• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, zhamlau said:

6. 3.0 at 17k makes sense. Chipped up and a wear spot on on the cover with average for grade PQ. Its actually a strong price considering it was low end 3.0

Thanks - this lifted my spirits a little bit after finishing as the under bidder.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:19 AM, zhamlau said:

Overall I think the AF15 prices in CL were decent when you look at what was sold.

1. The 9.0 seems in line with the last recorded 9.0 of 395k. 20k bump after a year makes sense. Maybe like 5% off full market but this isn't a stock its a bid on a rare item, you cant track it to the penny (at least I cant).

2. The 7.0 is about 15% higher at 110k  then the last recorded sale 3 months ago. I know a few have moved hands privately but in public auctions this seems like a strong price.

3. The 6.5 voldy just proves again people are shying away from this company. Badly centered or not that book came in like 5-10k light. I bet whoever buys it is gonna crack and ccs press and regrade in hopes of getting a 6.5 CGC, or worse case a 6.0 and at least get out of the lesser respected case.

4.  7.5 restored, 'meh' its a shoot on those anyway

5. 5.0 was chipped and below average PQ, doing 34k seems right to me based on past sales.  it should have been on the lower scale from last year and it was. Price moved up a LOT in the last 12 months. It leveled off and stabilized after the mania subsided. This seems like the new norm for chipped above average pricing.

6. 3.0 at 17k makes sense. Chipped up and a wear spot on on the cover with average for grade PQ. Its actually a strong price considering it was low end 3.0

7.  2.5 SS with Tan pages and Tape for 14k seems exactly right for this. No chips, but everything else not great.

8. 2.0 UK for 8200 seemed low. No chipping, good PQ and it overall looked nice for a 2.0 It just looked very nice for the grade. Had this been a US version Honestly I think it would be a great copy for a collection. I think to many copies up for sale hurt this.

9. 1.8 for 11.5k was a very strong sale, Think that's a public auction record? I know the cover had all those cracks and it had tape on the interior but it just looked better so i guess it makes sense.

Prices all made sense and seemed strong overall. I really think the trend of "going up as we get to summer" makes sense. Prices just seem to rise the closer we get to summer and convention season. Nothing about this auction struck me as crazy low or high in terms of AF15. Looks stable, stable is good.

Great analysis.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1962-SILVER-AGE-AMAZING-FANTASY-15-CGC-6-5-UNIVERSAL-KEY-1ST-SPIDER-MAN-OW/253496483977?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&redirect=mobile

It's not everyday we see this high of a grade offered on eBay in a legit no reserve auction.  

-J.

31 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1962-SILVER-AGE-AMAZING-FANTASY-15-CGC-6-5-UNIVERSAL-KEY-1ST-SPIDER-MAN-OW/253496483977?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&redirect=mobile

It's not everyday we see this high of a grade offered on eBay in a legit no reserve auction.  

-J.

We knew you would Jaydog. :baiting:

Amazing to see the number watchers & bidders on an AF15. Probably the most of any collectible on ebay. And still 6 days to go.

This book is on another planet for sure.

18 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

We knew you would Jaydog. :baiting:

Amazing to see the number watchers & bidders on an AF15. Probably the most of any collectible on ebay. And still 6 days to go.

This book is on another planet for sure.

Somebody has to represent for the 6.5-ers.  :blush:

-J.

22 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

Regarding the bidding, it looks like nearly all the bids are from two distinct bidders. 

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

165 bids in under 3 days :insane:

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 minute ago, Callaway29 said:

Hmmm, so someone created an account JUST to bid on this item. Could be legit...but smells like shill...

I'm not suggesting shill bidding here. Actually, I think the bidding so far is real. However, getting excited about the number of bids on this book is not relative. You have a couple of bidders inching up the ladder, min bids one at a time, trying to find the specific high without going over too much. Not a lot of real action, just a lot of single bids.

3 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Hmmm, so someone created an account JUST to bid on this item. Could be legit...but smells like shill...

the alleged shill account has got a 95 feedback rating. and the info we are given is only a 30 day summary, right? its not a long term picture of who's auctions he's bid on. he could be legit. or he could be a shill account that's been established for awhile now. ebay def doesnt care about shill accounts in either case, as they've proven time and time again. all they care about is getting their fees. 

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The one high bidder alone shows these stats...

30-Day Summary  Total bids:32  Items bid on:1  Bid activity (%) with this seller:100%

My personal opinion?

When an auction is within the upper percentile of it's full market value (in this case the book is north of 80% of it's market value) AND there is abnormal activity, then there is a very likely chance of shill bidding.

When I auction my books they don't peak until the last few minutes of the auction ending, regardless of the book being offered.

A book peaking in the open days of the auction is always suspect to me.

3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

My personal opinion?

When an auction is within the upper percentile of it's full market value (in this case the book is north of 80% of it's market value) AND there is abnormal activity, then there is a very likely chance of shill bidding.

When I auction my books they don't peak until the last few minutes of the auction ending, regardless of the book being offered.

I agree. It's a moot point about the bidding right now. The final outcome will be minutes away from auction end.

14 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

My personal opinion?

+1