• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics #1 Club
14 14

1,547 posts in this topic

Thanks, by possibly marrying I mean putting the interior in the loose cover and submitting.  No physical attaching restoration/conservation etc.  The staple holes don't line up anyways so it would be obviously married. 

36 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

I paid more for the interior.

I got cold feet last min of auction. The book looked really white on the inside spine. :censored: who am I kidding I blew it and so did a lot of others. :facepalm: Knightsofold was brave and got a great cover :golfclap:

Edited by woowoo

4 minutes ago, woowoo said:

I got cold feet last min of auction. The book looked really white on the inside spine. :censored: who am I kidding I blew it and so did a lot of others. :facepalm: Knightsofold was brave and got a great cover :golfclap:

Thanks!  Although when I won the auction, my wife had a different word for "brave".  :facepalm: 

The interior is in great condition.  Congrats.

The Kirby sig is cool, but to my eye it looks like it was drawn slowly or with hesitation.  What are your thoughts on the sig?  Any story or provenance come with the book?

No matter if the sig is real or not, that is an awesome interior and a great set to have.  If you decide to marry them in a slab maybe print up a nice color copy of the splash page to put in the slab bag with the slab.

I think a 4.0 Q might be within reason.

1 hour ago, Knightsofold said:

Here are some better pics, but the machine made them so dark....  Someday I'll get one of those nice scanners you guys have.

My scans usually come out dark like that too.. and (on a Macbook) I open them in Preview and just click Tools -> Adjust Color -> Auto Levels.. and that gets them bright like in person.

12 hours ago, Knightsofold said:
I like to think it's a real signature.  What do you guys think?

33356316161_19099e4997_b.jpg

I have heard that as Kirby aged, his handwriting suffered and he had a tremor in his sigs. I have a similar Kirby sig. I think it's legit! jk.JPG.282514087380e3d43f297dfa8f2a7991.JPG

Edited by TheSurgeon

16 minutes ago, TheSurgeon said:

I have heard that as Kirby aged, his handwriting suffered and he had a tremor in his sigs. I have a similar Kirby sig. I think it's legit! jk.JPG.282514087380e3d43f297dfa8f2a7991.JPG

Tough call but I'd like to think it's legit too. Might want to look at as many examples of his legit signature as possible to compare. The one shown above is hard to compare because it looks like he purposely squished it to fit the space.

14 hours ago, gadzukes said:

The interior is in great condition.  Congrats.

The Kirby sig is cool, but to my eye it looks like it was drawn slowly or with hesitation.  What are your thoughts on the sig?  Any story or provenance come with the book?

No matter if the sig is real or not, that is an awesome interior and a great set to have.  If you decide to marry them in a slab maybe print up a nice color copy of the splash page to put in the slab bag with the slab.

I think a 4.0 Q might be within reason.

The sig looks like a lot of genuine Kirby sigs I have seen from the 60s, so I would guess it's readl

Congrats on putting together an amazing book!

On another note Jack Kirby's signature changed over the years and also the prettiest ones were done by his wife...

with all that being said I vote YES to it being authentic!

1 hour ago, Wayne-Tec said:

The odds of finding a complete cover and a complete coverless interior, in this nice of shape? Wow.

It was meant to be!! Imagine if they where one of the same and they have now been reunited after all these years.

Edited by SupergirlDC19591