• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, ygogolak said:

The number of JSC "exclusives" this year?

You know what you're probably right. With all the cover that JSC that produced (variants and exclusive) , I wouldn't be surprised if this is the 86th cover he made  hm

I love campbells work but i no longer buy any of his variants.  I feel like he does wayyyy too mant variants now and the art is getting less appealing to me.  Arent the prices on some previously hot item books he had starting to drop now?  Ive seen a few covers of his that were selling $800 plus a year ago but are now just sitting on ebay. I think there is a j scott campbell burn out going on now. 

Just now, ygogolak said:

Really pushing this lunch hard. Must not have gotten as many takers for a $1,500 chicken salad sandwich as they thought they would.

When people are already tapped out from spending a fortune just to get to SDCC and budgeting to buy other stuff, its a hard ask to shell out that kind of dough. There are so many things to spend money on. 

58 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Really pushing this lunch hard. Must not have gotten as many takers for a $1,500 chicken salad sandwich as they thought they would.

At least in the last email he included CGC in the process, which is even more money to have them graded lol but if you were say going to get 10 things signed "anyway" then go for it.... basically, if you live there and are going and of course have $1500 meh I think that it's cool that they're going to put the "remark" label that it came from the luncheon on the cgc label ... :) 

54 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

When people are already tapped out from spending a fortune just to get to SDCC and budgeting to buy other stuff, its a hard ask to shell out that kind of dough. There are so many things to spend money on. 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

4 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

he should just sell remarks directly

(shrug)

He did for DK III, or for a while, and they were priced as low as $500, and as high as $1200 O.o 

1 hour ago, kevhtx said:

If you have $1,500 to spend on a "lunch", I don't think it's a budget concern.

20 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

No, I think it still is. Yes, there are those that have unlimited funds and its not a problem for them. But, when you look at other cons and the "special" packages that they offer (like Frank Miller, Jim Lee, Stan Lee and so on), I don't remember one being this expensive.

Plus, this con more than others, is a destination event calling for people to allocate more money towards many things versus spending a large chunk on one lunch with an artist. Im sure there will be some that go and enjoy it though.

Edited by kevhtx

22 hours ago, ygogolak said:

If it was a full blown sketch on a blank and not a remark , I bet he would get more takers. 

22 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
23 hours ago, ygogolak said:

At least in the last email he included CGC in the process, which is even more money to have them graded lol but if you were say going to get 10 things signed "anyway" then go for it.... basically, if you live there and are going and of course have $1500 meh I think that it's cool that they're going to put the "remark" label that it came from the luncheon on the cgc label ... :) 

23 hours ago, kevhtx said:

I agree, I think they swung as missed on the price point.  He's got a TON of fans now who love his art and will pay $$ for it, but I'm not sure there's so much EXTRA draw in terms of meeting with for an extended period of time and/or eating with him.  He seems like a nice sociable guy, but he's not going to regale you with lurid tales of the past like Jim Steranko talking about hanging out with John Romita and Herb Trimpe in the 70's, or about nostalgic stuff about how he made up your favorite characters like Stan Lee. 

The actual process of drawing and art is so much more technical and individual now, that I'm not sure that many people would be interested other than actual artists who want to talk about the actual craft of drawing.  But very few of THOSE people can afford to go. 

I think most of the people who can go would rather pay $2000 for mind-shattering original art than pay $1500 for pretty good original art and a steak a nice british guy.  You're probably not going to tell your grand kids about the time you had lunch with JSC.  But what do I know? Maybe there's enough rich guys who don't care.

34 minutes ago, jreezy said:

Thanks for sharing! Did anyone here sign up for the lunch? If so I'd like to hear your experience and see some photos! 

+1