• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERGIRL official TV show thread
3 3

2,562 posts in this topic

The last two episodes of the season were just so bad that I'm dropping the series. The dialogue was just so melodramatically cringe-worthy it's not funny. "I'm not...going to fight...my sister!" :facepalm: How many variants of that have they had recently? And could that broadcast speech by Supergirl to break the Myriad influence have been any sappier? And Supergirl and her sister having that long, languorous, loving sisterly dialogue as the seconds tick down to the amplified Myriad killing everyone on earth - uh, hello, really? And then she lifts the 100 million tons of Ft. Rozz, flies it into space, her sister zips off in SG's pod (??) and saves her and she wakes up like nothing happened, all in like 30 seconds. I mean, if you take off your fanboy/fangirl hats, this episode was objectively TERRIBLE.

Non is the perfect name for that villain - he's been a total non-factor this season. Zero charisma, zero menace, with a costume that looks worse than what a dedicated cosplayer could put together in a day. Laura Vandervoort as Indigo - well, I guess we now know the reason why she hasn't made it bigger as an actress: she can't act her way out of a paper bag.

More will-they, won't they with Jimmy Olsen - they just had to fit that in yet again in the finale, before resolving it. zzz

I liked the earlier episodes and some of the others have been good (like the Flash), but the last two episodes of the season were just so, so, so, so, so bad that it just hammered home all of the weaknesses of the series for me. I feel like the series felt fresh early on, but has just become formulaic with the same few sub-plots getting recycled over and over and over and over and over and over and the dialogue getting more and more soapy/melodramatic/cringe-worthy of late. I've seen enough.

I'm not totally out on it, but I generally agree with what you said about the last two eps. but on a bigger scale, I think NON was the worst part of this season, he just didn't make me care one way or another, not in the same way some of the other tv 'big bads' have on the other comic shows. I think it would have been 'better' if not a bit darker for Auntie to be almost redeemed then have NON killed, then Auntie be permananently twisted to the darkside while Kara keeps believing she can still change her back for good (but she can't and has to destroy her ultimately). But that's probably not the same show. This show is an innocuous cupcake for families to enjoy together, and I think it performs that job admirably well and gives plenty of nods to the fanboys. But everyonce in a while, we get reminded its not built for 'us' exclusively, or even primarily.

OMG, I'm so glad it wasn't just me.

I was afraid I was going to get jumped on for saying how lazily it was produced.

Now, I haven't watched all of the season, but jumped back on during the last five shows or so. Up until the last couple, I regretted missing them.

But boy oh boy, what a cruddy way to end the season.

I'm gonna put some spoilers for Bats.

It was just the little stuff, Superman is in a coma (I think? We only see his little red booties as Kara walks by him to check on her friend.) It's her cousin and world savior and she doesn't even look at him. They don't have to show him, just take a second to acknowledge you might be worried.

Then there is the whole constant villains scheming over their plans that seemed right out of the Power Rangers. These bad guy kind of hideouts on comic shows died out during the Sylvester McCoy years on Doctor Who. I'm surprised they didn't have an ugly DUFF sidekick they slapped around silly for cheap laughs.

Benoist has no chemistry with the actor who plays James Olsen. They are both good actors (Benoist a little more generous with her screen time, intentional or not), but there is no sparks.

The intitial solution to the original threat felt too forced.

Surprised, Al Green and Annie Lennox didn't show up to play "Have a Little Love Your Heart." There needed to be more characters helping this cable access show message

. Benoist acted like she ran out of stuff to say. "Help me Help you. Help me Help you..."

Not enough for me to be convinced a brainwashed drone would even bothering listening to in the first place.

To me, it looked like they ran out of money and stretched the effects budget too thin in the first place. So we got a rushed ending, involving a surprise...

rescue.

There's so many things to list.

I'm gonna buy the season on Black Friday and follow it next season (somewhat). But, it's obviously entering camp. Hopefully, they can "ground" it better next season.

I am a big fan of this maiden season of Supergirl, with so, so many things done incredibly well from -script to production quality, FX and characters (e.g., Cat Grant; Martian Manhunter).

But this season-ending episode was a big let down.

How easily Supergirl gives a "hope" speech on broadcast television (somehow, everyone was tuned in to the same channel) and POOF!, everyone is cured. Something out of an early DC Silver Age issue of Superman. LAZY WRITING. Not injecting Superman into one of the two episodes? LAZY WRITING. Alex Danvers piloting Kara's craft to save Kara -- SERIOUSLY? How the heck did Alex -- an alcoholic clubber 3 years ago -- learn to pilot that ship in just a few minutes and give Chuck Yeager and Neil Armstrong a run for their money? How did she flip open the canopy to drag Supergirl in? Let me guess: there was an astronaut suit inside and she did a spacewalk to snatch up Kara, with plenty of room for two adults inside. And since when did Kara become vulnerable to being in space, unlike her cuz? The most fitting ending would have been having a CGI-generated image of Superman rescuing Kara and flying her back down to Earth. I was certain that was going to happen. I guessed wrong!

PS. I have no problem with Non. He's a good actor (all that pent up anger) and he did cause the death of one person on the penultimate episode -- all on a family show on CBS.

The most fitting ending would have been having a CGI-generated image of Superman rescuing Kara and flying her back down to Earth. I was certain that was going to happen. I guessed wrong!

Remember that frame when Kara was saying her good-byes to jonn Jjohnz (oh I forget)? I kept thinking Superman was gonna sit up in it and say he was ready to help and we would actually get a worthy season ending surprise. Nope, all we got was "Little red booties" (Superman: The Movie reference.) Why even bother to use him as a plot device?

I am a big fan of this maiden season of Supergirl, with so, so many things done incredibly well from -script to production quality, FX and characters (e.g., Cat Grant; Martian Manhunter).

But this season-ending episode was a big let down.

How easily Supergirl gives a "hope" speech on broadcast television (somehow, everyone was tuned in to the same channel) and POOF!, everyone is cured. Something out of an early DC Silver Age issue of Superman. LAZY WRITING. Not injecting Superman into one of the two episodes? LAZY WRITING. Alex Danvers piloting Kara's craft to save Kara -- SERIOUSLY? How the heck did Alex -- an alcoholic clubber 3 years ago -- learn to pilot that ship in just a few minutes and give Chuck Yeager and Neil Armstrong a run for their money? How did she flip open the canopy to drag Supergirl in? Let me guess: there was an astronaut suit inside and she did a spacewalk to snatch up Kara, with plenty of room for two adults inside. And since when did Kara become vulnerable to being in space, unlike her cuz? The most fitting ending would have been having a CGI-generated image of Superman rescuing Kara and flying her back down to Earth. I was certain that was going to happen. I guessed wrong!

PS. I have no problem with Non. He's a good actor (all that pent up anger) and he did cause the death of one person on the penultimate episode -- all on a family show on CBS.

When Supergirl and Non finally fought in the end...

I was surprised they went as far as to show she had burned out his eyes with her heat vision.

YdU1nEs.png

IVx9GGc.png

And when J’onn J’onzz fights Indigo (Brainiac)...

he tears her in half to be done with her finally.

lxXMqES.png

MgxDa9v.png

If the show had kept up the story with that much intensity between the two finale episodes, it could have ended extremely solid. Right now, it ended at 'good'.

I'm not sure that is the way you want your first season to end. Especially when Season Two has not been officially announced yet.

The last two episodes of the season were just so bad that I'm dropping the series. The dialogue was just so melodramatically cringe-worthy it's not funny. "I'm not...going to fight...my sister!" :facepalm: How many variants of that have they had recently? And could that broadcast speech by Supergirl to break the Myriad influence have been any sappier? And Supergirl and her sister having that long, languorous, loving sisterly dialogue as the seconds tick down to the amplified Myriad killing everyone on earth - uh, hello, really? And then she lifts the 100 million tons (!!) of Ft. Rozz, flies it into space, her sister zips off in SG's pod (??) and saves her and she wakes up like nothing happened, all in like 30 seconds. I mean, if you take off your fanboy/fangirl hats, this episode was objectively TERRIBLE.

Non is the perfect name for that villain - he's been a total non-factor this season. Zero charisma, zero menace, with a costume that looks worse than what a dedicated cosplayer could put together in a day. Laura Vandervoort as Indigo - well, I guess we now know the reason why she hasn't made it bigger as an actress: she can't act her way out of a paper bag.

More will-they, won't they with Jimmy Olsen - they just had to fit that in yet again in the finale, before resolving it. zzz

I liked the earlier episodes and some of the others have been good (like the Flash episode), but the last two episodes of the season were just so, so, so, so, so bad that it just hammered home all of the weaknesses of the series for me. The series felt fresh early on, but has just become formulaic with the same few sub-plots getting recycled over and over and over and over and over and over and the dialogue getting more and more and more and more and more soapy/melodramatic/cringe-worthy of late. I've seen enough.

Totally agree. Was telling my wife the same thing the past two weeks. The faith of the world is at stake and these two dumb arses are taking their time to discuss their feelings. So damn cheezy!

Nothing beats a Streaky/Krypto picture showdown :foryou:

DC geeks lol

So what should I speculate on:

Action Comics 261 (1st Streaky)? Or Adventure Comics 210 (1st Krypto)? (shrug)

Yes!

:whee:

The last two episodes of the season were just so bad that I'm dropping the series. The dialogue was just so melodramatically cringe-worthy it's not funny. "I'm not...going to fight...my sister!" :facepalm: How many variants of that have they had recently? And could that broadcast speech by Supergirl to break the Myriad influence have been any sappier? And Supergirl and her sister having that long, languorous, loving sisterly dialogue as the seconds tick down to the amplified Myriad killing everyone on earth - uh, hello, really? And then she lifts the 100 million tons (!!) of Ft. Rozz, flies it into space, her sister zips off in SG's pod (??) and saves her and she wakes up like nothing happened, all in like 30 seconds. I mean, if you take off your fanboy/fangirl hats, this episode was objectively TERRIBLE.

I liked the earlier episodes and some of the others have been good (like the Flash episode), but the last two episodes of the season were just so, so, so, so, so bad that it just hammered home all of the weaknesses of the series for me. The series felt fresh early on, but has just become formulaic with the same few sub-plots getting recycled over and over and over and over and over and over and the dialogue getting more and more and more and more and more soapy/melodramatic/cringe-worthy of late. I've seen enough.

Totally agree. Was telling my wife the same thing the past two weeks. The faith of the world is at stake and these two dumb arses are taking their time to discuss their feelings. So damn cheezy!

similar questions about the bvs

Like when supes has 1hr to save his mom and stops to chitchat with lois?

I think she should have been able to save all 3 people that jumped off the building. Jimmy said even Superman couldnt have saved them all. I dont beleive that, I think he could have saved at least 20

And since when cant kryptonians survive in space ?

I think she should have been able to save all 3 people that jumped off the building. Jimmy said even Superman couldnt have saved them all. I dont beleive that, I think he could have saved at least 20

And since when cant kryptonians survive in space?

Here's another WTF moment.

Couldn't the Manhunter guy just showed up and shielded Alex's mind again, instead of bringing her mother to talk her down. Alex could have easily just stabbed her to death.

Others will say it was to show the weakness in the mind control, but it seemed like an unlikely risk on the battlefield one would make.

I agree with the comments about the recent dialog in this series.

It is so bad it is almost offensive.

I take that back, it is utterly offensive.

I have not read all the pages in this thread, so perhaps this has already been brought up, if not, then can someone tell me how Supergirl got her ears pierced?

This series needs new and far better writers.

I have not read all the pages in this thread, so perhaps this has already been brought up, if not, then can someone tell me how Supergirl got her ears pierced?

That's too easy to explain. She was a teenager when she was on Krypton. She had them pierced there;)

I understand that many of you are expecting Academy Award level writing on these shows...and I do agree that the 30 second rescue attempt was on the dumb... :o side....

However, as a DC fan, and a long time DC reader...I can fantasize....I'm thrilled with the costumes, Indigo's reminded me a little too much of that blue Marvel girl, but Jonn Jonzz is better than I expected. I just suspend my sense of reality and enjoy watching.

BTW, the reason I stopped reading Spidey when I was a kid was that he was too whiney, talk about angst and drama....yikes!, shades of Anna Karenina;) ...DC was always just dumb fun Sci Fi;)

Intellectual it was not;)

I wish there was a way for them to bring in Comet;)

I understand that many of you are expecting Academy Award level writing on these shows...and I do agree that the 30 second rescue attempt was on the dumb... :o side....

I need a 500 ft. tall crane to maintain the suspension of my belief after the last couple of episodes. I know it's a show about a woman in a gravity defying miniskirt, but we are entering a quality that rivals the third season of Wonder Woman. :ohnoez: