• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wonder Woman official movie thread (6/23/17)
6 6

1,526 posts in this topic

Why Wonder Woman Is the Superman the DCEU Needed

wonder-woman-no-mans-land-slice-600x200.

A righteous and supernaturally powerful hero emerges to help save mankind from evil, selflessly throwing themselves into the fray and inspiring others with love and courage to be bold and fearless. Though that has historically described Superman, in the recent DECU movies, it has instead been Wonder Woman. In her solo film, Diana Prince (Gal Gadot) becomes the kind of Messianic figure Superman has been in the past, yet one who does not come off as a cold god, but someone who embraces her humanity.

That is the beautiful simplicity at the core of Wonder Woman. Unlike Clark Kent (Henry Cavill) in Man of Steel, Diana wholeheartedly embraces her fate as the savior of Earth. She leaves her island paradise willingly and with purpose, with her constant refrain for Steve Trevor (Chris Pine) to take her to the war, to the front, to where things are at their worst. She seeks out the darkness so that she can bring hope and light to it. Diana is not burdened by her purpose and doesn’t shun her abilities — she relishes in both, creating an un-apologetically focused and determined heroine.

There’s a certain balance that’s essential for these characters to be at their most successful — a vulnerability that has to exist in order for us to feel a kinship even as we stand in awe. Diana Prince has otherworldly looks and abilities, but there’s a purity to her as she enters the world of men, one that allows her to have an unshakable focus in her mission to destroy the film’s villain, Ares. And yet, she still stops to listen to the story of a woman in the trenches who cries out for help, and without hesitation heroically shields the Allied troops as she takes fire from the German trenches. She helps to save a village, never pausing to consider the tactics of it (as Steve Trevor is forever trying to get her to do), but going full-throttle, motivated by a righteous indignation. Diana does the right thing because it is right.

12 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

:gossip: Your favorite Forbes.com reviewer was the one so concerned with comparing Wonder Woman to Iron Man. Like it mattered.

:gossip: And using a Deflation Calculator, $103MM is $92.6MM - not $84MM.

Yeah - I got that.

But just because he's my favorite Forbes reviewer doesn't mean he's right in this case.

I mean, at this point comparing 2017 releases to 2008 releases (esp. the international markets, which are not at all comparable) is ridiculous without adjusting for inflation.

Otherwise, when does it end?

Just because Batman v. Superman made more than $330 million domestic doesn't mean it made more than Batman (1989)'s $251 million.

And I disagree about the deflation calculator - we're not talking about the GDP deflator, but about ticket prices -- and I used Box Office Mojo's tool - which compares avg. ticket prices of $8.84 today to avg. ticket prices of $7.18 in 2008 - hence $83.9 million.

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Yeah - I got that.

But just because he's my favorite Forbes reviewer doesn't mean he's right in this case.

I mean, at this point comparing 2017 releases to 2008 releases (esp. the international markets, which are not at all comparable) is ridiculous without adjusting for inflation.

Otherwise, when does it end?

You asked. I answered. It was an odd comparison just to fill article space to initially detract from Wonder Woman's success. Not a surprise, though, after reading his previous DCEU reviews.

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Just because Batman v. Superman made more than $330 million domestic doesn't mean it made more than Batman (1989)'s $251 million.

And I disagree about the deflation calculator - we're not talking about the GDP deflator, but about ticket prices -- and I used Box Office Mojo's tool - which compares avg. ticket prices of $8.84 today to avg. ticket prices of $7.18 in 2008 - hence $83.9 million.

The challenge with the Box Office Mojo assumption model is it tries to 1) Assume a certain amount of IMAX and 3-D theaters, and 2) Assume like USD. Where it leads to a uneven assumption model is it doesn't factor in population differences (304M in 2008 vs. 327M in 2017), economic development differences leading to theater distribution, and economic stability leading to equal standing comparisons. So at least with inflated USD comparisons, it factors in economic differences. So the number is $92.6MM if we took Wonder Woman back in time.

7 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Gone with the wind, anyone? (Old news to you guys I'm sure)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Pretty impressive that even adjusted for inflation, The Force Awakens still manages to nearly crack the Top 10, considering that the Top 10 are all unqualified timeless classics. (Well, Dr. Zhivago is kind of a snooze, and I love David Lean, but still...)

38 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Pretty impressive that even adjusted for inflation, The Force Awakens still manages to nearly crack the Top 10, considering that the Top 10 are all unqualified timeless classics. (Well, Dr. Zhivago is kind of a snooze, and I love David Lean, but still...)

It definitely confirms some of the more recent massive hits are truly as big as they come across. Though those early movies - even without a more mature international market - were the tremendous successes they are assumed to be.

Tom Cruise's THE MUMMY Won't Eclipse WONDER WOMAN's Box Office Might This Weekend

These days, Tom Cruise is much more of an international box office draw than he is at home in the U.S. Case in point,  Jack Reacher: Never Go Back earned 63.8% of its revenue from international markets.  Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation attributed 71% of its worldwide gross to foreign markets and Edge of Tomorrow was even higher at 73%.  

Box office analysts initially predicted a $40 million opening weekend for The Mummy but those estimates have fallen off in the last few weeks and predictions are now hovering around $35 million.

With Wonder Woman predicted for roughly a 50% drop in its second weekend,  that means it should gross about $50 million - more than enough to secure first place.

I am curious to see if Wonder Woman drops by less than 50% due to word of mouth. We are going with some friends and their kids this coming weekend, and I expect that there will be plenty of others with the same plan due to kids sports on opening weekend. lol 

Finally had the chance to see Wonder Woman last night. I thought it was really good. I can see why people consider it the best DCEU movie so far.

I didn't have a huge concern with the third act, other than the way Ares finally appears. But he also has some wild scenes, like when his armor forms around him. I thought that was an interesting touch. And the way he tries to influence Diana with his suggestive voice, trying to make her a creature of war.

Overall for me, an 8.5 out of 10.0 and I would rank the DCEU:

1) Wonder Woman

2) Batman v Superman: the Ultimate Cut

3) The Man of Steel

4) Batman v Superman: Theatrical Edition

5) Suicide Squad: Extended Edition

6) Suicide Squad: Theatrical Edition

Edited by Bosco685

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Finally had the chance to see Wonder Woman last night. I thought it was really good. I can see why people consider it the best DCEU movie so far.

I didn't have a huge concern with the third act, other than the way Ares finally appears. But he also has some wild scenes, like when his armor forms around him. I thought that was an interesting touch. And the way he tries to influence Diana with his suggestive voice, trying to make her a creature of war.

Overall for me, an 8.5 out of 10.0 and I would rank the DCEU:

1) Wonder Woman

2) Batman v Superman: the Ultimate Cut

3) The Man of Steel

4) Batman v Superman: Theatrical Edition

5) Suicide Squad: Extended Edition

6) Suicide Squad: Theatrical Edition

Batman Begins and Dark Knight?

Whether the movie is good or great, Wonder Woman transcends it.

Even if we have to take inspiration from fiction, because the world is so terrible, but in the end, we will have to do it ourselves, what she does, what she represents. And I speak from the heart, because I live in Manchester.

Charlie Chaplin

“I'm sorry, but I don't want to be an emperor. That's not my business. I don't want to rule or conquer anyone. I should like to help everyone if possible; Jew, Gentile, black man, white. We all want to help one another. Human beings are like that. We want to live by each other's happiness, not by each other's misery. We don't want to hate and despise one another. In this world there is room for everyone, and the good earth is rich and can provide for everyone. The way of life can be free and beautiful, but we have lost the way. Greed has poisoned men's souls, has barricaded the world with hate, has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed. We have developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in. Machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made us cynical; our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery, we need humanity. More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost. The airplane and the radio have brought us closer together. The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness in men; cries out for universal brotherhood; for the unity of us all. Even now my voice is reaching millions throughout the world, millions of despairing men, women, and little children, victims of a system that makes men torture and imprison innocent people. To those who can hear me, I say, do not despair. The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed, the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish. Soldiers! Don't give yourselves to brutes, men who despise you, enslave you; who regiment your lives, tell you what to do, what to think and what to feel! Who drill you, diet you, treat you like cattle, use you as cannon fodder. Don't give yourselves to these unnatural men - machine men with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not machines, you are not cattle, you are men! You have the love of humanity in your hearts! You don't hate! Only the unloved hate; the unloved and the unnatural. Soldiers! Don't fight for slavery! Fight for liberty! In the seventeenth chapter of St. Luke, it is written that the kingdom of God is within man, not one man nor a group of men, but in all men! In you! You, the people, have the power, the power to create machines, the power to create happiness! You, the people, have the power to make this life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure. Then in the name of democracy, let us use that power. Let us all unite. Let us fight for a new world, a decent world that will give men a chance to work, that will give youth a future and old age a security. By the promise of these things, brutes have risen to power. But they lie! They do not fulfill that promise. They never will! Dictators free themselves but they enslave the people. Now let us fight to fulfill that promise. Let us fight to free the world! To do away with national barriers! To do away with greed, with hate and intolerance! Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where science and progress will lead to all men's happiness. Soldiers, in the name of democracy, let us all unite!”
Charlie Chaplin

Edited by Flex Mentallo

18 minutes ago, piper said:

Batman Begins and Dark Knight?

These are so unique (like Mr. Mentallo pointed out), it's hard to rank these against the more recent movies. But if I had to do a forced ranking, it would probably look like this.

1) The Dark Knight

2) Batman Begins

3) Wonder Woman

4) The Dark Knight Rises - on par with - Batman v Superman: The Ultimate Cut

On 6/5/2017 at 11:15 PM, kav said:

See DC what happens when you toss out that lame angst stuff?  Successful movie!  It's not rocket science.

Zack was too busy with his epic train wreck B vs S to mess this one up.  So glad that he was busy!

Edited by Lucky Baru