• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

I got a lot of books signed at ECCC last year (about 18-20). I thought it was like $20 sig fee and maybe a $10 witness fee, but I cant remember exactly. I dont remember it being that high at all.

It definitely went up soon after ECCC, but I thought it went from $30 total to $40 total (around SDCC). 

Just now, kevhtx said:

I got a lot of books signed at ECCC last year (about 18-20). I thought it was like $20 sig fee and maybe a $10 witness fee, but I cant remember exactly. I dont remember it being that high at all.

It definitely went up soon after ECCC, but I thought it went from $30 total to $40 total (around SDCC). 

$30 is what Campbell was charging at this SDCC. If you were charged a $10 up-charge on top of that then that's the agreement you made with the Facilitator who handled your books.

13 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

What's a Shame is that I've bought books off Campbell's site that did not have coa's....

2 examples...

Xmen 92#1 psylocke covers

And 

Gwenpool #1 Paris variant. 

Also 

Gwenpool annual #1 ....

:(

I just got my grades today for 3 campbell signed books:

X-men 92  9.8

Ultimate Spider-man 150  9.8

Danger Girl Preview  9.6

woohoo!

1 minute ago, BeachBum said:

$30 is what Campbell was charging at this SDCC. If you were charged a $10 up-charge on top of that then that's the agreement you made with the Facilitator who handled your books.

No, I was at his booth (with CGC witness). Maybe it was just $20 total and not CGC fee. I cant remember exactly, but I dont remember it being as high as people are saying.

You are probably right though that I remember $40 at SDCC because I didnt go and the extra was probably facilitator fee. 

Just now, kevhtx said:

No, I was at his booth (with CGC witness). Maybe it was just $20 total and not CGC fee. I cant remember exactly, but I dont remember it being as high as people are saying.

You are probably right though that I remember $40 at SDCC because I didnt go and the extra was probably facilitator fee. 

If it was ECCC 2017 then it was still $20 - It was $30 starting at SDCC 2017 which was later (Peter Parker & Astonishing releases)

1 minute ago, BeachBum said:

If it was ECCC 2017 then it was still $20 - It was $30 starting at SDCC 2017 which was later (Peter Parker & Astonishing releases)

Yep, it was. He surprisingly showed up for a couple hours or so after taking the wrong flight.

18 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

What price difference is the question I am asking.

I was not a SDCC to see anything. Don't even know if he was there. Are you saying he hasn't charged for CGC witness signatures vs. non-witnessed at shows before?

5 minutes ago, kevhtx said:
19 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

What's a Shame is that I've bought books off Campbell's site that did not have coa's....

2 examples...

Xmen 92#1 psylocke covers

And 

Gwenpool #1 Paris variant. 

Also 

Gwenpool annual #1 ....

:(

I just got my grades today for 3 campbell signed books:

X-men 92  9.8

Ultimate Spider-man 150  9.8

Danger Girl Preview  9.6

woohoo!

Awesome @kevhtx which xmen 92 did you get color/sketch? Both?

Oh and @BeachBum I meant that I bought the listed books off JSC's site and were signed with no coa, and while I appreciate that Campbell is willing to have a state of the art coa, it is not always offered...

3 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Just the color one. I never had the sketch one.

Glad you got it graded and it came back 9.8! My 2 raws signed were both of them, and the color has got color rub now at the spine, while the sketch signed still looks 9.8. With normal size books, jsc business is fairly good at packaging and delivering quality, I hope everyone's ASM #800 turns out well!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I got an ASM 800 Green Goblin and ASM 800 Red Goblin from someone at SDCC this year (books cost me $130 each and they charged me $35 for JSC signing fee). I dont know if that means JSC charged a CGC fee or the facilitator got more money out of me. They were 9.8 candidates so, ill be happy with them if they come back at that.

I suspect the JSC fee was $30 and the facilitator charged me $5 on top of that.

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Glad you got it graded and it came back 9.8! My 2 raws signed were both of them, and the color has got color rub now at the spine, while the sketch signed still looks 9.8. With normal size books, jsc business is fairly good at packaging and delivering quality, I hope everyone's ASM #800 turns out well!

Awesome. That sketch one is a great book.

I just got the email today for the Batman 50 JSC shipment. So, hopefully they come in great shape. Ive never gotten bad books from them, but Ive heard some people do. Almost all of mine have been 9.8 with a couple 9.6 trickled in there.

2 hours ago, BeachBum said:

From what I recall and you are more than welcome to ask them (contact customer service,) at SDCC and NYCC unsigned and signed exclusives were the same price when available. But I haven't seen an unsigned exclusive for awhile at those shows or the Campbell Roadshow (booths set up at cons other than SDCC & NYCC).

The rep I spoke with said that unsigned and signed exclusives were the same price.  And that they rarely sell unsigned books at their booth.  I think this is how they're able to navigate the argument about signing fees since all parties have to pay the signing fee if they want to submit to CGC.  The argument that the pre-signed books should have part of the signing fee baked in no longer holds water if both unsigned and signed books are sold for the same amount.  However, under that situation, the person who buys the unsigned copy ends up paying a premium since JSC's signature is assigned (on his website) a value of $20.  Unless in cases where he carries both signed and unsigned books, he reduces the price of the signed books to match that of the unsigned books (but I doubt he would leave money on the table like that).

I dunno, starting to be a lot of "what if's" and different hypotheticals.  Enough to make one's head spin.  :ohnoez:

1 hour ago, kevhtx said:

I just got the email today for the Batman 50 JSC shipment. So, hopefully they come in great shape. Ive never gotten bad books from them, but Ive heard some people do. Almost all of mine have been 9.8 with a couple 9.6 trickled in there.

I hope that trend of consistency holds up.  It's probably going to be difficult because the ASM#800 run had soooo many issues because of poor paper quality and the size of the book, but I would really like if most of my books came back 9.6 or 9.8.  :wishluck:

8 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I was not a SDCC to see anything. Don't even know if he was there. Are you saying he hasn't charged for CGC witness signatures vs. non-witnessed at shows before?

I never said that. I was asking about the price difference between unsigned and signed books for purchase.

9 hours ago, ygogolak said:

And there are a number that want a yellow label for their collection. Yet they are charged a different price.

This is like Hughes raising his prices because someone sold a piece he did. Now his price doesn't reflect the quality he's putting out.

Cut off your nose to spite your face is the idiom I believe. Just waiting for the circle to complete.

9 hours ago, BeachBum said:

What price difference is the question I am asking.

9 hours ago, ygogolak said:

37 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

I never said that. I was asking about the price difference between unsigned and signed books for purchase.

Not sure where you got confused but you didn't answer my question because you know he has charged a fee if you wanted a book witnessed in the past.

26 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Not sure where you got confused but you didn't answer my question because you know he has charged a fee if you wanted a book witnessed in the past.

Dude - I don't want to get into another one of these with you. I'm not confused (the least) You started talking about yellow labels - I was commenting/questioning on this - difference in price between unsigned raw books and signed raw books. I was asking a question originally, not making a statement. I've been doing this for over ten years, Campbell has been charging CGC fees for many of them which has now escalated to $30. His signing fee is common knowledge - no need to comment on the obvious. Your signing fee comment are your words, not mine.

Edited by BeachBum

5 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

Dude - I don't want to get into another one of these with you. I'm not confused (the least) You started talking about yellow labels - I was commenting/questioning on this - difference in price between unsigned raw books and signed raw books. I was asking a question originally, not making a statement. I've been doing this for over ten years, Campbell has been charging CGC fees for many of them which has now escalated to $30. His signing fee is common knowledge - no need to comment on the obvious. Your signing fee comment are your words, not mine.

Why did you quote me and respond when I posted this then?

10 hours ago, ygogolak said:

And there are a number that want a yellow label for their collection. Yet they are charged a different price.

This is like Hughes raising his prices because someone sold a piece he did. Now his price doesn't reflect the quality he's putting out.

Cut off your nose to spite your face is the idiom I believe. Just waiting for the circle to complete.

The "hot" artists are alienating their fans.

3 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Why did you quote me and respond when I posted this then?

The "hot" artists are alienating their fans.

Because I responded to you responding to my post.