• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BATMAN THE KILLING JOKE
2 2

193 posts in this topic

Hello Aszumilo.

Yesterday (October 16) I received a 4th printing Killing Joke without the back cover text from a Canadian seller. Inside was no BOMC text. That is 2 for me and one drom Canada that Stronguy has. I did some looking, and found an article on The Canadian Encyclopedia on book clubs. According to it, BOMC had 100,000 members in Canada in 1987. Also, the Book Club Division of Doubleday Canada had 250,000 members in 1987. Could Doubleday bee the source of the copies without BOMC text?

And let us throw some more gasoline on this fire. A few months ago, I received a 4th BOMC as part of a 2 book lot. The other was a copy of the Batman Year One trade 2nd printing. Something struck me as odd about it. I couldn’t find a price anywhere. So I looked on the publication information page, and there is the BOMC text. So I looked through the Ebay listings and found 4 copies that had no price, including one from Canada. I ordered them and waited. The first two had BOMC text. The third came from Shenksville, PA, and did not have the BOMC text. And when the Canadian book came, it too did not have the BOMC text. I will try to get pictures to post at some point, if I could figure out how to get my phone to hook up to e-mail.

I have searched for book club edition of the Year One trade, and not have found anything. Two brand new 35 year old books. Maybe. So, should we be trying to find a list of DC trades from the late 80’s\early 90’s, and checking Ebay listings for unpriced copies? A whole new collecting area. Get in on the ground floor. I wonder if any of the early DC Archives got the book club treatment? Someone else can go down that rabbit hole.

I'm still hunting for one of those non BOMC books.  I thought I found one, but, it was a BOMC version.  We (me and RMA) tried reaching out to BOMC to see if they could give us any info on the KJ books, but, we got no repsonse.

Very interesting on the Year One book.  So far we only found the Killing Joke BOMC

Edited by aszumilo

I just got one of the non-BOMC books in the mail today.  Now to figure out where it came from.

Nothing in the e-bay ad mentioned anything, but, it didn't have the price and mature warning on the back cover, so, I took a chance.  Took a long time to get one, but, seems they (and the BOMC edition) are popping up more frequently lately.

@Jesse-Lee They look pretty good, but, hard to gauge a grade for them with those bags.  That Killing Joke 6th print is a newsstand edition.  It is the only printing that has a bar code on the front cover.  CGC is now labeling it as a newsstand (as I saw an auction for one that is labeled "Newsstand"), but, don't have a slot for it in the registry set.  It was told to me that it will go into the regular (direct) edition slot.

On 12/15/2023 at 10:32 PM, aszumilo said:

@Jesse-Lee They look pretty good, but, hard to gauge a grade for them with those bags.  That Killing Joke 6th print is a newsstand edition.  It is the only printing that has a bar code on the front cover.  CGC is now labeling it as a newsstand (as I saw an auction for one that is labeled "Newsstand"), but, don't have a slot for it in the registry set.  It was told to me that it will go into the regular (direct) edition slot.

They're much nicer out of the bags, but a little bit of finger smudges, color rub, etc. The newsstand has a small bend issue on the top-left back cover, and a couple have some spots like a bindery issue on the spine, but in general very good. Not 9.8s, but decent-enough grades. I have a few copies of the 1st and 2nd print now, and overall I have 1st, 2nd 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th prints - I'll probably attempt to at least get a copy of each of the printings at some point, but I'm not going to chase it for now. I'm just happy to finally have a newsie of my favorite book!

IMG_0122.thumb.JPG.ff45bc39be84c74ba1789aeaca95464d.JPG

IMG_0123.thumb.JPG.f78d359a0480a597eac1a19bfce76b81.JPG

IMG_0120.thumb.JPG.8ce856c0ee442f8670d7cc29abb2ff9e.JPG

IMG_0121.thumb.JPG.576dfc9d960465aff430827a156bc278.JPG

IMG_0118.thumb.JPG.825bad2a38bb6bcf81840b5ba60b3456.JPG

IMG_0119.thumb.JPG.07d39adb654feb96789e7422e59d620c.JPG

IMG_0116.thumb.JPG.5966dd3e676b379a8933a8cf9c80274e.JPG

IMG_0117.thumb.JPG.3ec6b4074e62e119d8911527f01c592d.JPG

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 12/15/2023 at 10:46 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

They're much nicer out of the bags, but a little bit of finger smudges, color rub, etc. The newsstand has a small bend issue, and a couple have some spots like a bindery issue on the spine, but in general very good. Not 9.8s, but decent-enough grades. I have a few copies of the 1st and 2nd print now, and overall I have 1st, 2nd 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th prints - I'll probably attempt to at least get a copy of each of the printings at some point, but I'm not going to chase it for now. I'm just happy to finally have a newsie of my favorite book!

IMG_0122.thumb.JPG.ff45bc39be84c74ba1789aeaca95464d.JPG

IMG_0123.thumb.JPG.f78d359a0480a597eac1a19bfce76b81.JPG

IMG_0120.thumb.JPG.8ce856c0ee442f8670d7cc29abb2ff9e.JPG

IMG_0121.thumb.JPG.576dfc9d960465aff430827a156bc278.JPG

IMG_0118.thumb.JPG.825bad2a38bb6bcf81840b5ba60b3456.JPG

IMG_0119.thumb.JPG.07d39adb654feb96789e7422e59d620c.JPG

IMG_0116.thumb.JPG.5966dd3e676b379a8933a8cf9c80274e.JPG

IMG_0117.thumb.JPG.3ec6b4074e62e119d8911527f01c592d.JPG

Good eye on the listing 😉 that's for sure. :)

Congrats and A+  on effort!. :)

Still kind of hard to believe that "suggested for mature readers" would be available on a "newsstand". I've never been carded for a comic though idk...

Just curious given some of the killing joke material ahem, but I guess even comic shops regularly sold it so maybe I'm making a misnomer lol

Were other LCS's held to a different level when selling compared to a grocery store? Or am I reading too much into it?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/15/2023 at 10:55 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Still kind of hard to believe that "suggested for mature readers" would be available on a "newsstand". I've never been carded for a comic though idk...

Just curious given some of the killing joke, ahem, "not in comic shops, but I guess even comic shops regularly sold it so maybe I'm making a misnomer lol

We're other LCS's held to a different level when selling compared to a grocery spptore? Or am I reading too much into it?

My original copy from when I was a kid is a 7th print. I believe I bought it in 1989 or 1990 (I could be mistaken, I'm not 100% sure what the time frame was for the 7th printing), so I would have been 11-12. I remember my dad taking me to a comic shop in Madison, and it was on a rack, and nobody said a word when I bought it... (shrug)

EDIT: Actually, I was wrong, it's a 4th print. So I guess I have 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 8th printings now.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 12/15/2023 at 8:59 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

My original copy from when I was a kid is a 7th print. I believe I bought it in 1989 or 1990 (I could be mistaken, I'm not 100% sure what the time frame was for the 7th printing), so I would have been 11-12. I remember my dad taking me to a comic shop in Madison, and it was on a rack, and nobody said a word when I bought it... (shrug)

EDIT: Actually, I was wrong, it's a 4th print. So I guess I have 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 8th printings now.

I have a few extras of the other printings you are missing, if you are interested.  I'll have to dig them out to see which ones.

Also, if you take an eyeglass cleaning cloth and a little hot breath, you can get rid of some of the fingerprints.  The longer the prints are there, the harder it is to get rid of them.  I have done it on a couple of books and got thm to come back 9.8.

Edited by aszumilo

Hello Azumillo,

Well, I have 2 more data points for you. On March 30, I received a lot of a 1st and a Book Club 4th Killing Joke, and today (April 9), I received another Book Club 4th. Both were the Non-BOMC version, and both were from Canadian sellers. So all 4 of my copies have come from Canada, as has Stonguy’s copy. Do you recall if the copy you found was from Canada as well? If so, it would seem that this may have been made for something there. I would still put money (but not too much) on Doubleday Book Club of Canada. San Diego started convention exclusives in the 21st century, so it seems way too early for some sort of Canadian convention giveaway. I looked up the bigger conventions in Canada, and only Hal-Con started early enough, and it ran until 1987 and then did not run again until 2010. If only we could look at Ronald's records...