• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your CGC Boards Origin Story
5 5

432 posts in this topic

Don't remember why i logged on in 2005 but I do recall i joined in the midst of the Jason Ewerts fiasco. The board was filled with outrage and disappointment. Turned out to be a tough act to follow as far as people being excited over an issue. Haven't seen anything like it since.

in early 2010, I wanted to conduct a personal research of the encapsulation of comics after reading a "raw vs. subbed" thread on ComicBookRealm.com, as i've never seen a "slabbed" comic; bought a Sandman CGC 9.2 off of eBay to experience holding one in hand...

my1stCGC.jpg

After reading some exciting threads, buying books from very nice boardies on the forum, and submitting some of my own books, that research has now turned into a daily read of the forums and submissions on occasion to this day... :)

A long time friend a collector introduced me to the boards after I expressed interest in starting up a collection. Every since I've been dazzled by this haven I never knew existed. If anyone knows anyway to parley a shotgun blast of arts credits into some kind of appraisal training please let me know. My childhood dream was being an appraiser on antiques road show,or hosting jeopardy.

I stopped collecting maybe in 1994. Last year I went to a Wizard World con for the hell of it and had a great time, bought some original art, met Neal Adams, saw William Shatner, spent all my money, etc. Next time the con came I went again with some comics to submit to CGC, thinking "oh - maybe I'll sell all my comics, since I don't collect any more." Ended up submitting one - Green Lantern 76. Came back a 9.4 so I got pretty stoked on getting some more slabbed so came to the boards here to learn more about it. Since I've been buying comics on here like crazy. Found out about pre-code horror and crime (can believe I never knew about that stuff!) and am now a full blown comic addict again! So thanks (I think)..........

Boring story. I was googling looking for a place that sells magazine sized microchamber paper for my mag sized indies (I, Lusiphur/Poison Elves) and I got a hit on this site. It was from years ago, and to ensure that the guy didn't post something newer I methodically went through all of threads he commented on over the last few years.

Seemed like a cool place. Decided to stick around.

Edited by vhfroggy

Boring story. I was googling looking for a place that sells magazine sized microchamber paper for my mag sized indies (I, Lusiphur/Poison Elves) and I got a hit on this site. It was from years ago, and to ensure that the guy didn't post something newer I methodically went through all of threads he commented on over the last few years.

Seemed like a cool place. Decided to stick around.

Welcome to the boards. :applause:

I met "Sam I am" when I was 10 years old in an old book shop that had long boxes under a table in the cluttered old paperback room, he was looking for flash comics and I was hunting for covers that look cool to a 10 year old, I vividly recall a Mister Miracle cover from that day.

tumblr_oal3wu4wbE1qd3dteo1_250.jpg

I still have Mister Miracle #16 and a bunch of other cool looking comics that SamIam told me to buy, so when he sent a link to the Boards and said sign up I did so. Ive been here a few days and don't sleep as much as I used to. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thanks for the intro Sam!

Not sure if I have replied to this thread or not:

I bought an Iron Man #1 CGC 9.2 Western Penn pedigree book on Ebay and it led me here to learn more about CGC.

It was all downhill from there. :roflmao:

Not sure if I have replied to this thread or not:

I bought an Iron Man #1 CGC 9.2 Western Penn pedigree book on Ebay and it led me here to learn more about CGC.

It was all downhill from there. :roflmao:

(tsk)

This forum is great!