• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Bronze Age Appreciation Thread
7 7

403 posts in this topic

I doubt it was part of any find.  I just think there's more high grade copies because it's not a very popular issue to begin with and many copies laid untouched in numerous collections for years before surfacing.  Although the Kaluta Bats can be sub-genre onto themselves, this is still not one of the more popular covers among that group.  That attention goes to Bats 242, Tec 423/424, and maybe one or two others. 

Yeah.  Saw that when it was first posted.  Not surprised at the final hammer price actually.  Tough black cover.  Thought about pursuing the upgrade myself, but I thought it was just too soft looking for a 9.4 and not all that much better than my 9.0.  Certainly a lot spine ticks for a 9.4.  

This is a lousy pic from the original seller of my copy with a lot of artifacts (white speckles) from the scanner, but you can still get a sense of how the book looks, which is pretty darn good in hand.  I would have gave it at least a 9.2.

Batman217.jpg

I've seen #237 at HPB sometimes, I agree cool cover, but I didn't pick it up due to knowing nothing about it :shy: Anything I should know?

Anyway, Congrats! looks to be in great condition :) 

22 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've seen #237 at HPB sometimes, I agree cool cover, but I didn't pick it up due to knowing nothing about it :shy: Anything I should know?

Anyway, Congrats! looks to be in great condition :) 

It's the first appearance of the Reaper and what I consider a Neal Adams classic cover.

15 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

It's the first appearance of the Reaper and what I consider a Neal Adams classic cover.

HPB wanted $40 but it wasn't nearly as good of shape lolI agree cool cover, nice to hear it was Neal Adams 

HPB is crazy sometimes (half price books)

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

HPB wanted $40 but it wasn't nearly as good of shape lolI agree cool cover, nice to hear it was Neal Adams 

HPB is crazy sometimes (half price books)

$40 is on the high side if it's not at least a 7.0 in my opinion. I bought a mid grade copy for $25 from Dale Roberts. 

I've heard about a lot of scores at HPB, but I never find gold at my local one. Always over priced for anything before the 80's. 

My local comic shop has had one on their wall for 5+ years for $189.99. Looks a 6.0 at best. 

Edited by punksdropdirtysrh

1 minute ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

$40 is on the high side if it's not at least a 7.0 in my opinion. I bought a mid grade copy for $25 from Dale Roberts. 

I've heard about a lot of scores at HPB, but I never find gold at my local one. Always over priced for anything before the 80's. 

Mine is pretty much the same, overpriced BA and SA. I've had a few MA scores and some MA I've missed because I didn't know that specific issue's value. They still have a Killing Joke with the yellow that means it's like the 6th printing set at $50. It's close enough to me that I go check it out though. I've heard people make good money selling SA and BA drek there though.

On 7/5/2017 at 0:27 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Mine is pretty much the same, overpriced BA and SA. I've had a few MA scores and some MA I've missed because I didn't know that specific issue's value. They still have a Killing Joke with the yellow that means it's like the 6th printing set at $50. It's close enough to me that I go check it out though. I've heard people make good money selling SA and BA drek there though.

Yeah agreed on HPB and their overpricing. However about a month ago somebody dumped a small BA collection at my local HPB and shockingly they were priced very reasonable. I picked up Batman 237 for $25 and it is about a 6.0...:takeit:. Also scooped up some Flash, Mr. Miracle and Superman issues as well.

Edited by FutureFlash

On 7/3/2017 at 1:13 PM, Brian48 said:

Yeah.  Saw that when it was first posted.  Not surprised at the final hammer price actually.  Tough black cover.  Thought about pursuing the upgrade myself, but I thought it was just too soft looking for a 9.4 and not all that much better than my 9.0.  Certainly a lot spine ticks for a 9.4.  

This is a lousy pic from the original seller of my copy with a lot of artifacts (white speckles) from the scanner, but you can still get a sense of how the book looks, which is pretty darn good in hand.  I would have gave it at least a 9.2.

Batman217.jpg

That is one of my favorite SA Batman covers.  I would love to own the OA for this one.

On 7/3/2017 at 3:13 PM, Brian48 said:

Batman217.jpg

Great cover & the beginning of a great new era for Robin.

Edited by Flash & Fury