• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Spine Realignment Therapy, turn your 8.5's into 9.2's!

3,329 posts in this topic

Plus, let's not lose sight of the real problem. There's pressing and then there's stupidity. Stupidity is what CGC is encouraging, fostering, and displaying in allowing something like that in a blue label. The CGC is the one creating a marketplace where that type of creative manipulation is acceptable. I don't see these type of books jumping off the shelves with that level of eye appeal.

I agree with your comments about CGC, but this book will sell, and the seller will make a handsome profit. Whether it gets standard 9.2 money or not really doesn't matter because the profit is conducive to more of this kind of activity.

What if the book sells for 8.5 money?

It doesn't matter what it sells for. It's a practice that shouldn't be encouraged by the CGC.

But neither should taping with non-archival tape. doh!

No argument there. I hate tape.

+2 this whole thread makes so scared of what the future holds for CGC. Now is the perfect time for CGC to have real competition not PGX BS but a REAL competitor.

I think the big issue isn't for hard core collectors, they see the fanning/miswrap/rolling and wouldn't buy it.

It isn't about one book, or one subset of books, or one type of buyer. It's about how this is yet another blow to buyer confidence in CGC's product, and how that gradually diminishing confidence will affect all the books sitting in holders today.

Maybe. But not many buyers reads these boards. And even of those that do, not all will see this thread. And, who knows, maybe as a result of this thread (and the one in Silver) CGC may become more alert about downgrading books that show these type of nicks on the bc.

That is the point. They won't even have to read the boards, will never have to see the threads. The market capitalization of high grade books just dropped across the board. Unless, this book is an anomaly and was simply graded wrong.

I think the big issue isn't for hard core collectors, they see the fanning/miswrap/rolling and wouldn't buy it.

It isn't about one book, or one subset of books, or one type of buyer. It's about how this is yet another blow to buyer confidence in CGC's product, and how that gradually diminishing confidence will affect all the books sitting in holders today.

Maybe. But not many buyers reads these boards. And even of those that do, not all will see this thread. And, who knows, maybe as a result of this thread (and the one in Silver) CGC may become more alert about downgrading books that show these type of nicks on the bc.

I'm trying to analyze the situation as someone who is in the position of having no stake in graded books. I don't have a crystal ball, and I don't objectively know how good my analysis is. What I do know is that it feels good not to have a stake. This is a great hobby, and one that's easy to enjoy without the gamble. If I have a point, it would be for each person to consider the viewpoints in this thread and decide for themselves where they stand.

Plus, let's not lose sight of the real problem. There's pressing and then there's stupidity. Stupidity is what CGC is encouraging, fostering, and displaying in allowing something like that in a blue label. The CGC is the one creating a marketplace where that type of creative manipulation is acceptable. I don't see these type of books jumping off the shelves with that level of eye appeal.

I agree with your comments about CGC, but this book will sell, and the seller will make a handsome profit. Whether it gets standard 9.2 money or not really doesn't matter because the profit is conducive to more of this kind of activity.

It doesn't matter what it sells for. It's a practice that shouldn't be encouraged by the CGC.

Sure, I wholeheartedly agree.

I just don't think that this particular Frankenbook is going to net the seller any sort of significant profit.

Bet he at least triples his money. We should do a pool

That is the point. They won't even have to read the boards, will never have to see the threads. The market capitalization of high grade books just dropped across the board. Unless, this book is an anomaly and was simply graded wrong.

Why would it be an anomaly?

The multi-year 'dancing around it' period ended with the Schmell mega-payday. Classics Inc was acquired. CCS is a formal part of the 'submission success formula'.

It's on.

The multi-year 'dancing around it' period ended with the Schmell mega-payday. Classics Inc was acquired. CCS is a formal part of the 'submission success formula'.

It's on.

:gossip: I was giving them an out

I think it will. GPA for a 9.2 is 60K. Someone with more money than brains could offer merely half that and the seller will have more than doubled his investment.

This is, unfortunately, what will happen.

Probably, as no knowledgable investor is going to pay near GPA for this abomination and what collector would want this monstrosity?

This practice, and pressing in general, marginalizes all the existing "un-potentialized" books, so in addition to garnering a lower price than a real 9.2 would garner, the census #'s just popped up another notch for this book. The good news is, once the hobby runs out of real 9.2+ copies of Silver Age Marvel Keys, we can now just make more fake copies like this one...as many as we want! :banana:

Comics are a commodity, thank god!

I think it will. GPA for a 9.2 is 60K. Someone with more money than brains could offer merely half that and the seller will have more than doubled his investment.

This is, unfortunately, what will happen.

Probably, as no knowledgable investor is going to pay near GPA for this abomination.

This practice, and pressing in general, marginalizes all the existing "un-potentialized" books, so in addition to garnering a lower price than a real 9.2 would garner, the census #'s just popped up another notch for this book. The good news is, once the hobby runs out of real 9.2+ copies of Silver Age Marvel Keys, we can now just make more fake copies like this one...as many as we want! :banana:

If these books become more common, even if educated buyers pay less, you're going to have GPA price data reflect that but with no differentiation. So in addition to inflated census numbers, we'll have deflated price data.

Comic books hit their stride as a commodity once the CGC began slabbing individual pages of Action #1.

Sure, I wholeheartedly agree.

I just don't think that this particular Frankenbook is going to net the seller any sort of significant profit.

I agree.

^^

CAL who looked again and still says the re-subbed comic was TRIMMED

But among books with same grade, don't books with white pages get higher prices? Don't books with no miscut or miswrap get higher prices? I don't see that changing, yet consensus appears to be that now all high grade books are going to drop in value. I don't think they will. I've never bought a book that costs this much, but if I did, I wouldn't sell it for less than what I bought.

Comic books hit their stride as a commodity once the CGC began slabbing individual pages of Action #1.

Is there something wrong with slabbing individual pages/wraps of Action #1?

It's on.

Nothing personal. :foryou: Thread just seems weird. Like everyone was asleep the past... decade? That's all.

This board was like ground zero for championing this stuff.

A decade designing a garden. :sumo: Then freak out over the fruit. :ohnoez: Weird. :screwy:

It's on.

Nothing personal. :foryou: Thread just seems weird. Like everyone was asleep the past... decade? That's all.

This board was like ground zero for championing this stuff.

A decade designing a garden. :sumo: Then freak out over the fruit. :ohnoez: Weird. :screwy:

I'm on board with the idea that the acceptance of simple pressing was the catalyst for where we are now. But it doesn't follow that advocates of vanilla pressing shouldn't be bothered by where we are now. There are degrees.

I've never bought a book that costs this much, but if I did, I wouldn't sell it for less than what I bought.

You're not alone, but this is exactly what will lead to a contraction of our hobby.

On "Pawn Stars" the other day a guy brought in what was apparently just an incredible collection of Hot Wheels cars, in great shape, still in their boxes, etc.,. The appraiser that was brought in to look at the collection had a great time and was really impressed with it, before telling the owner he thought it was worth ~one-third of what the owner thought it was worth (~$20,000 appraised vs. the owner's estimate of like $60,000). The appraiser commented something to the effect that "...maybe it was worth that much a few years ago at the peak of the market...". Ouch! :o

Nope, but it hits home the idea of commoditization when a book is broken down page by page and sold in a manner that typically wouldn't have had any value.

Nope, but it hits home the idea of commoditization when a book is broken down page by page and sold in a manner that typically wouldn't have had any value.

You are wrong. I could sell any pages/wraps od Action #1 for the same amount of money, raw or slabbed. That's a fact. (thumbs u