• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,599 posts in this topic

When I get lowball offers, I just ignore them. I don't get upset.

What did bother me - a while back I get a lowball offer. I ignore it. A few days later, the same guy sends me another offer, this time 1 cent more than his last. And again a few days later. Repeat many times for many of my BINs. I had to force myself not to send him a nasty response ... but I didn't. He finally stopped.

3 hours ago, Gaard said:

When I get lowball offers, I just ignore them. I don't get upset.

What did bother me - a while back I get a lowball offer. I ignore it. A few days later, the same guy sends me another offer, this time 1 cent more than his last. And again a few days later. Repeat many times for many of my BINs. I had to force myself not to send him a nasty response ... but I didn't. He finally stopped.

Why not just set the listing to automatically reject offers below a certain threshold?

2 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Why not just set the listing to automatically reject offers below a certain threshold?

Ever since that , for whatever reason, kept pestering me, I've been thinking about it. I didn't set it earlier because I never have a certain price that I'll accept set in stone. If I've had a previous positive transaction with you, I might accept an offer lower than I normally would. The same goes if you've been showing a lot of interest/asking a lot of questions about the book. I'm not a Gordon Gecko kinda guy, taking less for a book doesn't bother me at all. But, honestly, if you offer $75 for a book I have listed for $300, do you really expect a response? And if you don't get a response, do you think "I'll just pester him for a couple of months"?

10 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Ever since that , for whatever reason, kept pestering me, I've been thinking about it. I didn't set it earlier because I never have a certain price that I'll accept set in stone. If I've had a previous positive transaction with you, I might accept an offer lower than I normally would. The same goes if you've been showing a lot of interest/asking a lot of questions about the book. I'm not a Gordon Gecko kinda guy, taking less for a book doesn't bother me at all. But, honestly, if you offer $75 for a book I have listed for $300, do you really expect a response? And if you don't get a response, do you think "I'll just pester him for a couple of months"?

At the very least set it below your cost basis.  I automatically reject all offers below my breakeven unless it's a book I want to move and am willing to take a loss on.

6 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

At the very least set it below your cost basis.  I automatically reject all offers below my breakeven unless it's a book I want to move and am willing to take a loss on.

Good idea. I really can't say why I never thought of it.

[Jim Gaffigan] It's so simple. [/Jim Gaffigan]

58 minutes ago, Gaard said:

every now and then you get a jerk who decides to bother you on ebay. I tend to ignore them and also put them on my block list. Eventually they let go of it. Not sure if those are the most annoying or the ones where they tell some sob story about how this is for their kid and money is really tight and can I also get free shipping blah blah blah -- I stopped responding to those people-- they never quit hounding you otherwise. I find it helps to not list certain things with best offer options as well. Not that it stops someone from just messaging me asking if I will take XX for this item.

Here's another one for the list, edge_vintage_collectibles

I purchased a ASM #4 (1st Silk) CGC 9.8 from this seller on June 22nd, just a few moments after the movie announcement came out. I paid immediately. The seller marked the book as shipped but didn't upload any tracking information. No big deal, the feedback for this seller was good. The eBay estimated window of arrival between June 29th and July 11th. Again, no big deal the seller was in Canada and I'm in the US so it's bound to take longer.

After not receiving the item on July 11th, I sent the seller the following message on July 12th: "I was wondering if you have any tracking information for this item. I did not see it listed with eBay or PayPal."
The seller responded just hours later with the following:

reply 1.JPG

On July 21st, after still not receiving the book, I sent the seller another message: "If you have returned from vacation, and it's not too much trouble, could you please send the tracking information for this purchase from June 22nd. It has yet to arrive."
On July 22nd the seller responded:
Reply 2.JPG

On the evening of July 26th (today), after failing to receive any form of tracking as promised, I filed an eBay dispute for "item not yet received" and was refunded fully within an hours time by the seller.

My only conclusion at this point is that the seller had no intention on sending me the book that was purchased (probably because it had become "hot") and for reasons that I will never fathom, decided to hold my money for as long as possible instead of refunding right away and taking his lumps at that time.

I felt like I had no other choice but to leave negative feedback for this transaction.

edge_vintage_collectibles  I feel sad for you.

9 hours ago, DeadOne said:

edge_vintage_collectibles  I feel sad for you.

I'm surprised he hasn't tried to relist the book on eBay (not yet anyway).  Certainly doesn't seem like the sharpest scam artist in town.  He could've at least told you that his truck died and he got so upset that he dropped the book and ran it over with his dog, and due to this he'll be happy to refund you the money.

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

I'm surprised he hasn't tried to relist the book on eBay (not yet anyway).

Maybe he sold it locally? Or maybe (like I was going to do) they decided to hold it until the next announcement and wait for the prices to go back up? Or maybe they did ship it and they just don't have the tracking to confirm it and decided to refund themselves since eBay/PayPal would make them do it eventually.

I bought 2 9.8 copies that day from different sellers and in the back of my head I wondered if either would really be delivered. One was and one wasn't and I was eventually refunded by the one from above, so no real harm done. It's just a bummer to be strung along.

Just a side note that the seller that DID ship the other copy that I purchased, comics_to_astonish_inc, was top notch all the way, so I know for a fact that integrity still means something to some people.

14 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

Maybe he sold it locally? Or maybe (like I was going to do) they decided to hold it until the next announcement and wait for the prices to go back up? Or maybe they did ship it and they just don't have the tracking to confirm it and decided to refund themselves since eBay/PayPal would make them do it eventually.

I bought 2 9.8 copies that day from different sellers and in the back of my head I wondered if either would really be delivered. One was and one wasn't and I was eventually refunded by the one from above, so no real harm done. It's just a bummer to be strung along.

Just a side note that the seller that DID ship the other copy that I purchased, comics_to_astonish_inc, was top notch all the way, so I know for a fact that integrity still means something to some people.

Yeah, you never know what is going on with sellers and their idea of how or when to sell books. I definitely recommend a negative feedback on something like that though.

Also, I definitely recommend Comics to Astonish. They do top notch work and deliver every time!

2c

Been a heck of a month for me, I guess. Here's another one for the list.

eBayer flotowncomics won an auction of mine just moments ago and immediately sent a cancellation request. I inquired as to why they would wish to cancel and received this response:

"book went over market leading me to believe there might be some shill bidding involved"

To which I responded:

"An absurd statement since the final amount was set by you. You were in control of your account when bidding, correct?
I will grant your cancellation request.
I certainly do not want anyone to have a purchase from me that they do not wish to have.
I have however attached a picture showing a screen capture of the bidding history for this auction. Feel free to contact those eBay members and inquire for yourself.
Normally, buyers remorse doesn't rub me the wrong way, but your insinuations have left a bad taste in my mouth.
Thanks for helping me avoid future headaches"

Here's the screen capture of the bidding history that was sent to them: (click to enlarge)

Capture.JPG

They responded in kind with:

"Hey np I feel the same way"

flotowncomics... shame on you too, for wasting people's time. (tsk)

44 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

Been a heck of a month for me, I guess. Here's another one for the list.

eBayer flotowncomics won an auction of mine just moments ago and immediately sent a cancellation request. I inquired as to why they would wish to cancel and received this response:

"book went over market leading me to believe there might be some shill bidding involved"

To which I responded:

"An absurd statement since the final amount was set by you. You were in control of your account when bidding, correct?
I will grant your cancellation request.
I certainly do not want anyone to have a purchase from me that they do not wish to have.
I have however attached a picture showing a screen capture of the bidding history for this auction. Feel free to contact those eBay members and inquire for yourself.
Normally, buyers remorse doesn't rub me the wrong way, but your insinuations have left a bad taste in my mouth.
Thanks for helping me avoid future headaches"

Here's the screen capture of the bidding history that was sent to them: (click to enlarge)

Capture.JPG

They responded in kind with:

"Hey np I feel the same way"

flotowncomics... shame on you too, for wasting people's time. (tsk)

what a ridiculous excuse to cancel-- they bid $14 and then 4 minutes later bid $20.50+  - the 2nd place bidder bid higher bid 9 minutes before they did their first bid. Hope you block that insufficiently_thoughtful_person - claims shill bidding when they were caught thrill bidding.

Glad I found this thread....

Listed my slightly stained, but otherwise decent copy of ASM 129 on ebay last week and winning bid came in at the last 10 seconds.... waited, sent invoice, waited, send message, nothing.... n.austin281 (177) .... is on my do not disturb list now.

I've said this before, but there is an argument to be made for NOT setting a "bottom price" threshold on Buy It Now items. First, it's easy to do when you're listing a couple items; not so easy when listing a couple hundred. Ok, FWP for sure...but the other reason is this: if you reject lowball offers, you'll never know that that person was interested in your item in the first place...and you never know when you just might be able to negotiate that buyer up to where you need to be. 

If your low price threshold on a $200 item is $125, and someone makes a $120 offer...you might have considered that price, but you'll ever know such an offer was ever made. At the very least, you'll know there's someone who is interested.

Something to consider.

"But what about the waste of time super lowballers?" Like the guys who offer $10 on a $500 item? Or $50 on a $250 item? (Assuming $500 and $250 are within reasonable FMV)

I block them.

Life's too short to waste too much time on people who want to play games.

Back to the blocking!