• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Black Panther official movie thread (11/3/17)
1 1

1,416 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, comic_memories said:
1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $936,662,225 2015
2 Avatar Fox $760,507,625 2009^
3 Titanic Par. $659,363,944 1997^
4 Jurassic World Uni. $652,270,625 2015
5 Marvel's The Avengers BV $623,357,910 2012
6 Star Wars: The Last Jedi BV $619,140,525 2017
7 The Dark Knight WB $534,858,444 2008^
8 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story BV $532,177,324 2016
9 Black Panther BV $506,427,710 2018

#7 and >$1BB WW on Saturday

Edited by paperheart

On 18/02/2018 at 8:46 PM, Drummy said:

The CGI is spotty and at times a bit cartoony

On an IMAX screen, the background characters in the first challenge scene were especially fake-looking.

2 hours ago, comic_memories said:
1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $936,662,225 2015
2 Avatar Fox $760,507,625 2009^
3 Titanic Par. $659,363,944 1997^
4 Jurassic World Uni. $652,270,625 2015
5 Marvel's The Avengers BV $623,357,910 2012
6 Star Wars: The Last Jedi BV $619,140,525 2017
7 The Dark Knight WB $534,858,444 2008^
8 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story BV $532,177,324 2016
9 Black Panther BV $506,427,710 2018

Yet when you reference Box Office Mojo's USD Inflation-Adjusted numbers, incredible how some of these big movies get bumped down the list. Yet something like Star Wars is such a massive attraction, it still places more than once.

etRAWNA.png

On 21/02/2018 at 4:03 PM, Gatsby77 said:

I actually want to order the Black Panther Epic Collection: Panther's Rage.

It collects FF 52-53 and Jungle Action 6-24.

Jungle Action # 6 is the first appearance of Killmonger, and apparently notes that he grew up in Harlem (vs. Oakland in the movie) and that he holds a doctorate in engineering from MIT.

I read 'Panther's Rage' over the last weekend in the digital Epic Collection.

An excellent, underrated Don McGregor story.

That said, be prepared for some extremely florid, over-descriptive writing if you're unfamiliar with his style.

Edited by Ken Aldred

14 hours ago, szavisca said:

Saw it today and I'd give it a 4.5 out of 10, and call it one of the weaker entries of all the Marvel movies.  It was pretty much what I expected, a good piece of Hollywood fluff with decent special effects and action sequences and really not much more than that.

I find the notion that this movie is game-changing, original, or will have any lasting cultural impact utterly laughable.  It was basically Coming to America+Final Fantasy+Any Super Hero movie and that's pretty much it.  Watchable once but nothing special, and not something I'll be talking to anyone about after this post and not something I could ever see myself watching again.

I've watched a lot of Super Hero movies, pretty much all of them,....and I can't remember women, as a whole cast and without exception, being portrayed as this strong, intelligent, independent and heroic.

Even in Wonder Woman, they made it clear to draw a line between Amazon women and every other woman as being weak. 

As well, aside from the main character being royalty of an African nation, it's unlike Coming to America entirely. 

26 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Yet when you reference Box Office Mojo's USD Inflation-Adjusted numbers, incredible how some of these big movies get bumped down the list. Yet something like Star Wars is such a massive attraction, it still places more than once.

etRAWNA.png

Wow.  I never realized Gone With the Wind had an adjusted domestic gross of nearly $2B(!!!)  That is an astronomical figure.  I understand that the shelf life of movies in theaters back then was much MUCH longer, but the number of screens it must have shown on also had to be much MUCH lower (especially when you take into account that it's like a 3-4 hour movie which reduces the number of daily showings).  Plus there was that whole Great Depression thing where you would think people would prioritize needs over entertainment.

6 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Wow.  I never realized Gone With the Wind had an adjusted domestic gross of nearly $2B(!!!)  That is an astronomical figure.  I understand that the shelf life of movies in theaters back then was much MUCH longer, but the number of screens it must have shown on also had to be much MUCH lower (especially when you take into account that it's like a 3-4 hour movie which reduces the number of daily showings).  Plus there was that whole Great Depression thing where you would think people would prioritize needs over entertainment.

When you remove television, video games, the internet, etc from the equation you're left with extremely limited entertainment options. Maybe a movie or two, maybe a stage show if you lived in a town large enough to offer those options. 

15 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

And that was with an immature theater market (as you pointed out). Especially with an extremely limited overseas market compared to the monster we have today.

11 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

When you remove television, video games, the internet, etc from the equation you're left with extremely limited entertainment options. Maybe a movie or two, maybe a stage show if you lived in a town large enough to offer those options. 

Back in my day...:preach:

Just kidding.  :p But in all seriousness, I remember when Titanic crossed the $1B mark, there was so much media attention about how much money it was making.  It just really puts into perspective how wildly successful Gone With The Wind was.

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

And that was with an immature theater market (as you pointed out). Especially with an extremely limited overseas market compared to the monster we have today.

It makes me wonder what Gone With The Wind's adjusted worldwide gross would be.  I'm guessing the worldwide haul was small because of the absence of a large international market the way we have today.

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

It makes me wonder what Gone With The Wind's adjusted worldwide gross would be.  I'm guessing the worldwide haul was small because of the absence of a large international market the way we have today.

Bingo! That BOM captures the full market. So for that period that's what the box office could bring with a wildly successful film.

That's why depending on how far back you go with comparisons, it gets tougher to accomplish. There are so many variables between decades. But especially the maturity of the overall box office.

3 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I've watched a lot of Super Hero movies, pretty much all of them,....and I can't remember women, as a whole cast and without exception, being portrayed as this strong, intelligent, independent and heroic.

Even in Wonder Woman, they made it clear to draw a line between Amazon women and every other woman as being weak. 

As well, aside from the main character being royalty of an African nation, it's unlike Coming to America entirely. 

Hmm I have to wonder if we watched the same movie and we’ll pribably have to just agree to disagree.

Ill grant the Coming to America comparison may not be the best.  That movie was 100 times funnier and a infinitely more rewatchable. Classic.  I must have seen it 50 times now.

I’m not sure which women you think were portrayed in an original fashion as strong or intelligent... I saw a bunch of scantily clad very fit women who kicked @&$@ in close combat... which is kinda hot and I have no problem with. 

But the kings guard didn’t seem very progressive or brave as they caved to a madman, all in the name of defending the traditions of a non-democratic sexist patriarchal monarchy.

The kings sister as the Q character felt a bit forced and unconvincing too.

If marvel promoters, critics, and fans are going to try to claim this movie is groundbreaking, different, and culturally relevant they’re going to have to prove it in some way other than just saying it has a black super hero therefor it is all those things.

This movie had no grounding in reality and the black panther could have been any ethnicity and the movie would have been essentially the same... which is fine, and a good thing... it was a decent 2 hour piece of escapism which is all I need from a movie.  I don’t see it as anything that could possibly make anyone think differently about the world we live in.

And since you brought up Wonder Woman, I think they did a far better job in that one of taking a character with a really fantastical background and seeing how they would exist in the real world than Black Panther did.  Wonder Woman was one for the ages ... BP is one for a lazy Saturday afternoon on basic cable. ( btw I  generally hate all the DC movies and love the Marvel ones).

Just now, szavisca said:

Hmm I have to wonder if we watched the same movie and we’ll pribably have to just agree to disagree.

Ill grant the Coming to America comparison may not be the best.  That movie was 100 times funnier and a infinitely more rewatchable. Classic.  I must have seen it 50 times now.

I’m not sure which women you think were portrayed in an original fashion as strong or intelligent... I saw a bunch of scantily clad very fit women who kicked @&$@ in close combat... which is kinda hot and I have no problem with. 

But the kings guard didn’t seem very progressive or brave as they caved to a madman, all in the name of defending the traditions of a non-democratic sexist patriarchal monarchy.

The kings sister as the Q character felt a bit forced and unconvincing too.

If marvel promoters, critics, and fans are going to try to claim this movie is groundbreaking, different, and culturally relevant they’re going to have to prove it in some way other than just saying it has a black super hero therefor it is all those things.

This movie had no grounding in reality and the black panther could have been any ethnicity and the movie would have been essentially the same... which is fine, and a good thing... it was a decent 2 hour piece of escapism which is all I need from a movie.  I don’t see it as anything that could possibly make anyone think differently about the world we live in.

And since you brought up Wonder Woman, I think they did a far better job in that one of taking a character with a really fantastical background and seeing how they would exist in the real world than Black Panther did.  Wonder Woman was one for the ages ... BP is one for a lazy Saturday afternoon on basic cable. ( btw I  generally hate all the DC movies and love the Marvel ones).

Yes, Coming to America was 100 times funnier...I'd wager it was 1,000 times funnier...perhaps a million times...given that it was a comedy and Black Panther isn't. 

Scantily Clad??? 

5aa0594165a88_kingsguard.thumb.jpg.1162bdeff3835fc6148f7e9245087008.jpg

Yes I can see their hands and their heads. Racy!!!!

The fact that the King's guard is entirely female is kind of what you're looking past in terms of progressive.

5 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Yes, Coming to America was 100 times funnier...I'd wager it was 1,000 times funnier...perhaps a million times...given that it was a comedy and Black Panther isn't. 

Scantily Clad??? 

5aa0594165a88_kingsguard.thumb.jpg.1162bdeff3835fc6148f7e9245087008.jpg

Yes I can see their hands and their heads. Racy!!!!

The fact that the King's guard is entirely female is kind of what you're looking past in terms of progressive.

Tightly clad would be a better descriptor.  None of the women in BP struck me as particularly strong, brave, or pioneering in a realistic way.  Shrug.  Agree to disagree?

1 minute ago, szavisca said:

Tightly clad would be a better descriptor.  None of the women in BP struck me as particularly strong, brave, or pioneering in a realistic way.  Shrug.  Agree to disagree?

I guess, if you throw away Okoye throwing herself into battle against automatic weapons with nothing but a spear, staring down a charging Rhino, being willing to turn her back on the love of her life (I think she called him that), to defend her honor and Wakanda, and facing impossible odds in hand to hand combat in the final battle but never hesitating to do so anyway...and that being just one of the female characters....I could see how you could come away feeling that way. 

Edited by comix4fun

3 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I guess, if you throw away Okoye throwing herself into battle against automatic weapons with nothing but a spear, staring down a charging Rhino, being willing to turn her back on the love of her life (I think she called him that), to defend her honor and Wakanda, and facing impossible odds in hand to hand combat in the final battle but never hesitating to do so anyway...and that being just one of the female characters....I could see how you could come away feeling that way. 

Sure I can grant you that one, but my contention isn’t that there were zero strong admirable women portrayed in BP... just that this movie on the whole was  fairly bland, not especially original, and not really thought provoking or a cultural phenomenon as some are trying to pass it off as.

Just now, szavisca said:

Sure I can grant you that one, but my contention isn’t that there were zero strong admirable women portrayed in BP... just that this movie on the whole was  fairly bland, not especially original, and not really thought provoking or a cultural phenomenon as some are trying to pass it off as.

I think that stuff will work itself out over time. The initial gleam has to come off the film and those who experienced it. Then we'll know. 

My point was that the portrayal of women in this film is the most dominant role, across the entire cast, that I've ever seen in super hero film. That's the part I thought was original and striking. I came away from this film feeling that they were the dominant characters in the film, and in the culture that was being shown. Not a damsel in distress to be found. The dudes are the ones getting locked up, kidnapped, needing rescuing, etc. and the ladies of Wakanda were there every time. That's a big step forward for the genre.