• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

On 2/17/2018 at 1:17 AM, comicquant said:

Really strong 9.0.  Maybe the strongest I've seen.  Anyone have the notes?

Impossible to tell from small scans.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Impossible to tell from small scans.

If I'm a major player on this book, I'm flying in to view it.  Problem solved.

36.jpg

Edited by peewee22

OK, the spiderman plane has me wondering about whether there are people who specialized in collecting all of the very strange things that were offered for sale over the years in marvel publications.  Things like the spiderman and Thor pillows, the poster of Stan Lee,  T shirts of thor, Spiderman, hulk all for  $1.50 each. It was a push on the Merry Marvel Marching Society around 1968. 

2 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

OK, the spiderman plane has me wondering about whether there are people who specialized in collecting all of the very strange things that were offered for sale over the years in marvel publications.  Things like the spiderman and Thor pillows, the poster of Stan Lee,  T shirts of thor, Spiderman, hulk all for  $1.50 each. It was a push on the Merry Marvel Marching Society around 1968. 

Oh yeah , I've seen some insane collections, and they just go after the Spiderman stuff

10 hours ago, 1webslinger said:
12 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

Oh yeah , I've seen some insane collections, and they just go after the Spiderman stuff

Absolutely. There are collectors that collect literally everything about their favorite characters and comics are just a small portion of it.

Curious what you AF #15 collectors think - what CGC grade should an unread otherwise 9.4 - 9.6 AF #15 get when it's only material flaw is pretty severe marvel chipping on front cover (none on back cover)? - literally if you cover 3/16th's of an inch of the right edge it looks like the 9.6 copy that sold a few years back for $1.1M (back cover looks like 9.6 without the edge covered).

I ask because I have a copy graded back in 2002 or so that is as described and was graded 7.5 - marvel chipping bothers me as much as the next guy, but it was the highest graded unrestored copy I could afford.

I have seen people on the chat boards say that CGC grades chipped books as if the chips were not there - I have proof that this is not the case.

I will add a scan of it soon.

45 minutes ago, comicjel said:

Curious what you AF #15 collectors think - what CGC grade should an unread otherwise 9.4 - 9.6 AF #15 get when it's only material flaw is pretty severe marvel chipping on front cover (none on back cover)? - literally if you cover 3/16th's of an inch of the right edge it looks like the 9.6 copy that sold a few years back for $1.1M (back cover looks like 9.6 without the edge covered).

I ask because I have a copy graded back in 2002 or so that is as described and was graded 7.5 - marvel chipping bothers me as much as the next guy, but it was the highest graded unrestored copy I could afford.

I have seen people on the chat boards say that CGC grades chipped books as if the chips were not there - I have proof that this is not the case.

This is not true from my understanding from people who have chipped copies.   CGC does take away from the grade if a book has marvel chipping, but it isn't significant compared to a stain, actual piece missing, etc.  That statement would be true though if it were tape.  if a piece of tape was placed on a book to secure both covers together, CGC would grade the book as if the tape wasn't there at all, which would be completely detached and split.  Have you ever seen a book grade higher than a 7.5 with marvel chipping?

16 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

This is not true from my understanding from people who have chipped copies.   CGC does take away from the grade if a book has marvel chipping, but it isn't significant compared to a stain, actual piece missing, etc.  That statement would be true though if it were tape.  if a piece of tape was placed on a book to secure both covers together, CGC would grade the book as if the tape wasn't there at all, which would be completely detached and split.  Have you ever seen a book grade higher than a 7.5 with marvel chipping?

He did say the Marvel chipping was SEVERE. I agree that CGC does not hammer light chipping but they don't ignore them either. I think they would degrade according to the severity. 

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

I've seen AF15s with severe chipping grade as high as 6.5. I personally think severe marvel chipping should put a ceiling grade of 5.0.

2 hours ago, Primetime said:

I've seen AF15s with severe chipping grade as high as 6.5. I personally think severe marvel chipping should put a ceiling grade of 5.0.

it should be 4.0. How can a book be anything but "average" if huge chunks of it have just fallen off from wear?

58 minutes ago, comicjel said:

If there were no chipping at all that looks more like an 8.0 to me so it seems the deduction for the chipping is nominal.  

40 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

it should be 4.0. How can a book be anything but "average" if huge chunks of it have just fallen off from wear?

It’s not “wear”. Marvel chipping is a manufacturing defect caused by cheap paper and dull blades used to cut the paper. Most chipping was already present before the book was even on the newsstand. 

Edited by Primetime

1 hour ago, comicjel said:

For the record, I've seen much more severe marvel chipping than this.  It really is a beautiful copy. 

Now that I see the scan of the back cover, the dust shadow is more pronounced than I remember the last time I pulled it out.  I will say the top of the cover that looks color broken is not, it is just scanner glare from the cover overhang bending a little and other than the spine corner is a lot nicer than the scan makes it look.

But I here you guys, sounds like 7.5 may be a generous grade for this book.

Nice spines have always been the characteristic that I look for most, and this one is pretty strong for a dark cover like this.

2 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

For the record, I've seen much more severe marvel chipping than this.  It really is a beautiful copy. 

3 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

Thanks Scooter99!!

6 hours ago, comicjel said:

It all depends on how severe the defect is and what the rest of the book is like. No way to tell without knowing both.

2 hours ago, comicjel said:

That is not 'severe'. I was picturing a book where the entire right edge of the cover was missing.

That amount of chipping is about consistent with the grade given. There can be some subjectivity and variance but that book is definitely nicer than a 6.0 or 6.5 IMO.

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

If there were no chipping at all that looks more like an 8.0 to me so it seems the deduction for the chipping is nominal.  

I didn't look at the book closely but it certainly didn't look 9.4 / 9.6 without the chipping.