• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Flash gets attacked while raising money for charity

25 posts in this topic

Man dressed as The Flash on cross-country trip gets attacked

jamie_mcdonald.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

By: Ethan Lou

A British man on a cross-Canada fundraising run dressed as the superhero The Flash ran into villains in Banff, Alta., who beat him up following New Year’s celebrations.

Jamie McDonald of Gloucester, U.K., said he was in costume when three men dragged him into a hotel room about 2 a.m.

The 27-year-old, who is running to raise money for Canadian and British children’s hospitals, including SickKids in Toronto, was then dragged into the room’s bathroom and repeatedly struck.

McDonald struggled with his attackers and eventually bolted out of the room and into the streets.

He said the men appeared to be in their late 20s or early 30s, but he does not remember what they looked like.

Photos View photos

Jamie McDonald, in his Flash superhero costume in Banff on Wednesday, says he still thinks Canada is a great country even though he was mugged hours earlier. zoom

McDonald said he was not seriously hurt but something nearly as precious as health was lost that night. In his flight, he left behind his bag, which contained his wallet, credit cards, camera and a hard drive containing footage of his nine-month journey.

“That hard drive is possibly $1 million worth of fundraising for children’s hospitals,” he said.

The bag and all its contents were eventually found about 8:30 a.m. not far from where McDonald was attacked, when his Facebook followers visited the area.

“Maybe (the attackers) had a change of heart,” McDonald said.

More Video

Canada makes territorial claim for the North Pole Video: Canada makes territorial claim for the North Pole

Could a so-called fatberg happen in Canada? Video: Could a so-called fatberg happen in Canada?

Banff RCMP could not immediately be reached for comment on the attack, which made headlines in the British media on New Year’s Day.

McDonald has raised about $97,000 so far in Canada and about $21,000 in the U.K.

That was after covering about 6,000 kilometres since beginning in Newfoundland last March. McDonald, who didn’t say when he would hit the road again, is due to complete his journey in Vancouver, almost 1,000 kilometres down the road.

As a child, McDonald was hospitalized on and off for nine years due to syringomyelia, a degenerative disorder in which a cyst forms on the spinal cord and grows over time, often causing nerve damage.

Last July, as he passed through Toronto, McDonald told the Star that exercise diminished those childhood symptoms and he was hoping to inspire children with his run.

“I chose Canada because I heard it was the best country in the world,” he said at the time.

That view remains unchanged, even after the attack.

“It’s unfortunate, but it’s a blip in the ocean,” McDonald said.

The luxury Fairmont Banff Springs hotel gave McDonald free accommodation Wednesday night.

“Anything we can do to help him on his journey, we’re more than happy to do,” hotel spokeswoman Lori Côté told the Star

Neither Côté nor McDonald would say which hotel was the scene of the attack.

Actually, this was probably a good thing as it will no doubt raise awareness of his run. Kudos to this guy for fundraising. I met a cross-country Captain America doing the same thing here for vets about a year and a half ago.

Man dressed as The Flash on cross-country trip gets attacked

jamie_mcdonald.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

By: Ethan Lou

A British man on a cross-Canada fundraising run dressed as the superhero The Flash ran into villains in Banff, Alta., who beat him up following New Year’s celebrations.

Jamie McDonald of Gloucester, U.K., said he was in costume when three men dragged him into a hotel room about 2 a.m.

The 27-year-old, who is running to raise money for Canadian and British children’s hospitals, including SickKids in Toronto, was then dragged into the room’s bathroom and repeatedly struck.

McDonald struggled with his attackers and eventually bolted out of the room and into the streets.

He said the men appeared to be in their late 20s or early 30s, but he does not remember what they looked like.

Photos View photos

Jamie McDonald, in his Flash superhero costume in Banff on Wednesday, says he still thinks Canada is a great country even though he was mugged hours earlier. zoom

McDonald said he was not seriously hurt but something nearly as precious as health was lost that night. In his flight, he left behind his bag, which contained his wallet, credit cards, camera and a hard drive containing footage of his nine-month journey.

“That hard drive is possibly $1 million worth of fundraising for children’s hospitals,” he said.

The bag and all its contents were eventually found about 8:30 a.m. not far from where McDonald was attacked, when his Facebook followers visited the area.

“Maybe (the attackers) had a change of heart,” McDonald said.

More Video

Canada makes territorial claim for the North Pole Video: Canada makes territorial claim for the North Pole

Could a so-called fatberg happen in Canada? Video: Could a so-called fatberg happen in Canada?

Banff RCMP could not immediately be reached for comment on the attack, which made headlines in the British media on New Year’s Day.

McDonald has raised about $97,000 so far in Canada and about $21,000 in the U.K.

That was after covering about 6,000 kilometres since beginning in Newfoundland last March. McDonald, who didn’t say when he would hit the road again, is due to complete his journey in Vancouver, almost 1,000 kilometres down the road.

As a child, McDonald was hospitalized on and off for nine years due to syringomyelia, a degenerative disorder in which a cyst forms on the spinal cord and grows over time, often causing nerve damage.

Last July, as he passed through Toronto, McDonald told the Star that exercise diminished those childhood symptoms and he was hoping to inspire children with his run.

“I chose Canada because I heard it was the best country in the world,” he said at the time.

That view remains unchanged, even after the attack.

“It’s unfortunate, but it’s a blip in the ocean,” McDonald said.

The luxury Fairmont Banff Springs hotel gave McDonald free accommodation Wednesday night.

“Anything we can do to help him on his journey, we’re more than happy to do,” hotel spokeswoman Lori Côté told the Star

Neither Côté nor McDonald would say which hotel was the scene of the attack.

Our worlds sucks.

"The victim claimed he was frozen in place by a freeze ray, then repeatedly struck in the head with boomerangs."

Those dirty Rogues!

:sumo:

lol

This is a sad story. I'm not trying to take anything away from that. BUT does it really surprise anyone? New Years Eve, bad part of town, dressed as the flash...

Banff is one of the most beautiful places on earth. I guess you can find creeps and drunks anywhere.

OK, story time from a true Texan. I went to Banff with a bunch of family. I am a hardcore Texan and lot heat. So, all my Canadian family say "let's go ice fishing in the middle of January" I say "sure, it'll be fun". 6 layers later, I have lots feeling in every protruding limb of my body. They my nephew thinks it's funny to throw about 3 ounces of water on me. I HATED THAT WATER! I tried to leave, but everyone ridiculed me, (I can't handle cold well). By the time we were done, the water on the outside froze, and I could barely move. "sure, it'll be fun"! Man's last words. Carry on.

Banff is one of the most beautiful places on earth. I guess you can find creeps and drunks anywhere.

OK, story time from a true Texan. I went to Banff with a bunch of family. I am a hardcore Texan and lot heat. So, all my Canadian family say "let's go ice fishing in the middle of January" I say "sure, it'll be fun". 6 layers later, I have lots feeling in every protruding limb of my body. They my nephew thinks it's funny to throw about 3 ounces of water on me. I HATED THAT WATER! I tried to leave, but everyone ridiculed me, (I can't handle cold well). By the time we were done, the water on the outside froze, and I could barely move. "sure, it'll be fun"! Man's last words. Carry on.

Go in the summer, it's much warmer. I drive down 4 or 5 times a year to ski, it's heaven.

Weird.

It looks just like English, yet it isn't. hm

1325692d1388204442-wruw-saturday-28th-december-2013-frozen-man.jpg

I'm the complete opposite and hate the heat, but then again I live in a province that was reported as colder then the surface of mars.

I'm the complete opposite and hate the heat, but then again I live in a province that was reported as colder then the surface of mars.

I believe it.

I believe it.

I tell people I'm going somewhere hot when it's all said and done so I'm in no rush to get away from the cold.

I believe it.

I tell people I'm going somewhere hot when it's all said and done so I'm in no rush to get away from the cold.
I believe it.