• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DAREDEVIL #1 CLUB
15 15

940 posts in this topic

On 8/19/2017 at 7:05 AM, namisgr said:

Congrats, on having held onto a great copy.  What did you write on the cover there, that you owned 37 Daredevils?

It's been too long and old age is affecting the memory, most likely a note for something while reading comics in the tree fort.

6.0, which will surprise you unless you noticed that piece of stuck-tape down on the gangsters faces--luckily for me, it's as unobtrusive as it could be on this cover [no, it wasn't me who committed said comic-crime--I bought it that way!].

On 8/24/2017 at 10:04 AM, Straw-Man said:

6.0, which will surprise you unless you noticed that piece of stuck-tape down on the gangsters faces--luckily for me, it's as unobtrusive as it could be on this cover [no, it wasn't me who committed said comic-crime--I bought it that way!].

It's really not a big deal. Killer book otherwise. 

I have a question for the group.  I've noticed that on many copies of this book, like the one on this page above, the edge of the green rectangle along the right side doesn't run parallel to the right edge of the book.  In other words, the white "gutter" along the right edge gets wider as you go down.  Without seeing the back cover, I can't tell ... is that an indication of a misaligned / crooked wrap, or is that just the way the cover art lays out?

4 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I have a question for the group.  I've noticed that on many copies of this book, like the one on this page above, the edge of the green rectangle along the right side doesn't run parallel to the right edge of the book.  In other words, the white "gutter" along the right edge gets wider as you go down.  Without seeing the back cover, I can't tell ... is that an indication of a misaligned / crooked wrap, or is that just the way the cover art lays out?

From my understanding, this is a very common issue with this cover. The majority from what I have seen doesn't have a "parallel" alignment on the right edge of the cover, but I don't think that its an indication of miswrap.

7 hours ago, SECollector said:

From my understanding, this is a very common issue with this cover. The majority from what I have seen doesn't have a "parallel" alignment on the right edge of the cover, but I don't think that its an indication of miswrap.

Thanks very much for the response!

5 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Looking at this (gorgeous) copy, the back cover scan certainly seems to show a slight miswrap that would explain the crooked green rectangle.  Actually it's also visible at the upper left corner of the front cover.  This isn't necessarily true for the other copies I've seen -- for example the 9.4 on ComicLink doesn't show any obvious miswrap from the front cover scan but has similar alignment on the rectangle.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

7 hours ago, SECollector said:

That's my impression, too.  The book is frequently miscut slightly, so that the width is a little smaller along the top third than the bottom third.

12 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Well, this should be interesting. DD #1 CGC 9.4 with OW/W Pages. What do you all think it will go for?

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2017nov%23Item_1206068&id=1206068&itemType=0

I have no idea of the current market and so can't speculate on the price, but I can sure admire the gorgeous white cover paper of that copy.  :cloud9:

Well, because Straw Man showed his sweet Ohio Ped, I have to share my Rocky Mountain. This book shines. I've always loved DD1, and when I first started collecting heavily I slacked on getting a 6.0 for 1K. I would always see them and wanted at least a 6.0. That was the going rate for years. I eventually got a few lower grade copies, and after going back and forth with a great boardie last year, I picked this up. I love it, and am honored to have a big #1 in a Ped. The greens and colors are beautiful.

DD1 has always been undervalued in my opinion. I know many people say that about various books, but I'm sure we could all agree on this one. I'm glad the new show and recent superhero fandom has given it at least some credit that's been due for years. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, SpideyFein said:

Well, because Straw Man showed his sweet Ohio Ped, I have to share my Rocky Mountain. This book shines. I've always loved DD1, and when I first started collecting heavily I slacked on getting a 6.0 for 1K. I would always see them and wanted at least a 6.0. That was the going rate for years. I eventually got a few lower grade copies, and after going back and forth with a great boardie last year, I picked this up. I love it, and am honored to have a big #1 in a Ped. The greens and colors are beautiful.

DD1 has always been undervalued in my opinion. I know many people say that about various books, but I'm sure we could all agree on this one. I'm glad the new show and recent superhero fandom has given it at least some credit that's been due for years. 

:x 

Thanks for sharing. Lovely!

On 9/23/2017 at 9:05 PM, SpideyFein said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Great Pedigree copy!

Great backstory of the book and salutations to the collector that accompany it now (thumbsu

On 9/23/2017 at 1:25 AM, SECollector said:

It's a book with notoriously bad original production quality. There are so many things that can be wrong with a Daredevil #1 (as it looked on the shelves)  you just have to pick the issues you're comfortable with when trying to buy the book.