How much of a premium are we talking for newsstand issues v/s direct editions?
10 10

1,103 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Nice find.   And yes, the 4th printing has newsstand variants (one with newsstand sticker, and one with bar code similar to the one you showed above.   1st and 2nd printings also have newsstand variants (the 2nd printing  newsstand has only been found with the sticker) 

Yes here is a group shot of most. Only missing the 1st,4th stickered and millennium edition newsstand .  Although I do have these as well this was just a picture of a set I sold a few months back as they were extras. 

20200603_022959.thumb.jpg.7c9c11dca0d6039dd8a015ac80c02e96.jpg

Now as for Premium over Direct it can really vary by condition,  how many bidders if auctioned , and other factors.  Still  for the most part of these Newsstand and Direct editions the 3rd print regular printed UPC does seem to command the most of them but that again can vary on occasions as there have been times the Second Print Stickered has also brought a decent premium,  think mainly due to completist looking for barcode sets. Other than me and Kirk really haven't found as many really looking for these stickered upc editions so they have seemed to just not get as much attention. Although I have always liked them as they are part of the supply , demand , distribution story of the height of comic boom at the time. Even these still are only a portion of the #75's as there were still bagged, platinum, foreign,  and other reprints( which that millennium falls into as well , that was just an extra I threw in on the lot of extras) just to show the remaining of these minus bagged, platinum,  and foreign. 20200603_025800.thumb.jpg.20d3d9d7a31aadb647d8620b619498b7.jpg20200603_025617.thumb.jpg.6f7d5226007c24bf55c2eacdc549d785.jpg20200603_025651.thumb.jpg.3db7a3b3128fcd5839c07b7fe64534af.jpg20200603_025634.thumb.jpg.1482c042c64870d62ef99b324bce5e9d.jpg

Still the Newsstand on these as a whole do command a little premium. The third print printed UPC always holds a special place in my heart as I remember buying those on the shelves in packs at the local Walden Book stores

20190823_031803.thumb.jpg.8e2631ce747b69c48c82382395ebb882.jpg20190823_031814.thumb.jpg.c3c3eadba9eaf6f2c6c70e5e82a38761.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2020 at 4:14 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

The third print printed UPC always holds a special place in my heart as I remember buying those on the shelves in packs at the local Walden Book stores

20190823_031803.thumb.jpg.8e2631ce747b69c48c82382395ebb882.jpg

@onlyweaknesskryptonite, I love that you found that Waldenbooks pack, and that you were the original owner.  I've often wondered if those 2nd, 3rd, and 4th printings really went to the newsstand, or were sold through some other venue.

My experience with newsstands has been to pay a premium to friends and dealers just to compensate them for taking the extra time to look out for the ones on my want list and send them to me. 

It is interesting to me that some of the Millennium newsstand issues were harder to find, especially when the newsstand bar code is hiding on the back cover, as is the case with Superman 1. 

1680936136_superman1millenniumnewsstandfront.thumb.jpg.ff63e8e23e7573eed3fd40f400d82f50.jpg

1917740733_superman1millenniumnewsstandback.thumb.jpg.5a89fb60cb8b093d781b47aa247fba85.jpg

Those Millennium editions were produced in the summer of 2000, which is around the time when newsstand issues start getting harder to find.  I've looked for 8+ years and never yet found newsstand variants of the Millennium versions Action Comics 252 and Justice League 1 (to give you some idea of the premium for the newsstand variant of these issues, I would gladly pay $50 to anyone who could find and sell me a copy).  Following is an image of the direct sales version of the Action 252 Millennium variant.

778571122_action252millenniumdirect.thumb.jpg.510272d908ea49c88c0cfbfac96cb031.jpg

 

Edited by Cpt Kirk
Link to post
Share on other sites

p.s.  I've seen several JLA #1 Millennium edition comic books with newsstand stickers (placed over the direct sales labels).  See photo below for example.   But I have never seen a JLA #1 Millennium edition with the newsstand bar code printed directly onto the comic book.   That makes me think that some of these Millennium editions like Action 252, Justice League #1, and JLA #1 were never printed in the newsstand format (or had a very limited print run in newsstand format).

713910000_JLA1withnewsstandsticker.thumb.jpg.4875ba8f505a3829498dd2eb6c3fae56.jpg

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2020 at 10:06 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

2000, which is around the time when newsstand issues start getting harder to find

People keep claiming this, but is there really anything special about the year 2000 that accelerated the long, slow death of newsstand comics?

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, inconceivable said:

I had to drag myself out of the Lazarus pit to laugh at this one.

Dan

Glad even the dark version from the depths of the Lazarus Pit still laughed at that one.. SoulfulImmediateHellbender-max-1mb.gif.8471f4f70bf4d0be3fba04ec967e15aa.gif

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

People keep claiming this, but is there really anything special about the year 2000 that accelerated the long, slow death of newsstand comics?

The numbers out there aren’t exact and the percentages were just estimates by people in the industry. In my experience post 2000 newsstands are quite difficult to find in most cases let alone in high grades. I know in my area in the 80-90’s you could buy comics everywhere. Drug Stores, Gas Stations, Grocery Stores, Department Stores, Actual Newsstands, etc. were all places you could find them.  There must’ve been at least 12-20 stores during that time where I could purchase comics. The only place to buy them around or just after 2000 was Borders. That’s just my area but I’m sure it was similar across the country. 

Edited by Corona smith
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Corona smith said:

The numbers out there aren’t exact and the percentages were just estimates by people in the industry. In my experience post 2000 newsstands are quite difficult to find in most cases let alone in high grades. I know in my area in the 80-90’s you could buy comics everywhere. Drug Stores, Gas Stations, Grocery Stores, Department Stores, Actual Newsstands, etc. were all places you could find them.  There must’ve been at least 12-20 stores during that time where I could purchase comics. The only place to buy them around or just after 2000 was Borders. That’s just my area but I’m sure it was similar across the country. 

I can second this.  In the Cincinnati area, specifically the neighborhood where I grew up, my friends and I would walk to Kroger, to Walgreens, to K-Mart, to the gas station to pick up the issues because we never had a reliable way to a comic shop.  There were a few comic shops, but getting someone's parents to drive you there required some groveling, because the stores weren't right just down the street.  When I was able to drive, I wasn't buying too many comics at that time, and I may have still had subscriptions from Marvel.  I do remember going to the LCS to buy Ennis' Punisher maxi series.  I would still buy books off the newsstand at Media Play, Waldenbooks, or whichever other types of bookstores were still around.  The Waldenbooks closed sometime after 2009 (it's an Urgent Care facility now), so that was the last I can think of off the type of my head.  There is a Barnes and Noble somewhere in the area.  The grocery stores and pharmacies in the area stopped stocking comics some time in the 2000s.  I know because I would walk through the books and magazine section and the comics were all gone.  There were plenty of places to buy them in the 90s when I was a kid, but it really dried up in the 2000s.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2020 at 11:41 PM, Lazyboy said:

People keep claiming this, but is there really anything special about the year 2000 that accelerated the long, slow death of newsstand comics?

Nothing special about the year 2000, except that it was roughly the time that newsstands and bookstores started going out of business (maybe due to the internet).   But newsstand issues from the year 2000 still aren't too hard to find in my opinion.  But after the big run of closures of Waldenbooks around 2002/2003, some of those newsstand issues start to get hard to find.   I've managed to find them all in the titles I collect (Batman, Detective, Superman and Action), but the ones that came into the collection last were from roughly 2002 thru 2011.  I have a friend who has been looking for years and has not found some issues of Detective Comics from 2003 thru 2011 (Detective tends to be a little tougher than Batman because the newsstands usually didn't order as many Detectives as Batman comics -- I've seen that data with my own eyeballs, and also experienced it first hand at the newsstands).

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Nothing special about the year 2000, except that it was roughly the time that newsstands and bookstores started going out of business (maybe due to the internet).   But newsstand issues from the year 2000 still aren't too hard to find in my opinion.  But after the big run of closures of Waldenbooks around 2002/2003, some of those newsstand issues start to get hard to find.   I've managed to find them all in the titles I collect (Batman, Detective, Superman and Action), but the ones that came into the collection last were from roughly 2002 thru 2011.  I have a friend who has been looking for years and has not found some issues of Detective Comics from 2003 thru 2011 (Detective tends to be a little tougher than Batman because the newsstands usually didn't order as many Detectives as Batman comics -- I've seen that data with my own eyeballs, and also experienced it first hand at the newsstands).

I concur. The demise of newsstands definitely didn't help either. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing most of the newsstand books from the mid 2000s on that were printed ended up destroyed anyway.

I worked in the magazine department at a large Barnes and Noble in 2006 and my job was restocking magazines and the stripping the covers off unsold copies to return for a refund. That included comics, as newsstand versions were still returnable, unlike direct editions. I know at my location over the several months I did this we sold very few comics; probably 80-90% of our comics went unsold and were destroyed by me personally. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
10 10