• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Under/Over-Graded CGC Books

102 posts in this topic

Notes should be included in the price of the grading.

Correct. They could have built this cost into the cost of submission, announced that notes were included and no one would be person_without_enough_empathying about it. Instead, they chose to go the route they did.

It's almost exactly the same complaint people make about a seller specifying that buyers must add 3% extra is paying by Paypal.

Just be smart about it, build it into your sell price and then it's invisible to the buyer. (ignorance if bliss)

I agree. They wouldn't even need to print them. They could just copy and past their notes into your email. I wonder how much money they make by not going this route.

Act_348_98_zps0d9043d2.jpg

:cry: -solid 9.2

Yeah. Why weren't the spine ticks taken into account...or were they? Do you have the grade notes?

It's not mine. It's from wwcomics.com website.

You have to wonder if kids in the 60s looked at a cover like this and realized how utterly goofy it is. Superman can't wait to get away from being Superman in order to become a secret agent? lol Gee, I can't wait to change back into a suit and fight my nation's threats as an ordinary guy with a machine gun. :screwy:

I bought this raw and first submitted it for the encapsulation below. Definitely undergraded, since it later became somebody else's 9.8 meh

JIM115.jpg

Undergraded or improved after a pressing? There is a difference as we all know

You have to wonder if kids in the 60s looked at a cover like this and realized how utterly goofy it is. Superman can't wait to get away from being Superman in order to become a secret agent? lol Gee, I can't wait to change back into a suit and fight my nation's threats as an ordinary guy with a machine gun. :screwy:

lol That's quite the downgrade!

:cry: -solid 9.2

Yeah. Why weren't the spine ticks taken into account...or were they? Do you have the grade notes?

It seems the older the book, the more leeway the grading curve gets - which I personally think is wildly_fanciful_statement, but hey, it's not my company.

No way that is a 9.8, else every modern I've subbed is an easy 10.

;)

-slym

I'm just going strictly on eye appeal here. No graders' notes have been purchased, but I subbed the 3.0 myself and don't recall any major interior problems. Of course, I could have missed something. Bought the 4.5 already slabbed.

And I wholeheartedly agree that grading just based on a scan is not very accurate. Again, just strictly going on the eye appeal test, which book would you prefer?

These are both in my collection. Same scanner, same settings. One of these two grades as a 3.0 cr/ow and the other grades as 4.5 cr/ow.

Label notes on the first one: 2 staples added, not manufacturing. 2 tape stains on spine of cover.

scan0003a.jpg

scan0004a.jpg

No label notes on the second:

scan0001a.jpg

scan0002a.jpg

When you've decided, check out the grades:

scan0003.jpg

scan0001.jpg

Perhaps the spine ticks "weren't there" when CGC graded the book. It has been suggested that "poor" pressing jobs can result in what appears to be CGC overgrading...that is, poor pressing may result in only a temporary grade improvement, until the paper memory kicks back in and defects return...AFTER the book has been graded and put in the slab, of course. That is, spine ticks literally may not be there when CGC grades the book, and then reappear later because the press didn't set properly. CGC can only grade the book as it sits in front of them, which will usually occur within a relatively short window after the press.

This is a pretty interesting issue that I never thought about until I read a discussion about it recently in another thread: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8236804#Post8236804

I'm just going strictly on eye appeal here. No graders' notes have been purchased, but I subbed the 3.0 myself and don't recall any major interior problems. Of course, I could have missed something. Bought the 4.5 already slabbed.

And I wholeheartedly agree that grading just based on a scan is not very accurate. Again, just strictly going on the eye appeal test, which book would you prefer?

These are both in my collection. Same scanner, same settings. One of these two grades as a 3.0 cr/ow and the other grades as 4.5 cr/ow.

Label notes on the first one: 2 staples added, not manufacturing. 2 tape stains on spine of cover.

scan0003a.jpg

scan0004a.jpg

No label notes on the second:

scan0001a.jpg

scan0002a.jpg

When you've decided, check out the grades:

scan0003.jpg

scan0001.jpg

lol. I knew that is what you were going for. That is pitiful. :gossip: I think the grades should be reversed.

It's easier said than done in the heat of a bidding war, but people should buy the book, not the label. (I may disown that comment should I ever try to sell an overgraded book :insane: .) The Vancouver Namora #1 might be the most desirable book in the collection (maybe not, considering how high the Ellery Queen went this year), but it shouldn't have been slabbed as a 9.8. It sold for $13,800 in 2006 because somebody bid on the label, but then it sold for $7,767.50 in 2009—a year when comics sold very well, generally—probably because the bidders actually looked at the book, which should not have been graded higher than 9.4.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/namora-1-vancouver-pedigree-timely-1948-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7002-91179.s

The Mile High Pep 53 was slabbed as a 9.6 despite significant staple stress, a dull lower left corner, and a what looks like ding on the upper corner. I'd have called it a 9.2.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/pep-comics-53-mile-high-pedigree-mlj-1945-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/7007-91192.s#Photo

It's easier said than done in the heat of a bidding war, but people should buy the book, not the label. (I may disown that comment should I ever try to sell an overgraded book :insane: .) The Vancouver Namora #1 might be the most desirable book in the collection (maybe not, considering how high the Ellery Queen went this year), but it shouldn't have been slabbed as a 9.8. It sold for $13,800 in 2006 because somebody bid on the label, but then it sold for $7,767.50 in 2009—a year when comics sold very well, generally—probably because the bidders actually looked at the book, which should not have been graded higher than 9.4.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/namora-1-vancouver-pedigree-timely-1948-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7002-91179.s

The Mile High Pep 53 was slabbed as a 9.6 despite significant staple stress, a dull lower left corner, and a what looks like ding on the upper corner. I'd have called it a 9.2.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/pep-comics-53-mile-high-pedigree-mlj-1945-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/7007-91192.s#Photo

I agree that structurally they look to be over graded.

The 'Pedigree bump' is a very common thing, mainly because nice Ped books feel and smell nicer than an average copy and to a grader there is probably a psychological pressure to up the grade a bit just on that alone.

I know people have made fun of me for saying this but I heard this first hand from graders that well preserved, utlra high grade books can actually 'feel' different in hand than just any old high grade copy. That's a quality that's tough to get across through a plastic holder but it's real.

So when you are holding a 60 or 70 year old book that looks as fresh as the day it was printed it's tough to put it in the same holder as another copy in the same grade.

The same graders told me that when the Vancouver copies arrived on the scene they thought until then that the Church copies were the benchmark standard for what a White pages book looked like. Nobody actually knows what a comic looked like in 1940 unless you have a perfect memory so the Church books were the benchmark. The Vancouvers were even whiter. They were apparently shockingly nice.

It might just be a scanner artifact but there does appear to be a lot going on on the right hand side. (shrug)

Yeah it does look funny in pics,but all it is a tiny bit of curling.Really looks like a fresh new book.