• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, kevhtx said:

Just got my grades for my Xmen gold and blues CGC SS (signed at Megacon). 10 books. All 9.8. Woohoo! I had 18 books on that invoice actually (some skottie young too). 17 of 18 were 9.8 and only 1 was 9.6). Dammmmn

Congrats!

Do you think that they are still grading tight? or do you see any consistency in grading?

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Congrats!

Do you think that they are still grading tight? or do you see any consistency in grading?

Since May or so, Ive been getting a lot more 9.8's on moderns. Ive even been getting 9.8's with grading notes. So, it seems to me that they lightened up slightly on them. I sub a lot of books so I have a pretty big sample too. 

As for consistency, I do feel they are consistent across my invoices. Im not seeing one invoice being graded harsh and another being graded lighter. Toward the beginning of the year, I did feel like they were being extra hard on moderns and it was hard to get a 9.8, but seems to have cooled a bit. It could just be my experience with my books/invoices. Ive heard others say they have similar experience, but Ive heard some others say they have not. So, go figure.

EDIT: Also, I think my eye is getting better as time goes by too when sending books to get signed and purchasing them. This invoice for JSC books had no grading notes at all and it was not pressed.

Edited by kevhtx

10 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Since May or so, Ive been getting a lot more 9.8's on moderns. Ive even been getting 9.8's with grading notes. So, it seems to me that they lightened up slightly on them. I sub a lot of books so I have a pretty big sample too. 

As for consistency, I do feel they are consistent across my invoices. Im not seeing one invoice being graded harsh and another being graded lighter. Toward the beginning of the year, I did feel like they were being extra hard on moderns and it was hard to get a 9.8, but seems to have cooled a bit. It could just be my experience with my books/invoices. Ive heard others say they have similar experience, but Ive heard some others say they have not. So, go figure.

EDIT: Also, I think my eye is getting better as time goes by too when sending books to get signed and purchasing them. This invoice for JSC books had no grading notes at all and it was not pressed.

Much Thanks :) good to hear!

JSC just released his variants for Astonishing X-Men #1..  Kinda "meh" to me.  I am curious to see the con exclusive for this set though...

2017-07-12_9-20-38.jpg

Edited by Praxis52

Just now, Praxis52 said:

JSC just released his variants for Astonishing X-Men #1..  Kinda "meh" to me.

2017-07-12_9-20-38.jpg

I like A. Glad that's the cheapest one. I wonder if this is going to be the mystical 4th Convention exclusive D cover issue?

14 minutes ago, Tnexus said:

I like A. Glad that's the cheapest one. I wonder if this is going to be the mystical 4th Convention exclusive D cover issue?

There will be... When JSC announced the whole luncheon event, the email stated 4 con exclusives... So, we know 3 (White Phoenix, MJ as Vision, & Spider-Man with Gwen).  

18 hours ago, Praxis52 said:

JSC just released his variants for Astonishing X-Men #1..  Kinda "meh" to me.  I am curious to see the con exclusive for this set though...

2017-07-12_9-20-38.jpg

And the print runs keep getting bigger. Cover A 3,450. Cover B 3,050. Cover C 1,700. These are not really that exclusive anymore. The con exclusive will probably have a print run of at least 1,000 maybe even 1,500. $110 for a set seems insane. If you're raising the print runs then the price should come down. 

7 minutes ago, Michael Lamm said:

And the print runs keep getting bigger. Cover A 3,450. Cover B 3,050. Cover C 1,700. These are not really that exclusive anymore. The con exclusive will probably have a print run of at least 1,000 maybe even 1,500. $110 for a set seems insane. If you're raising the print runs then the price should come down. 

"If you're raising the print runs then the price should come down."

Yes, and as with Peter Parker, ... #1, covers A, B, and C unsigned are $90. At a perhaps soon to be reached price point, I'll have to get off the J. Scott Campbell train due to insufficient funds and call it a day for my Campbell cover collection.

2 hours ago, Michael Lamm said:

Agreed...

Dont get me wrong I love JSC, I have over 800 of his comics (covers) but, his exclusive covers seem to be getting cookie cutter in appearance-very similar in appearance. And with the increase in run size and the Convention only issues (which really bugs me that you can't buy the full set anymore from his site) is making me rethink what use to be automatic purchases on my part.

...just venting, thx

2 hours ago, Imagine13 said:

Agreed...

Dont get me wrong I love JSC, I have over 800 of his comics (covers) but, his exclusive covers seem to be getting cookie cutter in appearance-very similar in appearance. And with the increase in run size and the Convention only issues (which really bugs me that you can't buy the full set anymore from his site) is making me rethink what use to be automatic purchases on my part.

...just venting, thx

Sadly I agree. It's getting pretty expensive to be a Campbell collector, not to say a completionist. Add the fee for international shipping and that they decided not to combine shipping anymore and it goes crazy... it is bad for my wallet. The con exclusives are a pain, too. I like them and would be paying resellers elevated prices.

Sigh...

19 hours ago, Polirer said:

Yep I am skipping this one, got the other three con exclusives. This just doesn't appeal to me.

I think you're missing the point - I think there's some "Barbie" appeal going on here. :grin: