• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (May-2018)
5 5

1,501 posts in this topic

Epic movie, simply epic. Hit all my expectations and more. Hard not to put this at the top of the list for me. Hope this one goes to the top in $$ for Marvel as it blows everything else away IMO.

Spoiler

Glad Thor got a weapon back but really didn't like the axe. I get it but I just love the classic hammer for him even though it had to be an axe to do what he did. Glad to see him back in his uniform too. Annoyed the Hulk didn't change but it was an interesting ark like he was scared to come out after getting thrashed by Thanos. Still want to see them go at it again though. Paging Cpt Marvel, didn't see that one coming. 

Great film.  Loved the entire Thanos story, but I had one question about what his ultimate goal was:

Spoiler

Why exactly half of all life forms?  Seems like on some planets he might want to take 90%, some 10%.  Half of all life everywhere seems contrived.  I thought we may eventually get him explaining that some worlds who were close to consuming all of their resources would get a severe culling and others little or none, but nope, all I ever heard was half, and it seemed as though roughly half of the heroes disappeared at the end.

28 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Great film.  Loved the entire Thanos story, but I had one question about what his ultimate goal was:

Hide contents

Why exactly half of all life forms?  Seems like on some planets he might want to take 90%, some 10%.  Half of all life everywhere seems contrived.  I thought we may eventually get him explaining that some worlds who were close to consuming all of their resources would get a severe culling and others little or none, but nope, all I ever heard was half, and it seemed as though roughly half of the heroes disappeared at the end.

"Perfectly balanced...as all things should be."

Spoiler

The point is that Thanos doesn't see himself as the bad guy.  In his head, 50/50 is fair.

Just saw it.  My thoughts:

Trailers:

Venom Trailer - meh - looks like they might be messing this one up.  CGI venom does not look that great to me.  I'm not big on it's orgin story or on Tom's portrayal. Not enough of a tortured soul going on.

Deadpool Trailer - meh + Still not a fan of their version of cable or Domino.  Don't even ask about Shatterstar.  Not liking the lack of face paint and don't think the phro looks that great on her.  The comedy and action will be it's saving grace.

I'll likely still watch both but going in with much lower expectations than before seeing the trailers.

Avenger's Infinity War movie rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

Action: 5 stars

Plot: 2 stars

Characters and dialogue: 4 stars

Special Effects: 5 stars

Drama: 5 stars

From start to finish you are definitely on a 2.5 hour thrill ride.  The action and pace keep you going to the point where you don't ever feel like the movie has dragged on too long or wonder where it's going. By the end however, you and most of the audience has had it's heart and head strings pulled as you try to reconcile and comprehend the meaning and ramifications of the outcome.  At the end everyone walked out in silence and in disbelief.  The plot vehicles do feel obvious and forced and I did have mental face palms when our heroes made bad decisions with predictable outcomes and only served to enable or drive towards the inevitable outcome. 

Spoilers: What I didn't necessarily like:

Spoiler

The plot vehicle along with Thano's entire MO from the original Infinity war diverged from his desire to please and court the living embodiment of "Death".  I'm a little disappointed but I'm actually fine with that as I thought their shift in Thano's MO to a less selfish, albeit equally insane, more altruistic reason for wanting to kill half the living things in the universe to prevent what he sees as certain doom allows for a deeper and more philosophical justification.  However, the methods and directions the plot must sustain to reach this goal for him seem sometimes forced, obvious, and sometimes unnecessary.  

For example: When Dr. Strange and any of the other keepers of the Infinity Stones seek to protect rather than immediately attempt to destroy their stones.  But to make a bad decision worse, they decide to meet and fight Thanos on his own turf after he's already acquired 2 stones making him the most powerful being.  Not a good plan. Sure their plan "nearly" worked but only after Dr. Strange reviewed all possible outcomes to find the 1 in 14 billion outcomes (that presumably requires Tony Stark to be kept alive to achieve).  Had he instead used the time gem to go further back in time to review the possible outcomes, it's more likely there would have been more than 1 possibility that could have resulted in a successful outcome and perhaps prevented him from getting any of the other 2 stones.  I mean if you are wielding an infinity stone that controls Time, why not use it intelligently rather than practically hand deliver it.  Of course, that is necessary as the movie NEEDS Thanos to succeed for us to get to part 2. I'm not disappointed with the outcome, just the execution and excuse for the lead up to the outcome.

Same with Vision and his mind gem.  Had Wanda destroyed it prior to Thanos acquiring the Time gem, it would be game over right? But where would that leave Thanos?  so of course through an elaborate winding trajectory that takes them through Wakanda which serves to help reunite Bucky with the rest of the team and Thor's come back to attempt to remove the gem.  Meanwhile an impractical all ground  assault is levied when a simple wave of Thanos's hand or some other powerful weapon that could annihilate Earth's greatest heroes in one swoop.  Of course that ground assault allows for the non-cosmic and more mortal/lesser powered heroes to get into the action and take part.  Frankly, by that point once Thanos had the power and space stones (and Reality/Time/Souls stones he could  easily have eliminated anyone in his way.

Which leads me to my other disappointment.  Though we do get to see some impressive displays of Thanos's powers through the infinity stones, I was expecting to see more.  Strangely, Thanos uses a ton of restraint when battling or dealing with many of the heroes, most of whom he likely deems as no better than insects.  Rather than fighting Dr. Strange and half the Guardians + Spiderman in hand to hand combat on Titan or Captain America in Wakanda, he could simply have wiped them out.  I just felt some of the imagination shown in the comics was left out.  He could have crushed Dr. Strange to the size of an atom in order to extract the Time Stone.

Vision's character was equality disappointing and handicapped.  His previous prowess somehow seemed muted and played the victim throughout most of the movie.  I was so looking forward to an epic battle with him wielding the mind gem. 

Lastly, I was disappointed with the utter lack of Galactic/Cosmic powerhouses.  Fate, Infinity, Chaos, Order, Mephisto, the Elementals/Celestials.  These are all powerful beings that made a great run at Thanos during and after his acquisition of the gems and would have been epic to see them but perhaps Disney doesn't own those rights. 

No Warlock appearance - not even a cameo, awakening, or hint of his existence.

No Captain Marvel appearance - just a stupid hint at a message sent to her from Fury.  BTW, where the hell was she at this whole time if she was reachable via pager?

Hulk being a scaredy cat and being a no-show for the rest of the movie after getting his whipped by Thanos.

No watchers appearance

No new significant hero introductions.

No Antman - WTF?

What I did like:

Spoiler

Red Skull appearance - now we know where he disappeared to and what happened to him after Captain America the first Avenger.

Thanos acquiring the soul gem and having to sacrifice Gamora showing just how much he truly did love and care for her.  Definitely added depth to his character.

The Thanos origin and Gamora back story

Iron Spider-Man suit.

Seeing Pepper Potts again

Bruce Banner in the Hulk Buster suit

Rhody walking again with prosthetics

Peter Dinklage

Killing Tom Holland's Spider-man - is it too much to expect that he'll stay dead and Marvel/Sony will have to reboot his character for the next Spider-Man movie?

Thor getting a brand new hammer.

1 hour ago, darkstar said:

Toy Story 3 was bad though.

A story about a boy getting too old for his toys and how his toys will react when faced with abandonment or death?  It seems like a compelling notion when you look back at your own childhood.  I personally liked Toy Story 3 (not as much as the first 2), but that's neither here nor there since this is an IW thread.  :p

7 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

"Perfectly balanced...as all things should be."

Reveal hidden contents

The point is that Thanos doesn't see himself as the bad guy.  In his head, 50/50 is fair.

I'm not suggesting it's a plot hole; I suspect he may have a very good reason for what he's doing.  Or that one was given in the comic that they just didn't explore in the film.  I mostly asked for that reason since I didn't read Infinity Gauntlet...the idea of those gems seemed dumb to me when it came out in 1991 so I never read it.  But...

Spoiler

I might actually view him as the hero of the film myself if I could figure out why he's just going for half.  I was buying his perspective based upon the fact that his people on Titan killed themselves by exhausting all their resources, but why cull planets where that isn't anywhere close to happening yet?

Edited by fantastic_four

A question about the soul stone and the guy guarding it:

Spoiler

So last we saw Red Skull, he grabbed the Tesseract at the end of the first Captain America film and was transported to some unknown place in the galaxy.  Now, we see him in this film guarding the soul stone.  How'd he get there, do we know, or is that just left open?

Edited by fantastic_four

8 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

He wasn't just written with a lot of depth, but you can also (to an extenet) understand why he is trying to do what he is doing. Just look at the disasters we are facing with our own planet (99% of them can be linked right back to overpopulation). That for me was one of the most ingenious ways Thanos was written and it couldn't have come at a more perfect time given our own challenges we face here on Earth. 

Here is a really good spoiler free review:

http://www.startribune.com/avengers-infinity-war-delivers-major-achievement-in-superhero-storytelling/480852531/

Not even close. At least for the vast majority of MCU fans, this is a grand slam all the way. The 93% rating from the audience on Rottentomatoes is proof of that thus far. Of course, no film ever winds up getting 100% ratings across the board. There are always the select few that see things different. I guess you just might be one of those people. Kinda makes me feel bad for you. Just can't imagine being an MCU fan and not absolutely loving this film because of the reason you stated. 

I'm not an MCU fan, I'm a Marvel comics fan.

And I think they never missed an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

Other than to make money.

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

A story about a boy getting too old for his toys and how his toys will react when faced with abandonment or death?  It seems like a compelling notion when you look back at your own childhood.  I personally liked Toy Story 3 (not as much as the first 2), but that's neither here nor there since this is an IW thread.  :p

The screenwriter's failure to commit to incinerating any of the toys makes it a bad movie. 

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I'm not suggesting it's a plot hole; I suspect he may have a very good reason for what he's doing.  Or that one was given in the comic that they just didn't explore in the film.  I mostly asked for that reason since I didn't read Infinity Gauntlet...the idea of those gems seemed dumb to me when it came out in 1991 so I never read it.  But...

Hide contents

I might actually view him as the hero of the film myself if I could figure out why he's just going for half.  I was buying his perspective based upon the fact that his people on Titan killed themselves by exhausting all their resources, but why cull planets where that isn't anywhere close to happening yet?

Just in case the comic didn't explain the answer to my question and nobody else has ideas, I thought of an answer to my own question:

Spoiler

The task of determining how much of each species on each planet to cull throughout the entire universe is likely an impossible task.  Thanos doing it instantaneously may be the best he thinks he can achieve.

I still need to mull over his motivations more, but I may not be able to rule out Thanos as the actual hero of this film and the entire Marvel universe of "heroes" as the villains.  Humans do what Thanos is attempting to do in this film all the time with life on planet Earth.  Are we absolutely sure that what he's doing isn't for the greater good of the universe? hm

I'm REALLY not used to superhero films making me think about questions this deep.  Bravo to the screenwriters of this film and Black Panther for tying the central theme of the films in to actual issues of universal social and/or existential significance.  :applause:

Edited by fantastic_four

It's been a long time since I posted. I mostly lurk these days but I just saw it and wanted to share my thoughts.

I loved it.

Secret wars and Infinity Gauntlet we're always my favorite mini series. I loved how Doom strived for God like powers and I very much enjoyed the brief moment when he tried to sieze the gauntlet for himself in the comics.

I always dreamed of this as a movie and I was in no way disappointed. I loved the character depth on Thanos and the cgi is much improved.

I typically choose not to go too deep or expect to do much from comic book movies though so take that for what it's worth.

I especially enjoyed...

Spoiler

Banner as the surfer replacement crashing into Dr. Strange's pad. They made an effort to pay homage to the artwork from IG1.

Also I really appreciated the farmer scene at the end.

Overall just blown away. So happy.

Not sure how this one will finally fit into my favourite Marvel movies list yet but the best part is I never lost interest during the entire movie so when that happens something must be going right for me.

I really enjoyed the ending which although is clearly a cliffhanger as expected with a 2 part movie it was also a real ending of sorts if not the one you expected or hoped for. 

Even the only solo end Easter egg credit was a perfect lead into the next chapter.

I did take the advice they were giving about seeing the movie early because spoilers are going to hit big with this one.

36 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Not sure how this one will finally fit into my favourite Marvel movies list yet

I'm thinking somewhere in the top 15 of all superhero films, but I haven't decided where yet.  I'll be updating my list once I figure it out.

55 minutes ago, zuul said:

It's been a long time since I posted. I mostly lurk these days but I just saw it and wanted to share my thoughts.

I loved it.

Secret wars and Infinity Gauntlet we're always my favorite mini series. I loved how Doom strived for God like powers and I very much enjoyed the brief moment when he tried to sieze the gauntlet for himself in the comics.

I always dreamed of this as a movie and I was in no way disappointed. I loved the character depth on Thanos and the cgi is much improved.

I typically choose not to go too deep or expect to do much from comic book movies though so take that for what it's worth.

I especially enjoyed...

Reveal hidden contents

Banner as the surfer replacement crashing into Dr. Strange's pad. They made an effort to pay homage to the artwork from IG1.

Also I really appreciated the farmer scene at the end.

Overall just blown away. So happy.

Weird. That was me but it was from my phone. For some reason it thought I was a new person? ???