• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clink!

113 posts in this topic

There is already some pretty wild "price discovery" going on with Clink tonight an hour before the auction starts to close. Almost 23k for the Xmen 114 page and over 10k for the Starlin Warlock page! Does anyone really think that the Guardians of the Galaxy movie will have any long lasting effect on the pricing of Gamorra art? Oh, and a Ploog Marvel premier cover that's floated around for quite a while is at 14k plus! That's strong. Lots of interesting stuff.

Scott

3 for 3 !!!

psyched

Got what I wanted for 1/3 what I would have paid

an emotional purchase!

congrats!!

As usual stuff I seem to like but no one else does!

Brent Anderson Kazar Cover hm

I was guessing the same thing. lol

:acclaim:

Kazar4Cover_zpsb1f99d32.jpg

Does anyone really think that the Guardians of the Galaxy movie will have any long lasting effect on the pricing of Gamorra art? Scott

Personally, if I had to guess, I think the Guardians of the Galaxy movie won't move the needle on any of the art that previously held little value nor interest for the long haul.

Historically, good art will stand on it's own merits such as for The Watchmen and V for Vendetta.

I think the "helped by hype" type art like The Walking Dead might have potential for weakness, but at the same time the comic is a truly good read, so may not be influenced by the eventual demise of the TV show, as most TV series end up jumping the shark, losing popularity and getting canceled. So, I can see that as a coin flip.

I think no matter what regardless of the Guardians film, certain characters by certain artists will retain their value and increase.

Rocket Raccoon by Mike Mignola

Star Lord by John Byrne

Gamorra by Jim Starlin

Drax the Destroyer by Jim Starlin

Nebula by John Buscema

Groot by Jack Kirby

Ronan by Kirby, Adams or Buscema

If I had to bet and speculate, I'd think anyone hording GOTG character artwork that is more current by lesser known name artists might be buying on the high end of a bubble that can burst. I think, but maybe I'm wrong, the artwork for "Wanted" and "Scott Pilgrim" both comic book movies, garnered initial interest and increases in the art, but it wasn't sustainable and many overpaid.

The GOTG movie feels like forced marketing of a bad product to the mainstream. I see this film potentially being relegated within the Marvel universe of filmography as a lower tier effort like Daredevil, Elektra, Ghost Rider, Howard the Duck, The Man-Thing and The Punisher.

Here's some interesting reads about the GOTG

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/02/26/guardians-of-the-galaxy-will-be-a-flop-for-marvel.aspx

http://whatculture.com/film/10-reasons-guardians-galaxy-might-fail.php

3 for 3 !!!

psyched

Got what I wanted for 1/3 what I would have paid

an emotional purchase!

congrats!!

As usual stuff I seem to like but no one else does!

Brent Anderson Kazar Cover hm

I was guessing the same thing. lol

:acclaim:

iwas the under i think the final hammer was a tad under the private ask.

Kazar4Cover_zpsb1f99d32.jpg

The comic link auction is great, the pieces I was considering but went higher than I'd thought were

Gen 13 #13C page by J. Scott Campbell = over $1k. I was contending for this piece, but for an interior page of a title I don't read it was hard to justify buying. Campbell's art is fantastic 'tho.

Tales of the Teen Titans #42 Judas Contract Cover by George Perez = $10k (and not ended yet). It's a nice cover but was surprised it is as high as it is, but it is to me, the greatest Titans story ever told.

Death of Captain Marvel page by Jim Starlin = $4k (and not over yet). This was a great story, so I'm curious if it'll surge with all of the interest in cosmic characters.

Tales of Suspense #64 page w/ Black Widow by Don Heck = nearly $7k (and not over yet). A lot higher than I thought it would go for, I was estimating $3k, but am way off. It's a great page 'tho.

Ultimate Spider-Man #100 cover by Mark Bagley = nearly $4k

Tales to Astonish #44 1st App Wasp page by Jack Kirby = shy of $3k (and not over yet). I'm surprised this isn't going higher.

Grimm Fairy Tales #37 Cover @ $475 not meeting reserve. I'm surprised there's a reserve n this cover and it went for over $300.

The comic link auction is great, the pieces I was considering but went higher than I'd thought were

Gen 13 #13C page by J. Scott Campbell = over $1k. I was contending for this piece, but for an interior page of a title I don't read it was hard to justify buying. Campbell's art is fantastic 'tho.

I won the Campbell Gen 13 piece and it ended right at the top of my range. That Freefall was too nice to pass up. :devil: