• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

It strikes me that the AF15 had a surge back in 2017 in Sept when I sold mine. Some are reported in the data, some aren't Mine wasn't and it was sold through a private dealer who doesn't gain any benefit  from folks knowing how he runs his business. But, suffice it to say that the Price on a 5.0 was going around 55k i( A real shock) n  a number of transactions and then , briefly the market got flooded and the price fell away to 36K, a disappointment I'm sure. Since then, it flutters but does not surge in the 5.0 range.

There's something worth remembering in the viewing of a CGC slab when you talk about chipping blah blah blah. The front and back covers are only part of the story. Content matters beyond those covers. Graders notes are handy, but sparse. One of the real troubles with buying and selling the book based on its CGC grade is that you don't get to look inside.  I have always thought that the artwork for the AF15 was terrible given the talents that were out there who could have drawn the story. I'll never know what the real commitment that Marvel AKA Stan Lee had to the notion of radio active spiders. It did take nine months to go from AF15 to ASM 1. I view that as a long time in the world of comics. 

It's not a rare book which is part of the strange reaction to the comic. It's the first is all. It's just that everyone thinks you're nobody if you don't own one of the 10,000 or so that apparently are out there. I had it, I sold it. I get more enjoyment reading about Pence variants in Charleston.  There are seriously rare books over there. Pure trash, but far more  rare. 

7 hours ago, NoMan said:
8 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Also ComicLink

Thanks. I looked. Do they have a history function. Do you remember what it sold for? I gotta write these sales down so as I can remeber.

Don't you absolutely hate it that CL has no historical archives like Heritage or at least even email messages like CC whereby you can do your due diligence and search for past sales.  :censored:

7 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Guess everyone missed this sale ...

AF15 8.0@ 218K

ComicLink took down the listing ( makes sense so as not to influence second auction )

Why, was the $218K figure for the earlier sale deemed to be a lower than normal price for a CGC 8.0 graded copy of AF 15?  (shrug)

I noticed that these auction houses seems to have no problems "boasting" about previous sales when they are deemed to be on the high side, as evident from this listing for Blue Beetle 52 that finished last night at $3,900:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FDEFAULT.ASP%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D47%26x%3D44%26y%3D13%23Item_1275213&id=1275213&itemType=0

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Don't you absolutely hate it that CL has no historical archives like Heritage or at least even email messages like CC whereby you can do your due diligence and search for past sales.  :censored:

But I think they actually do retain historical archives, not forever like HA, but for at least a year or more. The books move from the auction category to the Exchange. In this specific situation, there was a Reserve. Maybe it was not met. Or maybe the buyer specifically requested it be taken down because he is going to immediately relist it. Or maybe Clink themselves bought it. (shrug)

7 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Guess everyone missed this sale ...

AF15 8.0@ 218K

ComicLink took down the listing ( makes sense so as not to influence second auction )

The sale on 2/11/18 is a Comiclink Exchange sale not auction format. It was a high price then for an 8.0 pre-marvel chipping copy. :wink:

41 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Why, was the $218K figure for the earlier sale deemed to be a lower than normal price for a CGC 8.0 graded copy of AF 15?  (shrug)

I noticed that these auction houses seems to have no problems "boasting" about previous sales when they are deemed to be on the high side, as evident from this listing for Blue Beetle 52 that finished last night at $3,900:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FDEFAULT.ASP%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D47%26x%3D44%26y%3D13%23Item_1275213&id=1275213&itemType=0

The AF15 8.0 SS sold on ComicConnect for 222K in late summer, so the 8.0 (pre-marvel chip) copy did quite well at 210K. Books like Blue Beetle 52 can be a hit or miss and quite volatile up or down depending on timing. 

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

yeah thats inexcusable. i've actually been keeping screen shots of books i'm interested on on comiclink for a couple years now, since they can't be bothered. 

I’m the new guy that picked up the af15 3.0 on CL.  I was thinking i got a fair deal.  I too was surprised by the 5 and 3.5.   I was also the guy who pished the price on the 3.5 to 20k something.....it could have gone for less.  Imho, i dont think there were bidders.......... i’ll send picks when i recv the book.  Still a little sad I didn’t het the 3.5.  But 3 looks nice.  Hate the tape, but you guys think its a fair deal?  Btw,  i dont intend on ever selling anyway.  Its the best of my small collection.

13 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Certainly is! I expected at least $45k for that one. Definitely a great time to buy during this time of year. Not at all surprised as trends have been this way for years now.