• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

I'm feeling very sad reading one of my favorite threads. I used to look forward to reading new posts here and now I find myself cringing. Not sure I need to know who is watching what movie with their niece or who will leave what to who. I'm pretty sure these "important" details would be better suited in the journal section.

Sorry about that will not happen again. But please tell me what exactly you miss so we can get back to do that.....examples always help.

Edited by SupergirlDC19591

Has anyone ever seen original art of AF15 ever?

does it exist?

How freaking cool would it be to own even 1 page of original art from that book

OMG can't even imagine what even a page would go for .....

19 minutes ago, fishbone said:

Has anyone ever seen original art of AF15 ever?

does it exist?

How freaking cool would it be to own even 1 page of original art from that book

OMG can't even imagine what even a page would go for .....

Library of congress has the OA pages to AF15. 

6 minutes ago, Spiderphill said:

Donor

An anonymous one at that. Who is it? Maybe the art was sitten' in that warehouse Marvel had in a scary part of town that was categorized in the 70s and came from there. But who took it from there?

13 minutes ago, comicquant said:

3 minutes ago, NoMan said:

THey must have the whole book as the Mummy story is there. Odd. I so wanna know the circumstances of how they got it.

Here is a little bit about the donation...  A huge guess, but the previous owner wanted to remain anonymous which sounds like something Ditko would do.  He does everything he can to stay out of the story.

https://www.loc.gov/item/prn-08-089/library-of-congress-receives-original-drawings-for-the-first-spider-man-story-amazing-fantasy-15/2008-04-30/

Just now, NoMan said:

An anonymous one at that. Who is it? Maybe the art was sitten' in that warehouse Marvel had in a scary part of town that was categorized in the 70s and came from there. But who took it from there?

I believe the "story" is somewhere along the lines of an employee(janitor?), took a ton of OA(complete books), and sold them. Don't hold me to it though, I remember it vaguely from a thread and I'm unsure if the af15 was in there. 

8 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Here is a little bit about the donation...  A huge guess, but the previous owner wanted to remain anonymous which sounds like something Ditko would do.  He does everything he can to stay out of the story.

https://www.loc.gov/item/prn-08-089/library-of-congress-receives-original-drawings-for-the-first-spider-man-story-amazing-fantasy-15/2008-04-30/

I'm gonna write him a letter and ask, throw in a little Ayn Rand and see what happens!

6 minutes ago, Spiderphill said:

I believe the "story" is somewhere along the lines of an employee(janitor?), took a ton of OA(complete books), and sold them. Don't hold me to it though, I remember it vaguely from a thread and I'm unsure if the af15 was in there. 

If you're recalling the Comics Journal article about Marvel's missing art, I don't remember a Janitor or employee taking any or, heck, I can't remember yesterday. Somebody took some.

32 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I have talked to some comic artists who have worked with Ditko and believe that he was given back the art by Marvel and then proceeded to donate it to the Library of Congress. Unfortunately it is only speculation and no one knows for sure. 

Edited by Captain Canuck

On 3/21/2017 at 2:10 PM, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Are you saying my CGC 6.5 is worth 30% less?

Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 6.5 Front.jpg

Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 6.5 Back.jpg

I think your book is a perfect example of the fundamental change we're seeing in the demand and pricing of SA Marvels.  In the past this book would have been much more desirable than the 5.0 that sold for $57K.  It has a strong spine, crisp center image and clean back cover - and the Marvel chipping would, for the most part, be ignored by most potential buyers.  The "structure" is exceptional.  Unfortunately the chipping is not attractive, especially the nick at the top, and this detracts from the QP.  Just as the 5.0 bidders ignored the BC damage, they will ignore how beautiful this back cover is if you were to sell it.  I'm not sure what I'm describing is "fair" but quality of presentation of the front cover seems to trump all for SA keys in today's hobby.  Of course the number on the front will be the overriding factor, but for the foreseeable future books with Marvel chipping will get hammered.

1 hour ago, Moondog said:

I think your book is a perfect example of the fundamental change we're seeing in the demand and pricing of SA Marvels.  In the past this book would have been much more desirable than the 5.0 that sold for $57K.  It has a strong spine, crisp center image and clean back cover - and the Marvel chipping would, for the most part, be ignored by most potential buyers.  The "structure" is exceptional.  Unfortunately the chipping is not attractive, especially the nick at the top, and this detracts from the QP.  Just as the 5.0 bidders ignored the BC damage, they will ignore how beautiful this back cover is if you were to sell it.  I'm not sure what I'm describing is "fair" but quality of presentation of the front cover seems to trump all for SA keys in today's hobby.  Of course the number on the front will be the overriding factor, but for the foreseeable future books with Marvel chipping will get hammered.

What's your guess then as far a current value compared to say a 6.5 with no issues? 6.5's are 6.5's for a reason they can't be perfect hence why they grade as they do. I already know what G.A.tor thinks (we spoke threw PM) but would interested your in opinion as well.

By the way it's been in the same CGC holder since 2004 and based on the CGC grader's notes nothing has changed since then.

Maybe it would be best to talk about this in the other thread I started to give people here a break about talking values for AF15's.

Edited by SupergirlDC19591

6 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

What's your guess then as far a current value compared to say a 6.5 with no issues? 6.5's are 6.5's for a reason they can't be perfect hence why they grade as they do. I already know what G.A.tor thinks (we spoke threw PM) but would interested your opinion as well.

Prior to all the craziness of the past few months I would have thought $50,000 or so.  Now $65,000?  Things are just so volatile it's hard to say.

1 hour ago, Moondog said:

Prior to all the craziness of the past few months I would have thought $50,000 or so.  Now $65,000?  Things are just so volatile it's hard to say.

Well 65 000$ it not to shabby considering I paid 35 000$ about a year ago. Thanks for your input much appreciated!!

On 3/16/2017 at 7:27 AM, Jordysnordy said:

At the rate AF 15 increases in value, if you can buy one at FMV and have 6 months to pay for it at zero interest, once it's paid off you can probably flip it for an immediate profit so maybe this isn't such a bad strategy at all.

No that would be called a market bubble.

That would collapse the hobby.

On 3/22/2017 at 8:37 PM, Guardian Comics said:

I gotta agree, such a strange fascination with safety deposit boxes and even moreso telling us about it.  Just get your books properly insured and then leave them anywhere you want in your house.

Of course if theft is a genuine concern/worry of yours, you might be better off using the proceeds off of the sale of said books and moving to a better neighbourhood.  

But Jimbo then one can't feel like James Bond or Jason Bourne, duh. :baiting: