• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE HULK #181 CLUB
24 24

1,668 posts in this topic

Just how many copies of Hulk #181 are there?? Seems to be a limitless supply. There's a seller on eBay right now who, if you check his sold listings, has absolute tonnage of books like Hulk #181, Silver Surfer #'s 1 and 4, Spider-Man #'s 50, 129, 238 and 300, Avengers #57, Iron Man #1 etc and many more. I counted 24 sold copies of Hulk #181 and 14 of Silver Surfer #1 (1968) in just the three months going back to early June. He has more of each currently listed as well. And this guy has been selling these particular issues (and more) for many years now.
I won't name him, but there's definitely warehouse quantities at play here. It seems like an endless supply. Does this not concern anyone who's paying hundreds or thousands for these 'rare' books? Anyone else can check these sales as easily as I can..

6 hours ago, kustomizer said:

Just how many copies of Hulk #181 are there?? Seems to be a limitless supply. There's a seller on eBay right now who, if you check his sold listings, has absolute tonnage of books like Hulk #181, Silver Surfer #'s 1 and 4, Spider-Man #'s 50, 129, 238 and 300, Avengers #57, Iron Man #1 etc and many more. I counted 24 sold copies of Hulk #181 and 14 of Silver Surfer #1 (1968) in just the three months going back to early June. He has more of each currently listed as well. And this guy has been selling these particular issues (and more) for many years now.
I won't name him, but there's definitely warehouse quantities at play here. It seems like an endless supply. Does this not concern anyone who's paying hundreds or thousands for these 'rare' books? Anyone else can check these sales as easily as I can..

lol I don't think anyone ever had said those books were "rare" in any shape form or fashion ha. But ya rarity is not the only factor that causes a book to be expensive. Some of those issues mentioned are like beloved family member characters :) 

I take that back, I remember thinking to myself and also mentioning that I thought IH #180 was offered less for sale than #181, to the point it may be "rare" or at least rarer than #181 :) 

Well, of the 24 copies of Hulk #181 this guy sold in the past three months, only one was CGC'd. The rest are raw, so there is no way of telling how many boxloads the guy still has.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/all_things_comics/m.html?item=203080954519&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=hulk 181&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

Edited by kustomizer
typo

41 minutes ago, kustomizer said:

Well, of the 24 copies of Hulk #181 this guy sold in the past three months, only one was CGC'd. The rest are raw, so there is no way of telling how many boxloads the guy still has.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/all_things_comics/m.html?item=203080954519&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=hulk 181&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

this thread is informative if you re not familar with the seller.

18 hours ago, kustomizer said:

Yes,  not rare but there is a massive demand... wolverine is almost important as spiderman to marvel

1 minute ago, Wolverinex said:

Yes,  not rare but there is a massive demand... wolverine is almost important as spiderman to marvel

I wonder though, if there are hundreds or thousands of uncirculated 181's out there, shouldn't the value be lower?

2 hours ago, etowah1123 said:

Um........…no

I dunno, before I put several grand into a book, I'd like to know whether or not there are countless quantities of uncirculated copies out there. Maybe that's just me, though.

Edited by kustomizer
typo

8 hours ago, kustomizer said:

Why not? That's how supply and demand works.

It's how supply and demand works, but how would you estimate the demand now that you've estimated supply?

By the price, hence why it is not a low price, seemingly demand is able to keep up with your estimated supply. :)

i get where you're coming from though, it's just don't under estimate the demand of a household name...

10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's how supply and demand works, but how would you estimate the demand now that you've estimated supply?

By the price, hence why it is not a low price, seemingly demand is able to keep up with your estimated supply. :)

i get where you're coming from though, it's just don't under estimate the demand of a household name...

Well, the problem is, nobody knows how many this guy has in his secret stash.

6 minutes ago, kustomizer said:

Well, the problem is, nobody knows how many this guy has in his secret stash.

The idea that ONE guy is going to topple the supply and demand of a book that already has 10,000+ slabs, sounds silly to me but to each his own

Just now, comicdonna said:
3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

The idea that ONE guy is going to topple the supply and demand of a book that already has 10,000+ slabs, sounds silly to me but to each his own

@Calamerica

Why you Dickens, you went there hahaha

Is iron man submariner #1 demand there after 10,000 slabbed and one person is going to topple that demand?

Lol I get your point but I don't think @Calamerica is trying to kill demand quite the opposite in fact hahaha

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I heard a couple of days ago that there's at least one other guy with cases of 181. Whenever he needs cash, he peels off a few more. I hope that doesn't sound too silly to you.

1 minute ago, Bukeus said:

Hi all,   New Owner of a Hulk 181 Double cover, which is in for cleaning/pressing/grading this week.   Can anyone tell me how rare this book actually is?  

Not really as double covers aren't broken out in the census. :)

but a cool book none the less ;)