• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pontoon's Boston Comic Con Report 2014

71 posts in this topic

:hi:

"It's good to be back", says somebody having adventures in the bathtub.Good to be back at the 2014 Boston Comic Con as well, especially since the smaller metro Boston local shows are in limbo.

This was a rougher ride for yours truly than the the last year, but as always I wouldn't miss it for the world. Traveling outside of the state is tough for dad, and the pizza just finished cooking so this will be a piecemeal report in standard DP style.

With a swollen tooth in the background, here's how the show started out por moises:

Condenserfan.jpg

That's my new condenser fan and condenser with T-stat and belt behind that got me to the show, about 8 hous later than anticipated, posted mostly for the amusement and derision of the Belgian.

Chaos currently ensues at the Pontoon Palace, so be sure to check the Events thread for more pix in the meantime:

BCC Events thread.

:sorry:

The Boston Boobs and Books report might have to pick up again tomorrow.

You might have to revise that to "Boston Boobs, Books & Balls" depending on the pictures.

:

That's my new condenser fan and condenser with T-stat and belt behind that got me to the show, about 8 hous later than anticipated, posted mostly for the amusement and derision of the Belgian.

Noun 1. masochist - someone who obtains pleasure from receiving punishment

Antonyms:

sadist - someone who obtains pleasure from inflicting pain or others

:roflmao:

Is that still Christine?

Yes indeed, that’s the car some people refer to as Christine. 208,000+ miles and still running strong. It just seems to have problems with comic events.

I planned to take a photo with all the parts out but forgot my camera, so I don’t have any shots from the show that day either.

So anyways, Friday was a complete drag. I’d been looking forward to it for weeks and had taken a vacation day, planning to dive into some boxes first thing in the morning but instead I wasn’t able to hit the road until about 3:00, just in time for Friday rush hour. I was pretty fried by the time I arrived. Don’t think I bought anything that day, mostly took a walk through to scope things out and settled in to help out GACollectibles.

Got home just as my son was falling asleep, had a beer and some Thai food and hit the sack.

Saturday I was up and at ‘em at about 6:15. It was a beautiful morning. Since horticulture is as least as important as funnybooks, here’s an idea what it looked like at the Pontoon Palace. Little bit of late summer droop in the front garden:

Frontyard2.jpg

The dogwood needs some serious pruning:

Doigwood.jpg

And the yard needs some serious mowing:

Appletree.jpg

Herbs could use some serious trimming:

Herbgarden.jpg

And the veggies could use some serious weeding:

Heirloom.jpg

The tomatoes aren’t doing so great this year, which fellow tomato buff and boardie underthebigW and I discussed in detail at the show.

Of course with the con, all of the yard work had to be put off until next weekend.

Almost forgot the liatris. Getting late, starting to turn:

Liatris.jpg

After long tearful goodbyes, down the road I went. Here’s a shot of Boston coming in from the Tobin Bridge:

Tobin2.jpg

After getting over the bridge, my plans went to poop again. The exit for Logan Airport was closed, and traffic was being diverted to the same exit for the Seaport World Trade Center. Yay!

Stuck in an interminable logjam, I eventually made it out to Seaport Blvd. and as I approached the WTC made the left turn to park in my usual lot. It was full. Yay!

Made a u-turn and had to squeeze into the lane waiting to get into the lot on the opposite side of the street. After another endless crawl up to the lot, just as I reached the gate the attendant discovered it was full, as angry parkers returned to the kiosk asking "Are we supposed to make our own spaces? It's completely full!" Hooray for happy fun!

I managed to get out of there and drove down the street to the next lot that was also full. Couldn’t tell before you turned off the road though. Saw signs for another further down, wound my way around 3 corners into an underground garage where the charge was $34 for the day. No rate posted until you got to the gate of course. Since I was basically at the end of Seaport Blvd at this point, I decided if I was going to get bent over for parking I’d just go to the con center hotel.

To make a long story longer, once again I arrived late and settled in to assist GACollectibles.

How do you have the time for all that? Landscaping looks great, IMHO. :)

Peace,

Chip

I dunno. I get up early and work hard at it for a while. I find yard work and gardening extremely rewarding and relaxing, so it's not so bad. Don't always have time to get it all in though so something always seems to be overgrown at any given time.

Comes in handy when bickering with the missus sometimes; "You know, a lot of wives would be happy to have a husband who wants to mow the lawn!"

I should add that it's a team effort. I do a lot of the grunt work, but the missus does a fair share of planning and planting.

I better get some photos in here. I usually prefer to take wall shots rather than cosplay photos, but managed to get a fair amount of costumes this year since I kept my camera on the table at the booth. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to get as many wall shots. I always want to see those of other folks’; I’ve bought a few great books on the boards from wall shots of shows I wasn’t at.

I have no idea who she is supposed to be. But then I'm old and stupid. Too bad nobody photobombed it.

Cosplay5.jpg

Secret Society of Fist Pumpers:

Fistpump.jpg

With some preliminary booth business out of the way I managed to duck out for a trip over to Jim Payette’s booth. He had a large selection of Bronze and Silver on his table, and a small wall display with some tough Golden books. I didn’t have my camera and didn’t make it back. I hadn’t quite finished getting though all the boxes when my phone rang, summoning me back to work. I did manage to pick up a great batch of books though at great prices. He even seemed to be in a good mood! Here’s one of them, has a Mark Jewelers Insert, too. (Though I don't seek them out.) This is a book I bought when it was on the stands, but is among the few that I got rid of from that time.

MS32.jpg