• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

?? Green Label fair market value vs. having restoration on said green label book

28 posts in this topic

so...I'm not new to comics but I am new to grading properly and CGC. I'm concerned because I foolishly purchased a Superman 4 listed as CGC 8.0. I paid 2500.00 thinking it was a good deal (buyer beware..i know ). As I was" checking out "of the auction I noticed it was listed as green label missing 2 pages (but this wasn't mentioned on the main auction page..it just said CGC 8.0). I contacted the auction site (not Ebay) and they said all sales are binding and final on CGC books. I read in here that missing pages qualifies as a 0.5 grade making this book worth about 100.00. First off...is this true ? and second: would it be worth it (or ethical) to purchase a 1.0 for 200.00 and have the pages professionally restored in my book from the secondary book? I guess this would mean replacing staples and receiving a purple label. Would i recoup my money on that particular book and would anyone buy a restored superman 4 8.0. it seems people don't touch restored books and only fools like myself pay 2500 for a green label book. I could really use some good advice since i'll be sleeping on the couch for a month once my wife finds out :).

Thank you...I saw the comparison chart..very depressing news...but is it worth having the book restored and would that switch it to the restored label and increase it's value to some degree? I mean, what's it going to cost me to have it done professionally and is the 8.0 going to drop as they handle the book and spine to replace pages? Would I be doing all this work for nothing. 2500 to me is a whole lot of money. it would have been my best book if that helps put thing in perspective.

Unfortunately I wouldn't think restoration would be cost effective on this book. The price of the book to marry and the restoration to add the pages (figure ~$1000) wouldn't be more than the difference between a Qualified 8.0 (around ~$1000) and a Extensive Professionally restored 8.0 (maybe $1500-$2000).

These are the sales data points from GPA:

8.0 $6,500 May-2010 Last 8.0 Blue label sale

SP ( 8.0 ) 2,550 Sep-2003 Restored 8.0

SA ( 8.0 ) $1,955 Feb-2004 Restored 8.0

Q ( 8.0 ) Incomplete $980 Jun-2014 This is most likely the book you bought. It was bought for $980, which was probably too high even at that price.

If it were me, I would not try and throw more money at this thing. I am sorry it has been bad for you.

Thanks guys..that was all wonderful information..not what I wanted to hear but fair ,informative and candid. I guess it's a very hard lesson learned. I paid the 39.00 to join this site because I at least knew enough to ask the professionals. I just started buying again after 10 yrs and soooo much has changed. i didn't even know there was a green label. I'm pretty pissed you can sell a book like that and claim 8.0 but what do I know ? guess i'm buying my wife flowers tonight before I tell her..this really is bad but I'm accountable for my own actions..thanks again

one of you guys just asked me if it was properly listed on the auction site...I honestly think if one had any clue at all, it was very clear. I mean ...nothing on the main page in writing about pages missing or qualified...they can put "2nd highest CGC grade " but don't have to put pages missing. However, there was a picture of the book and all I knew was it wasn't purple . I foolishly assumed it was a version of blue like my red ones from last time i purchased. It was all listed at check out if i took one second to read cgc's notes, but i buy cgc so i don't have to worry. I mean..why in God's name do you start a new category for a book that wasn't signed or altered in any way. it simply is a book at face value with all it's flaws....a 0.5. you guys eat ,sleep and breath this stuff...I don't ....it's clearly my fault for ASSUMING...but my wife used to always buy me books for my birthday or christmas and people like that or like me just aren't going to know what a qualified label is...it's not restored and the guide book says "x" for value...since CGC is now doing qualified, maybe they can get overstreet to add a column for qualified value and put it right above the 2.0 guide price :)......anyway...thanks for all your help and time I truly appreciate it

HEY!!!!!!! I just received an email from the president of the auction site ( I wrote to him and about 5 other people in a frenzy) and he said he's going to take the book back. I think one of you guys made a call for me and I'm grateful :). that was the most fantastic news i could get.....thanks again for your help guys...I'm getting "due diligence" tattooed to my forehead right after I sleep for 2 days.

because they were still awaiting shipment from the seller after taking my credit card info....they said they would not refund the purchase because it was binding. i wrote to the president and he said he would cancel the order. I offered a 100.00 restocking fee for their trouble and he said it wasn't necessary. the flaw was not written on the front page..only the picture..which as I explained...i was not familiar with green. I also stated that it was clearly written in the detail page when purchasing and i missed it because of my assumptions about

cgc graded books. If he relisted it properly then they asked him to...i was on comic link like you said . i asked you guys about restoring it and fair market value assuming the book was on it's way as i was so told by the company. why it's on ebay i can only guess they contacted the seller today after the president emailed me (or before) and told him the order wasn't going through...or maybe it was always on there... either way, I am grateful to the group for assisting me and less grateful to the guy who's insinuating I wasn't in deep mess over this purchase because if the president didn't take the time to resolve this it would still be on it's way to me and id be out 2500.00. however...since you're quite qualified at research...why don't you find my purchase agreement and the binding contract with it....maybe you could also see when it was listed because i'm assuming as of sat night midnight..it was removed after i foolishly bought it. But really....I don't know why I'm trying to defend my previous statements...i bought a book...it wasn't stated on the front page (just a pic)...I went back over that page a dozen times that night to make sure... and they had my credit card and wouldn't cancel it while awaiting it's arrival. the fact that it wasn't in my hand was irrelevant. i owned it. I needed to figure out what I was going to do with it. Was I smart...no...was i screwed...yes..did it get resolved at 1pm (or so) today..thankfully yes....

oh..and i checked out your posted listings...the ebay one would have been a no brainer...never saw it...the comic link one was the second page after you hit "buy". the first page simply said "CGC 8.0" . with a picture ...if it said half the stuff that the ebay one says on the front page it would have at least drawn a red flag for me . by the second page i'm already buying the book because I saw cgc 8.0 without a purple tag and no notations on the front page...jeesh...I'm stupid not crazy. I just felt for novice buyers that this whole green label thing is too dangerous and they should have to list something like the ebay one on the front page. if he did now..great...he should have the first time too.

on a fair note...it's listed from june so he never pulled it after i bought it...maybe they wait for payment confirmation...I honestly don't know ..but it's order number 161229 ...11:45 pm sat night...it's still in my account and go take a look at the front page of comic link compared to the listing on ebay..big difference

yes oak ..it is..which is why I was so excited...a buddy told me books have been selling for half of guide unless key books for the last few years so i figured it was the right price. thanks for the light mediation..I already spent 2 days fired up cause I was tired and rushed without the proper knowledge to spend 2500 and I don't enjoy being called a liar..I was just trying to figure out my options knowing the book was on the way. I mean, christ, the book looks blue on my screen because I thought it had to be blue if it wasn't purple.

because they were still awaiting shipment from the seller after taking my credit card info....they said they would not refund the purchase because it was binding. i wrote to the president and he said he would cancel the order. I offered a 100.00 restocking fee for their trouble and he said it wasn't necessary. the flaw was not written on the front page..only the picture..which as I explained...i was not familiar with green. I also stated that it was clearly written in the detail page when purchasing and i missed it because of my assumptions about

cgc graded books. If he relisted it properly then they asked him to...i was on comic link like you said . i asked you guys about restoring it and fair market value assuming the book was on it's way as i was so told by the company. why it's on ebay i can only guess they contacted the seller today after the president emailed me (or before) and told him the order wasn't going through...or maybe it was always on there... either way, I am grateful to the group for assisting me and less grateful to the guy who's insinuating I wasn't in deep mess over this purchase because if the president didn't take the time to resolve this it would still be on it's way to me and id be out 2500.00. however...since you're quite qualified at research...why don't you find my purchase agreement and the binding contract with it....maybe you could also see when it was listed because i'm assuming as of sat night midnight..it was removed after i foolishly bought it. But really....I don't know why I'm trying to defend my previous statements...i bought a book...it wasn't stated on the front page (just a pic)...I went back over that page a dozen times that night to make sure... and they had my credit card and wouldn't cancel it while awaiting it's arrival. the fact that it wasn't in my hand was irrelevant. i owned it. I needed to figure out what I was going to do with it. Was I smart...no...was i screwed...yes..did it get resolved at 1pm (or so) today..thankfully yes....

Comiclink doesn't remove their listings after an item has been sold, so the link I provided above is exactly what you'd seen if you'd bothered to click into the item description before blindly hitting the buy button on a $2,500 book.

Image%202014-09-08%20at%205.50.02%20PM.png