• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ProcessedMeatMan said:

Swamp Thing #1 - 8.0 to 8.5

Tales of Suspense #52 - 5.0 to 5.5

Tales of Suspense #57 - 5.0 to 5.5

Daredevil #158 - 9.0 to 9.6 (This one was pressed, so bit of a skew here)

Amazing Spider-Man #238 - 9.2 to 9.6

Marvel Super-Heroes #13 - 7.0 to 7.5

These aren't exactly mind-blowing differences in grades, but they signal to me that the grades are very close in general and likely within the margin of error. I don't know what happened with ASM 238, but I'm not complaining.

I also have an Avengers 4, ASM 6 and 15 that are former CBCS books being pressed and resubmitted. No idea how those will turn out. 

The 4x .5 differences between the companies doesn't hurt my brain, but the fact that they all went up .5 when sub'd to CGC is interesting.

The ASM 238 though... that's quite a difference from a NM- to a NM+.

Edited by bringsenseback

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

From the serial number on the TOS 52, looks like that book was graded on February 2 of 2017.  Looks like he got the ST 1 and the TOS 57 plus a few other books graded on the same day.  :gossip:

Not sure about books from other ages such as the ones listed here, but it would appear that GA books graded in the early part of 2017 appears to be graded a bit looser than the extreme tight grading which they endured in the summer and fall months of 2016. 

haha they were! I also had a Hulk 1 graded during the same period that was graded very generously, in my opinion. Maybe that has more to do with it than anything. 

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, I was confused by his later statement that it was the presser at CGC that cracked out the books for him.

I guess somebody at CGC has to do it for the client, so I guess the presser would have more expertise than anybody else.  (thumbsu

brain fart on my part. I meant submitter, not presser. I submitted through a local comic shop until last month when I just went ahead and got my own account. 

I experimented with cracking the ToS 52 myself and ended up gouging my kitchen table with a screwdriver. I've since figured out how to do it and cracked my Avengers 4, ASM 6 and 15 myself with no issues. 

Edited by ProcessedMeatMan

2 minutes ago, Spyderfan said:

What's the grade on the Avengers 4 before pressing and resub?

Being pressed now, so I won't know what it ends up being for about a month or so I would imagine. It was a CBCS 6.5. I'm just hoping it stays at least a 6.5... I'm not expecting miracles lol

12 minutes ago, ProcessedMeatMan said:

brain fart on my part. I meant submitter, not presser. I submitted through a local comic shop until last month when I just went ahead and got my own account. 

I experimented with cracking the ToS 52 myself and ended up gouging my kitchen table with a screwdriver. I've since figured out how to do it and cracked my Avengers 4, ASM 6 and 15 myself with no issues. 

Thus, our hobby can actually be dangerous. We're kinda bad boys (and girls) who like to live dangerously.

19 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Yup.

I can't believe he got Rick to drop discussing with him. I'm one thing. Rick? That's another whole ball of wax. :$

Gator wax! Man, you should see what they do with that stuff in the South! :whatthe:

Edited by Sqeggs

Well guess I was correct they eliminated the bidder with a 1 rating after all. So much for trusting new Ebay accounts bidding on such a expensive item......and oh yeah PQ is extremely important in deciding between buying a book or not for me.....the only top key SA books I have no issue with them having cream to off-white pages are the DC books such as SC4, SC22, BB28, Action Comics 252 and so on. I would not buy such books with only cream pages to many option out there to simply jump on the 1st few books I see. Now back to my break from this forum.

http://offer.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=382018222798&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2765

On March 31, 2017 at 0:34 AM, Jaydogrules said:

:gossip:Publicly available sales data says it, including a litany of sales of this book that literally just happened.   

-J.

My questions to you were larger questions--based on your matter-of-fact proclamation--and you missed that. As smart as you seem, you might be missing a lot. And it might have little to nothing to do with funny books. :gossip:

21 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

Wow, that really is!  And, its for sale by Dolgoff so you know you're buying safely.  Storms also just put a 4.0 OW up tonight but won't have the scan up until Sunday or Monday.  The description says "no marvel chipping" so it sounds like a nice copy.

http://highgradecomics.com/article.php?dynamic=search_results&quick_search=amazing+fantasy+15&submit_search.x=0&submit_search.y=0&submit_search=submitname

Edited by comicquant

2 hours ago, comicquant said:
2 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

Wow, that really is!  

Am I missing something or has CGC's grading changed significantly from how they were grading books back in the summer and fall of 2016?  Sure looks like a ton of wear along the spine and the upper edge from what I am looking at.   ???

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Am I missing something or has CGC's grading changed significantly from how they were grading books back in the summer and fall of 2016?  Sure looks like a ton of wear along the spine and the upper edge from what I am looking at.   ???

It's graded VG.  Seems about right to me, so long as there are no significant tears in the cover.

Edited by namisgr

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

It's graded VG.  Seems about right to me, so long as there are no significant tears in the cover.

Agreed, it's a solid VG and could have easily been a 4.5 were it not for the tape.

Personally, I think this "CGC was tougher in the Spring of 2008...and the Fall of 2011...and early 2016...etc." is make-believe, they've been consistently inconsistent since day 1. Reminds me of the old Steve Martin routine where he "...only smoked pot in the evening...or sometimes in the early evening...or sometimes in the later afternoon..." :insane:

4 hours ago, namisgr said:
8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, these 2 books were graded only as G/VG copies back in the summer of 2016 and clearly looks superior with a lot less wear on the cover as compared to Dolgoff's 4.0 graded copy of AF 15, although they do also appear to have a tape issue:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=684452&title=DETECTIVECOMICS

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=676931&title=DETECTIVECOMICS

Looks like both of these books ended up selling for more than double their current market value on a price per point basis.  Wonder if this was due in large part to the fact that both of them appear to present much better than their assigned grades from a strict visual eye appeal point of view.  hm

2 hours ago, drbanner said:

Agreed, it's a solid VG and could have easily been a 4.5 were it not for the tape.

Well, there's no tape on this copy and it was graded as a CGC 4.5 back in 2002, but sure appears much nicer than the CGC 4.0 copy from Dolgoff:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=689896&title=AMAZINGFANTASY

I guess maybe that's why it sold for $20K+ more than what Dolgoff is asking for his 4.0 graded copy.  (shrug)

29 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, these 2 books were graded only as G/VG copies back in the summer of 2016 and clearly looks superior with a lot less wear on the cover as compared to Dolgoff's 4.0 graded copy of AF 15, although they do also appear to have a tape issue:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=684452&title=DETECTIVECOMICS

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=676931&title=DETECTIVECOMICS

Looks like both of these books ended up selling for more than double their current market value on a price per point basis.  Wonder if this was due in large part to the fact that both of them appear to present much better than their assigned grades from a strict visual eye appeal point of view.  hm

Well, there's no tape on this copy and it was graded as a CGC 4.5 back in 2002, but sure appears much nicer than the CGC 4.0 copy from Dolgoff:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=689896&title=AMAZINGFANTASY

I guess maybe that's why it sold for $20K+ more than what Dolgoff is asking for his 4.0 graded copy.  (shrug)

The Detectives you linked have large split spines.  I don't see how their grades and realized sale prices are in any way relevant to the validity of grading that copy of AF15 a 4.0.

38 minutes ago, namisgr said:

The Detectives you linked have large split spines.  I don't see how their grades and realized sale prices are in any way relevant to the validity of grading that copy of AF15 a 4.0.

Just trying to compare them from a grading point of view is all.

Don't believe there is an actual spine split on the 'Tec 29, just a lot of spine wear, though less spine ticks/stress than what is showing up on the AF 15.  Main issue appears to be the subscription crease.

As for the 'Tec 38, there is a spine split, but only a small one at just the top of the spine, with possible small cracks in a couple of other spots along the spine as opposed to a full split that has gone right through to the interior pages.

Either way, I am sure the bidders must have purchased the Grading Notes for these kinds of books or seen them in person when it comes to these bigger dollar purchases  hm

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

As a general rule, you can't put a floor on the grade of a book from viewing a scan, but you can put a ceiling. :foryou: