE-4077-842E-FA5E2E1409DB.jpg

There are hundreds of first appearances out there and it can become difficult to pinpoint which one will go up in value more than the other. There are ways to figure out some potential sleepers out there, but for the most part it is difficult to predict what book will quadruple in value in a few short years.

As people have pointed out collect what you like and the rest will fall into place on some of the books you pick up.

To be fair though,

Preacher #1, on the other hand,

should probably come back down considering there are hundreds if not thousands of 9.8's unslabbed and its an easy graded 9.8 since everyone horded them in the late 90's.

I'd avoid books like Preacher #1 and Batman Adventures #12 considering there are countless horded not on the census.

but books like

Spider-man #9, 41, 14

X-Factor #6

Fantastic Four #36,45,46,52

Avengers #55,57,28

Captain America #117,118

Iron Man #55

Ms Marvel 18

are white hot right now.

Villains are finally catching up, if not surpassing superheroes in popularity. Those Silver Age minor keys are extremely undervalued considering Disney/Fox and Sony are about to start digging deep into the Marvel universe for new products.

And the DC minor keys are worth it too.

Folks will regret not picking up books like Hawkman 4 and Flash 110 for virtually beans, now.

The DC list is actually pretty long and Im often shocked how inexpensive some of these books are considering there rarity.

whats happening is there is a golden/silver/bronze boom as more and more collectors cancel subscriptions they are spending that money on silver keys instead!

Go Silver!

i have sold around 6 x-factor 6's this year. this week i sold one for $20 something in gd/vg condition. the other copies i have had were vf+ copies. this week was the first time i sold one for over $10. hot for 2 years my

I know the feeling. I guess I'm a victim of it, especially for bronze age stuff and modernsas they're generally affordable; I don't see a problem buying stuff for profit, but for every comic you buy there might only be a couple that go up in price, so the overall profit won't be worth it. It's easy to get hooked doing it, that Marvel Super Heroes 18 or Joker's Daughter 3D I've sold sometimes make it feel like it's worth it.

Having said that I did get X-Factor #6 in high grade for £5 recently, and Preacher #1 for £15 a couple of years ago just because it's my favourite series and I wanted to own the first issue. It's really easy to impulse buy and forget why you wanted them in the first place. Best just to be selective; you can't win them all, and mostly buy just to enjoy reading them with the odd one just to sell or enjoy owning.

It's been a pleasantly-surprising year during which I've acquired quite a number of books that, while not currently highly sought-after, have a lot of personal / nostalgic significance. Very fulfilling, and I've been content to sit back and watch the frenzy.

It'll be interesting and even amusing to see how much of it ends badly.

I need to start asking myself this. Of course I will then tell myself some excuse, thus convince my good conscience that this time its gonna work :devil: