• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 Appreciation/ Club Thread
12 12

1,166 posts in this topic

On 4/3/2017 at 9:30 PM, manetteska said:

Really? On a gigantic, publicized, hallmark numbered issue, enough have been submitted for grading (when typically only high grade copies are submitted) to say there is a 1/20 chance of finding a copy and getting a 9.8?

I agree with manetteska, there's no way that 9.8 is 1-in-20 for copies in the wild, unless you get to inspect the books or you can get a good cover scan of the front and back and select only 20 copies that APPEAR to be 9.8.

Only 1-in-20 of "slab-worthy" copies have been 9.8.  There are literally tons of copies of this book in the wild which aren't slab-worthy and don't have a shot at 9.0, much less 9.8.

1-in-20 is the "cherry picking" rate, which resulted in 95% failure.

Furthermore, if anyone is buying raw copies on Ebay and expecting a 9.8, then the seller is either a nincompoop (since they're leaving $1,000+ on the table) or the buyer is a nincompoop (since they think the seller is a nincompoop).  :kidaround:

Edited by valiantman

On 4/3/2017 at 6:57 PM, ThothAmon said:

Think there might be more than a few longboxes of them out there in collections of collectors in there 60's now.  I'm a little younger but it did come out at a time when I frequently bought multiple copies of books I liked.  The market appears insatiable for them now.

Based on what I have seen from going through a few piles of store backstock, it will be tough to find them by the long box now. Multiple copies in a collection? Definitely. The last long box of ASM 300s that I saw was in 2001 when the owner of a failed LCS blew out the stock in his last storage locker. Unfortunately, they were not bagged/boarded so they all had minor dings. :tonofbricks:

This book was big back in the day due to 1st Venom appearance and the iconic cover, so the demand was there to drive stores to sell their backstock for a premium from the get go (one of the LCSs dug out a case of NM #98s a couple of years ago, but no ASM #300s since they sold out early).  We also did not see the major speculation on McFarlane Spidey until the McSpidey #1s. I was just 14 at the time, but I can remember watching speculators haul out long boxes of each cover at my file LCS since they were going to put their kids through college with them. Based on that, I only bought one copy of each cover for my Spidey collection as even I could see that it would not end well for them as a youth....... lol

Edited by kimik

I remember back in late 2014 and 2015 there was like 7-9 pages on ebay full of Amazing Spiderman 300's for sale, sure some of them were cover "swipes" I think that they're called, that paid homage to ASM 300. Now there is like what 3 pages on ebay? all designated to the original first print, with a few of the mini not for resales?

They were listed for these prices back then too, I don't know if any really sold for this much in CGC 9.8 though, don't recall. 

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:43 PM, kimik said:

We also did not see the major speculation on McFarlane Spidey until the McSpidey #1s.

That's not entirely true.   McFarlane was already a "star" when Marvel moved him over to ASM.  That 300 was an anniversary issue, double size  and featured a brand new villain (anyone have an old previews for reference to how it was promoted???), gave it some early steam.   I know of one boardie that says he bought multiple cases at the time.   He still had them (maybe still does) within that past 10 or so years.  

It certainly wasn't at the level of McSpidey 1, but people knew it was going to be a good book. 

Its done! Spiderman 300 foreign set complete. Every non-American Spiderman 300 that was created on the planet now resides in my collection. At least known.... there is always a chance in this niche that a new book will pop up. But, this is it as far as known 300's. 

American, Spanish, Italian, Mexican, Sweden, Poland, Greek, Dutch, Finnish, French, Danish, Filipino, Norwegian, and finally the Hungarian. This set is 1 of 3 known to to exist in a complete state as far as the foriegns go. Very happy to be done…..

33735289260_ea17b74e2c_o.jpg

33962940882_778d81d002_o.jpg

Edited by Define999

56 minutes ago, valiantman said:

:headbang:

Do you have the dates for them?  How many were printed close to the original, and how many years later did some of them take? 

Yes I can find them... right off the top of my head I think the Mexican was probably the closest to the original date.... maybe that same year actually.  Then a decent group got printed in the early 90's with the latest being 1997 I think? Id have to check.

So it looks like the Dutch and Filipino could have been the closest having come out in 88. The Mexican came out in June 89 and the Spanish in Sept of 89. The Italian everybody loves came out a few years later in March of 92. And most of the Nordic countries a little after that. 

22 hours ago, Define999 said:

Its done! Spiderman 300 foreign set complete. Every non-American Spiderman 300 that was created on the planet now resides in my collection. At least known.... there is always a chance in this niche that a new book will pop up. But, this is it as far as known 300's. 

American, Spanish, Italian, Mexican, Sweden, Poland, Greek, Dutch, Finnish, French, Danish, Filipino, Norwegian, and finally the Hungarian. This set is 1 of 3 known to to exist in a complete state as far as the foriegns go. Very happy to be done…..

Very cool collection! Planning to slab them?

16 hours ago, valiantman said:

Thanks!

I always thought of these as "foreign reprints" but as far as those countries and languages go, they were "first prints" just later than the original.  (thumbsu

Well many in the hobby have different ideas about classification... but those in the know like to consider these issues editions more similar to the book hobby. The reprint classification doesn't do these books justice. To many different elements that make them very different from the originals including translation. This is a argument those in the foreign niche have been fighting for quite a while..... 

Edited by Define999
clarity

34 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Very cool collection! Planning to slab them?

Nah... though I do have the highest graded Italian in a 9.4! Ill send ya a PM to show ya! One of the complete foreign sets is slabbed though and most are signed by Todd. Pretty killer.....

On Tue Apr 18 2017 at 8:23 AM, Define999 said:

Simply amazing.  (worship)

And people wonder why this book is pushing $2k in a 9.8.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Simply amazing.  (worship)

And people wonder why this book is pushing $2k in a 9.8.

-J.

Yea, im crazy for it..... check out the Hungarian up close. I love the Superman title in there, comes with a backup Supes story! This copy is rough but I don't mind... cant be a grade chaser really in the foreign niche world.

34103916476_98c6e94200_o.jpg 

Edited by Define999

52 minutes ago, Define999 said:

Yea, im crazy for it..... check out the Hungarian up close. I love the Superman title in there, comes with a backup Supes story! This copy is rough but I don't mind... cant be a grade chaser really in the foreign niche world.

34103916476_98c6e94200_o.jpg 

That really is some awesome stuff. 

Venom and Superman.   

I'd love to see those two in the same movie.  :cloud9:

-J.

On 4/18/2017 at 11:23 AM, Define999 said:

One of the coolest collections I've seen.  Well done, congrats!

On 3/11/2017 at 6:39 PM, I like pie said:

Wow. Am I looking at these right? A couple ebay sales for universal 9.8 @ $1900 and $2250?

And to think that collectors or speculators are still willing to pay these kind of prices when there are already 700 copies of these graded in 9.8 or better condition, with hundreds more still to come which are sitting in personal collections out there. 

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

And to think that collectors or speculators are still willing to pay these kind of prices when there are already 700 copies of these graded in 9.8 or better condition, with hundreds more still to come which are sitting in personal collections out there. 

Walking Dead 1 goes for $3k+ in a 9.8 and there are over 900 of those in a 9.8+.

And considering ASM 300 is already one of the most highly slabbed books in CGC's history, and still "only" has about 700 (1 out of about every 20 submissions), I wouldn't be holding my breath for "hundreds of more 9.8's" to be hitting the census anytime this decade (or ever?). lol

-J.