Comprehensive List of DC Universe Logo UPC Variants
14 14

1,466 posts in this topic

111 posts
13 hours ago, Warlord said:

Neat find, I don't think anyone in this thread has reported GL55 with a sticker before.  We've seen Detective 690, Flash 94, GL59, Superman 104, and SMOS 42, so I'd say this is a 6th part of that set.  Nice!  :applause:

Nice! That’s really cool!

 

Love this thread:)

 

V.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,925 posts
On 1/3/2020 at 7:25 PM, Warlord said:

Neat find, I don't think anyone in this thread has reported GL55 with a sticker before.  We've seen Detective 690, Flash 94, GL59, Superman 104, and SMOS 42, so I'd say this is a 6th part of that set.  Nice!  :applause:

I pulled a GL55 with a sticker today at a somewhat local show in Laurel, Maryland.  If anyone really wants me to scan it, I will post it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
674 posts
1 minute ago, Aweandlorder said:

When I first saw this listed I laughed  at the error. Can not believe that it shows as sold... now I wonder what a Rare Key with a true error like double cover would actually bring...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,198 posts

I come across these often in the wild, and I assume that they are the more common ones. If anyone needs any in particular let me know and I can see if a local place has any for sale!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
819 posts
On 2/17/2020 at 4:41 PM, mysterio said:

Been a while since I was able to find one I needed in the wild, but persistence pays off.

Detective685.jpg

congrats... you just found one of the really tough ones!

Edited by Cpt Kirk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,116 posts

What is the story on the DC bullets again? They are part of the same set as the DCUs? I recall reading about it here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
819 posts
On 4/12/2020 at 2:52 PM, The Commissioner said:

First DC Universe UPC variant in my collection!

Batman 515.jpg

Good job.   If you are obsessive compulsive, you will soon be wanting to get them all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
70 posts
On 1/2/2020 at 9:57 PM, Vfactor1 said:

My $1 Pick-ups at Half Price Books...

 

2F5301FB-00F1-4050-922B-6F56252ABFA2.thumb.jpeg.5dd9ab801ce85be6b4a6019888bf9368.jpeg

V.

Half Price Books, when they reopen, can be a good source.  It's hard to find Superman/Doomsday: Hunter Prey without retailers having added a board in back, where the DCU box is on the back covers (hidden).  But I did find a really sharp loose copy of #2 in one of their stores, $1.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
404 posts
Posted (edited)
On 2/20/2020 at 10:34 AM, comicginger1789 said:

I come across these often in the wild, and I assume that they are the more common ones. If anyone needs any in particular let me know and I can see if a local place has any for sale!

Probably some of mine lol.  I've thrown out or sold for pennies tons of these.  Used to live off comic packs in the early 90s.  I just pulled about 8 flash copies with this upc out of my throwaway box I was giving to my nephew -_-

 

Are the issues with just the small round DC logo as scarce?  I just pulled one from my giveaway stack, and can't find much info on it other than a mention on the first page.

Edited by waaaghboss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
819 posts
Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2020 at 3:21 PM, waaaghboss said:

Probably some of mine lol.  I've thrown out or sold for pennies tons of these.  Used to live off comic packs in the early 90s.  I just pulled about 8 flash copies with this upc out of my throwaway box I was giving to my nephew -_-

 

Are the issues with just the small round DC logo as scarce?  I just pulled one from my giveaway stack, and can't find much info on it other than a mention on the first page.

The ones with the small round DC logo are not too hard to find.  They originally came from the 20-pack "bricks".   I think you will see some photos of a typical 20-pack earlier in this thread.

Interesting to me that it has been a long time now since we have seen a previously unknown DCU variant show up.  I'm still looking for Adv of Superman 530, Superman MOS 49, and Superman 95 DCUs (I've been looking for more than 8 years). One of the kings of variants, Jerome Wenker (now retired from collecting), thought those existed but he admits himself that his database had been known to contain errors.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,066 posts
9 minutes ago, Cpt Kirk said:

The ones with the small round DC logo are not too hard to find.  They originally came from the 20-pack "bricks".   I think you will see some photos of a typical 20-pack earlier in this thread.

I'd respectfully disagree with you a bit in that (in my experience) some of the "DC bullet" variants can be fairly difficult to find. The Batman Adventures #14, the Star Trek issues, and the Showcase '93/4 (can't remember which year off the top of my head) were very tough for me to find. At the other end of the spectrum, the Detective #669, the Action and Adventures of Superman issues, and the Flash #85 are not that tough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
404 posts
2 hours ago, mysterio said:

I'd respectfully disagree with you a bit in that (in my experience) some of the "DC bullet" variants can be fairly difficult to find. The Batman Adventures #14, the Star Trek issues, and the Showcase '93/4 (can't remember which year off the top of my head) were very tough for me to find. At the other end of the spectrum, the Detective #669, the Action and Adventures of Superman issues, and the Flash #85 are not that tough.

A flash 85 is one of the few that survived my purge :) It seems like, at least on Ebay, more sellers are aware of the universe copies and mark their labeling to reflect it.  I even found one guy who priced up a bunch of his dc universe books but has 3 bullets at the same price as his bulk.  

 

I'm going to a shop next week that has dozens of 25 cent long boxes to dig through.  I cleared out most of the marvel bronze so it's nice to have a new goal. I did get lucky with a very rare batman reprint last time so in feeling lucky. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
819 posts
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, mysterio said:

I'd respectfully disagree with you a bit in that (in my experience) some of the "DC bullet" variants can be fairly difficult to find. The Batman Adventures #14, the Star Trek issues, and the Showcase '93/4 (can't remember which year off the top of my head) were very tough for me to find. At the other end of the spectrum, the Detective #669, the Action and Adventures of Superman issues, and the Flash #85 are not that tough.

Great point.  I wonder if some of those hard-to-find ones you are talking about did not come in those 16- and 20-back bricks.   There were actually three of those packs (two 20-packs and one 16-pack).  I suspect the rare ones came from a pack that had lower distribution.   

Edited by Cpt Kirk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,066 posts
2 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Great point.  I wonder if some of those hard-to-find ones you are talking about did not come in those 16- and 20-back bricks.   There were actually three of those packs (two 20-packs and one 16-pack).  I suspect the rare ones came from a pack that had lower distribution.   

That's a good question, and not one I know the answer to. I'm unaware of any mini-packs that have "bullet" books in them, and I would think that they would have to be limited to that one month period prior to the changeover to DCU variants because that is what the more common issues like Detective #669 and Flash #85 all fall into. Yet another interesting mystery in this series!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
14 14