• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ROM the Spaceknight
2 2

249 posts in this topic

On September 15, 2016 at 7:53 PM, DeadpoolJr. said:

I would of liked to see Greg LaRocque, Ricardo Villamonte draw a few issues of him. After seeing their pencil, and ink work on him in Power Man and Iron Fist #73 I thought is was really sharp, and really complemented ROM.

I've got a couple of LaRocque's pages from PM/IF 73. Will try to shoot and post tonight. I was in high school when it came out and bought them from him at a local con. When it comes to nice creators, this guy is straight out of the Joe Sinnott camp -- one of the nicest, most engaging guys you will meet. 

Bought those and one of his Simonson-inked pages to What If 32, a twist on the Avengers Korvac saga, one of my all-time favorites.

15 hours ago, Readcomix said:

I've got a couple of LaRocque's pages from PM/IF 73. Will try to shoot and post tonight. I was in high school when it came out and bought them from him at a local con. When it comes to nice creators, this guy is straight out of the Joe Sinnott camp -- one of the nicest, most engaging guys you will meet. 

Bought those and one of his Simonson-inked pages to What If 32, a twist on the Avengers Korvac saga, one of my all-time favorites.

Ok, here they are...pages 2 and 3 of PM/IF #73, featuring Rom, by Greg LaRocque.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

Doesn't surprise me. Rom had quite a big following in the early 1980s. I was looking at some sales figures info and Rom outsold Superman and Batman comics during the early 1980s. Before Byrne and Miller Superman and Batman. So a lot of people grew up with Rom. Rom could be a big sleeper if he gets put in the upcoming Micronauts and Transformers movies.

2 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

Rom was a must read when I was a kid in the eighties! This is the only Rom slab I own now, though:

rom16.278a.jpg

That was a really great issue, and very similar to how the dynamics between the Silver Surfer, and Galactus worked but with ROM. Galactus even saying how ROM reminded him of the Silver Surfer.

Edited by DeadpoolJr.

5 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Doesn't surprise me. Rom had quite a big following in the early 1980s. I was looking at some sales figures info and Rom outsold Superman and Batman comics during the early 1980s. Before Byrne and Miller Superman and Batman. So a lot of people grew up with Rom. Rom could be a big sleeper if he gets put in the upcoming Micronauts and Transformers movies.

That makes sense with how much a ROM # 9.8 can go for now, when before they weren't considered anything special. Will be interesting to see what a nice Ditko page will go for in a decently advertised auction. More than Buscema?

4 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I would pay mucho dinero for the splash page to Rom 1 by Buscema. 

Ditko's work on Rom was rather bad and I doubt it goes for any kind of premium, but maybe it would be a cheap way to score some Ditko.

You think Ditko's work on ROM was bad? I think some of the faces on some characters were weird, but thought it was good over all.

This page that sold recently for example looks pretty good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steve-Ditko-Original-Art-ROM-69-page-6-MARVEL-/122966095523?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=gY2P8G1F3cBLVL2C4NMk%2F9SwEsc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

And yeah a lot of people would be going after that issue 1 title splash. I could see it going for a premium for a few reasons.

40 minutes ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

You think Ditko's work on ROM was bad? I think some of the faces on some characters were weird, but thought it was good over all.

This page that sold recently for example looks pretty good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steve-Ditko-Original-Art-ROM-69-page-6-MARVEL-/122966095523?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=gY2P8G1F3cBLVL2C4NMk%2F9SwEsc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

And yeah a lot of people would be going after that issue 1 title splash. I could see it going for a premium for a few reasons.

for those of us without the knowledge you have, what are the reasons?

Thanks in advance. 

UPDATE: just google image searched the splash page: cool artwork!

Edited by NoMan

4 minutes ago, NoMan said:

for those of us without the knowledge you have, what are the reasons?

Thanks in advance. 

Sure, I think it would have a few advantages.

The first being that it's from the very first issue. I've noticed that art from issue 1's tend to go for a bit more than their counter parts. I went after a page from Moon Knight #1, and drove it up to the mid 3k range before I bailed as an example, I wouldn't have bid it up that high, nor the other person if it wasn't from that issue. It being issue 1 also makes it a key issue with that page also counting as ROM's first appearance in comics, making it a key page in a key issue, with it also having nice imagery.

Scarcity is another factor since I've never seen a page from issue #1 offered, or even posted anywhere making it rare, probably because again it comes from a key issue.

A major thing also for original art is how we put it in a hierarchy. Covers go for the most, followed by splashes, and title pages, and than panel pages by content as the standard formula, though it can be mixed up on rare occasions. This is not only a nice splash, but is the title splash, which automatically puts it at the top value than the other pages, with only the cover really beating it. The splash page also isn't boring either, but has nice aesthetics, having a nice full figure front facing ROM emerging from the crater, so great content also.

Lastly, are the known ROM focused collectors themselves. Like the saying goes you only need 2 to drive up an auction, and I can think of a few ROM collectors who wouldn't have a problem getting bloody to get it, especially since for them it would be a grail level piece, with only the cover to issue 1 really topping it IMO. I mean how many chances would they have at getting a page from issue 1, especially the splash itself?

So when you consider all these factors I think the ROM splash would bring in a nice number for who ever was selling it. I would even throw my own hat into the ring honestly for a shot at it.

38 minutes ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

Sure, I think it would have a few advantages.

The first being that it's from the very first issue. I've noticed that art from issue 1's tend to go for a bit more than their counter parts. I went after a page from Moon Knight #1, and drove it up to the mid 3k range before I bailed as an example, I wouldn't have bid it up that high, nor the other person if it wasn't from that issue. It being issue 1 also makes it a key issue with that page also counting as ROM's first appearance in comics, making it a key page in a key issue, with it also having nice imagery.

Scarcity is another factor since I've never seen a page from issue #1 offered, or even posted anywhere making it rare, probably because again it comes from a key issue.

A major thing also for original art is how we put it in a hierarchy. Covers go for the most, followed by splashes, and title pages, and than panel pages by content as the standard formula, though it can be mixed up on rare occasions. This is not only a nice splash, but is the title splash, which automatically puts it at the top value than the other pages, with only the cover really beating it. The splash page also isn't boring either, but has nice aesthetics, having a nice full figure front facing ROM emerging from the crater, so great content also.

Lastly, are the known ROM focused collectors themselves. Like the saying goes you only need 2 to drive up an auction, and I can think of a few ROM collectors who wouldn't have a problem getting bloody to get it, especially since for them it would be a grail level piece, with only the cover to issue 1 really topping it IMO. I mean how many chances would they have at getting a page from issue 1, especially the splash itself?

So when you consider all these factors I think the ROM splash would bring in a nice number for who ever was selling it. I would even throw my own hat into the ring honestly for a shot at it.

Thanks for taking the time to give a learned response. Like I said, I want to get reading copies of the ROM run as I hear it's a good, solid fun read. I think Frank Miller did the art to eh cover of #1, no? could be wrong.

I'm thinking of scoring a Micronauts  1 (another fun read) CGC 9.8 and a ROM 1 CGC 9.8 and throwing them in the back of the closet just in case. I can't understand why the micronauts aren't more popular. As many have said, a film of them is only a matter of time. The ROM toy seems, um, a bit stale.

Again thank you for taking the time to respond to my question!

Edited by NoMan

5 hours ago, awe4one said:

ROM_ART.jpeg

That's really cool! I remember seeing this splash, and even though it doesn't have much ROM in it, thought it was cool how they showed real world figures. I can see this being a nostalgic piece also, since it shows the time it's from.